“Feels like taste of home!”
Review of Andino Restaurant - CLOSED

Andino Restaurant
Description: Andino bring to you a trip to the Land of the Incas in Today modern aproach, our style is Peruvian Fine dining. Keeping the true flavours with a clean presentation
Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

I went with 15 friends on Sunday...the owner gave us special prices. Food was amazing! Specially the ceviche and lomo saltado. There were decent peruvian vegetarian options....
The restaurant has a nice authentic peruvian decor... I felt like i was at home !All in all it was a real culture experience and we had a very good time there.

Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

My friend and I went on a quiet weeknight and had just the owner cooking and serving. He is very friendly and the food came out in a timely manner. All dishes were superb - the entrees were delicious, the mains - ají de gallina (chicken) and Lomo saltado (beef) were amazing - the beef was so tender! We barely had room for dessert but somehow managed it as they were totally worth it - creamy and flavoursome. Can't wait to go back again!

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

We had 6 course grabone voucher. Firstly, it was very cold in the restaurant and they don't have heaters. We were given second course soon after the order. The waitress forgot about the first course. We had to ask for it. It was a cold carrot soup in a shot glass. Second and third course were cold dishes. Fourth course was lukewarm. Fifth course was ice cream and sixth was dessert. Overall experience I would not want to repeat for the amount we paid for cold dishes in a cold Restuarant on a cold night.

1  Thank 4MaxLax
Reviewed 3 May 2017

I bought a grabone voucher for 6 courses dining for 6 people. We've arrived at approx 7pm. The first course was just a small shot of juice, it was quite tasty though. The second and third course was OK, then we've waited for 45 minutes for the main. I quite like the beef, and apparently the chicken wasn't bad too. I didn't like the desert because they were just ice creams and a bit too sweat for me. We've left after 9pm.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 30 April 2017

We came here with the 6 course degustation voucher from Grabone and thoroughly enjoyed our experience. The waiter was a lovely woman who was attentive (but not at all intrusive) and very friendly and helpful. She made sure to let us know from the outset that she was still working on her English, but we actually had no problems communicating with her at all. The food reminded me of many of the dishes we had during our recent trip to Peru, with a lot of ingredients that you wouldn't normally find used in NZ (such as Lucuma, a sweet fruit native to the Andes). The chef has trained with the renowned chef Gaston of Astrid & Gaston - which was, at the time we dined there, ranked 14th best restaurant in the world. As a much smaller restaurant in the antipodes, Andino is not exactly another Astrid & Gaston, but it is clear from the beautiful presentation and thoughtful combination of flavours that the chef has some excellent experience under their belt. We would highly recommend a degustation so that you can experience all the different flavours that Andino has to offer. Our favourites were the Lomo Saltado (a classic Peruvian dish of beef steak found everywhere from high end to corner store restaurants), aji de gallina (Peruvian spiced creamy chicken), and mussel chalaca (very famous Peruvian steamed spiced mussels). I was slightly let down by the ceviche, but only as it didn't really 'wow' me compared to some ceviche I had eaten in South America - however a very minor criticism in the scheme of, overall, a great eating experience.

Nice, small wine list with lots of wines from Spain, Chile, etc, at a very reasonable price. Not many wines available by the glass yet, but the wine list will likely grow as the restaurant grows over time. Great to also see that they offer the essential Peruvian drink of choice - the pisco sour.

Unfortunately their website seems to suffer some issues but don't let that put you off. I would highly recommend, as Peruvian cuisine has a lot to offer but is unfortunately not common in these parts yet - well done to Andino for bringing some of the great classics to the Antipodes.

Date of visit: April 2017