All reviewshot poolsswimming poolcontinental breakfaststovemotelcomfort
Reviewed 31 October 2017 via mobile

Such an awesome place to stay. Reasonable rate, the pool and mineral pools are amazing, staff are friendly, rooms are clean and inviting, fantastic location. Would definitely stay here again should I return to Rotorua.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
motel4u, Manager at Kowhai and Colonial Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

Thank you very much for your review Jarney. We are very happy to see you enjoyed your stay here at Kowhai & Colonial Motel.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

Not the flashest. But clean, friendly, and reliable. And I love the very-warm outdoor swimming pool.
Very good value for money, -and I always appreciate the full kitchen with stove so I can cook for myself.
Even if you don't have a spa-unit, the hot pools around the back are quaint.
I often spend time wondering what I would do if I were in charge of updating the motel, -but then I remmeber there aren't so many old originals left these days, and everything "modern" is so standardised, -so I stop wondering, and relax.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
motel4u, Manager at Kowhai and Colonial Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2017

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your review on Kowhai & Colonial Motel and warmly welcome you back.
We are slowly in the process of upgrading our premises.

Kind Regards,
Kowhai & Colonial Manager

Reviewed 3 April 2017

The owner is pleasant enough when she checks you in. But don't you dare have any fun before or talk to your guests.

We had a spa and due to the motel's terrible plumbing, the overflow outlet goes under the deck, through the wall and down the driveway - apparently our fault!?!?

We had two people with their 9 year old visit us. When we checked out the next day we were told there was no 'no friends policy', but there was a 'no friends in the spa' policy. In the spa we had four adults and a small child, hardly a party! And they left and were all asleep by 11pm.

If you wish to stay here I suggest you go to sleep by 7pm and don't talk to your fellow guests.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

The lady at reception was nice but this motel is EXTREMELY DATED. I was seriously grossed out with a lot of it and I never took my shoes off inside because I can feel the carpets are dirty. The curtains feel dusty and the rooms are just OLD and smells like it also. Stay away, we will never go back.

Sorry but just not worth it. I feel bad because the owner seems nice but this is the truth.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2017

We stayed here due to peak season and booking at the last minute but, I wouldn't stay again. The property is very tired and our unit was quite dark and didn't feel really clean. Location was okay but, you really need to have a car as not central. The hot pools did not look inviting at all.

Room Tip: Maybe road facing rooms wouldn't be so dark?
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family