“Excellent sushi and service”

Kura Japanese Sake Bar
Ranked #138 of 2,468 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Kura is modern fusion Japanese. We do all the favourites like sushi, tempura and teriyaki but sometimes with a little twist.
Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Didn't know what to expect and guess we just found a real gem. The servers were friendly and accommodating without being over baring.

The sushi was as fresh I you can get, the sashimi plate was fantastic.

Will for sure go back.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 30 January 2018

There weren't any bad dishes - they were all quite good. But they were also quite expensive. So I didn't feel the value element here. There are definitely better expensive places to eat. However, they did have a unique location - the walls were stone and I remember some of my dining companions commenting upon their historic relevance. But that's not enough to warrant another visit.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 28 January 2018

I love Japanese food ie. real Japanese food from a restaurant run by and served by Japanese and Kura IS that! The ambience is rustic Japanese - dark woods and paintings, big chunky tables. It specializes in sake so we had to try some. I only like mine chilled so the 'Mountain Man' was very good, smooth with a little sweetness. We had a section from the menu to come when ready - edamame, rainbow sushi roll (interesting and tasty combination, but I do prefer simpler flavours), beef tataki and deep fried soft shell crab (both delicious) and assorted sashimi and nigiri (all very fresh and tasty) - all beautifully presented. The service was attentive and very helpful. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 15 January 2018 via mobile

My partner and I ate here on a Monday night and the food and staff were amazing!
They do not take bookings so just go on in. My partner and I shared our meals the food came out perfectly timed. Just as we'd finished one course another one was delivered.

The traditional plume wine is delightful (It's sweet). The staff are super friendly and the food was great. Definitely recommend eating here.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 5 December 2017

The meals here were terrific. The place was a little hard to find if you don't live in Auckland but we still managed to make it in time for our reservation. The place was very full and you could see why. The food was very very tasty and loved every mouthful. I normally don't like Sake but my husband ordered the warm sake (after asking the staff recommendation) and it was delicious. The sago pudding was really good too along with the sesame icecream (WOW). Will definitely visit here again when next in Auckland

Date of visit: November 2017