“Attention to Detail Makes this Place Wonderful”
Review of YHA Napier

YHA Napier
Ranked #10 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Napier
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We did a fourteen night driving tour around New Zealand in 2010, staying in 10 hostels (we'd bought a book of vouchers along with 14 days car hire in a YHA package).

This hostel was without doubt the best of those ten. (By the way Rotorua YHA, although fairly new was dreadful).

Hostels are best when they have character, and this one was oozing with it. The rooms meandered along a rabbit warren of corridors, and that was a tour in itself worthy of note. There were two of us, and a quite night, but rather than cram people into rooms at capacity to reduce housekeeping costs, they gave us a four-bed room with just the two of us in it. THAT was very much appreciated.

The kitchen was old, but very serviceable. The facilities were so well laid out, and you weren't getting run into by other guests.

There were little things travellers want, but tend to get forgotten by some hostel owners. There was a quiet separate telephone room, a reading room with free books, there were handy things that you only notice when you're missing them, that I'm finding it difficult to specifically remember, but really appreciated them when on the stay. Things like sewing kits, and bathroom items that you'd miss if you didn't have them, but the hostel owners had had the foresight to provide.

I suppose they'd been making a list of things travellers were asking for over the years, and went out of their way to ensure they were simply there.

It was right on the beachfront just up from the National Aquarium, and not far from the town centre. We returned to Napier a couple of years later, but this time we were on a cruise ship, and missing some of the provisions we'd had a couple of years before.

Again, best hostel out of the ten YHAs we stayed in in New Zealand, and can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: It's a converted hotel with meandering extensions so rooms vary. Upper levels naturally allow yo...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bustopher_Deane

Reviewed 19 July 2015

The hostel is conveniently situated, close to the I-Site, the town centre and the supermarkets. I had a car but it stayed in its spot the full week-end as I walked and biked around only.

The room was clean, but cold. They provide hot bottles so I survived ! :)
Great idea: the towels hangers on the wall of the bedroom :D You should pass it to the other hostels :D

I really enjoyed my stay, and added an extra night. I rented one of their bikes on the second day, for cheap !! It needs some lube and some oil, but didn't break while I was using it for my 25 kms ride around town and the beaches.

I would recommend this hostel :)

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank poipoi4112
Reviewed 11 June 2015 via mobile

Such a cute hostel! Old house vibe. We stayed here for 1 night in a single room overlooking the beach. The room was clean and had fresh towels for us. The bathrooms were clean and well kept. There was a lounge area upstairs with a TV, couches & fireplace. Kitchen was spacious and also clean. Wifi was great as well! Would definitely stay here again and recommend to anyone staying in Napier !

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tayk9
Reviewed 1 June 2015

Great location, within walking distance to town, the supermarket and across the road from the beach. There was a spacious kitchen downstairs with seating area and the TV room upstairs. The hostel was really clean and security was good.
I stayed two nights, in a single room, the bed was so soft and comfortable and both nights I had a great sleep. I have no complaints, it was a great hostel and I'll definitely be back the next time in Napier.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2015

I stayed here for two nights and just loved it. The hostel has many rooms, is spacious, and suited to all travellers. There is a fully equipped kitchen for your use, so backpackers can save a lot of money by buying food and cooking for yourself. Check out the RSA behind the hostel also, for an inexpensive hearty meal and a beer. With helpful and friendly staff to answer any questions and offer local knowledge, I recommend this hostel to anyone needing a relaxed and cozy environment.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo