“Absolutely Fabulous Asian Fusion!”
Review of Woodpecker Hill

Woodpecker Hill
Ranked #56 of 2,360 Restaurants in Auckland Central
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

Lovely ambience, great fit-out, fabulous flavoursome food, interesting wine list and competent knowledgeable unobtrusive service. What more could you want? The first visit for me and one of my daughters. My other daughter has been several times and now I know why. Absolutely fabulous! Ticks all the boxes. We started with the Coconut-braised beef short rib bun with ginger, Vietnamese mint, coriander, galangal and crispy shallots; Black Tiger prawn Har Gow with soft-shell crab, wild ginger, red chilli and coconut cream; and an extremely tasty fried cauliflower dish. All delicious with well balanced and interesting flavours. Particularly enjoyed the soft shell crab. We followed this with the market fish fried in turmeric with Vietnamese mint, peanuts and dill pickles and the Aromatic BBQ lamb curry with smoked potatoes, pickled garlic, cashews and charred shallots. Pleased we only ordered two of the larger dishes as they were more than enough. The turmeric fish was the standout for me. Great night and I'll definitely be returning.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

We had great service coupled with fabulous food in a wonderful setting. the fit out of the restaurant is just great and we could have happily sat there for hours!

Reviewed 4 September 2016

Had dinner here while walking around Parnell Road. Tripadvisor reviewers had mixed reviews and I understand them after my visit. First--the restaurant was packed and no other was near as crowed--this says a lot. The staff were friendly and helpful. I sat at the tasting bar and had good conversations with staff. The food was very flavorful and very good. I had the bok choy starter--fabulous, BBQ lamb with curry--flavorful, but not my favorite tastes and rice. The local whiskey was wonderful and they have a nice wine list. Service was excellent. The dinner is pricey NZ$70 for one person. I would come back here again.

Reviewed 4 September 2016 via mobile

We visited Woodpecker Hill on a recommendation from a friend. What a cool and funky Whiskey Bar and Restaurant. The decor/atmosphere/music are second to none. Our barman William was friendly and knowledgeable. He provided good recommendations when choosing our drinks and also great conversation. Wish we could have spent more time here. 10 out of 10. !!

Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

We had a work dinner here recently and were really impressed. The restaurant is beautiful, the staff very helpful and the food gorgeous. Would thoroughly recommend!