“Private dinner in private room”
Review of Il Duca

Il Duca
Ranked #53 of 4,572 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$13 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Family owned and run providing fine dining Italian cuisine, casual lunches, coffee, take away and private functions
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

They have a great private room which really is private. We had a dinner for 16 for 70th birthday celebrations. Outstanding service from David and fantastic food from the chef

1  Thank Expedition168643

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My new "goto" medium priced Italian restaurant.

I look for rich complex sauces, dishes that are lifted by a good squeeze of lemon and lashings of freshly ground black pepper, I benchmark every pizza I have had, searching for the holly grail that balances a depth of well cooked toppings with a slightly char base.

II Duca delivers, serving traditional home cooked pasta, devilishly thin charred crust pizza (pineapple, on request), meatballs and veal.

Steeped in old world charm, an inviting ambience and knowledgeable waiting staff with a quick wit and great humour, it is a great place to enjoy a vino or two and wonderful Italian feast with family and friends.

Strong recommendation to experience this East Melbourne institution for yourself.

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 9 September 2018

My wife & I had the pleasure of enjoying a wonderful and authentic Italian dining experience at Il Duca during one of my recent business trips to Melbourne.

The service provided to us by co-owners Dominique and David was friendly, efficient, and accommodating (my wife & I wanted to share an appetizer, as well as two different main courses).

The three courses were "perfetto", with it being all-but-impossible for us to choose a favourite.

We started with the appetizer special of the day: King Scallops in a light butter sauce, served with a beautiful micro salad which included olives and tomatoes. The scallops were cooked absolutely perfectly, and were delicious to the taste. The salad was a nice accompaniment, and made the dish more interesting.

Our next course was Risotto Di Pollo e Funghi, and it was as good a risotto as we have ever enjoyed: flavoursome, with just the right amount of chicken and mushrooms. The serving size was generous...my wife & I agreed it was enough for three people!

Finally, we shared the Herb Crumbed Veal, and again, we thought the size of the serving was enough for three people (perhaps it's because my wife & I aren't huge eaters?). There were four cutlets, with the herb coating being nice and tasty, but not overwhelmingly so. A side of french fries was included, and they were crisp and crunchy...exactly as my wife & I like.

The restaurant was absolutely packed, yet Dominique, David and their team provided excellent service, with the kitchen doing a great job in timing the serving of the three courses my wife & I had ordered.

The wine list is interesting and varied, with there being six white wines, and seven red wines available to order by the glass, and all wines on the list offering very good value for money.

It had been approximately two years since my wife & I last enjoyed dining at Il Duca, but we won't wait so long to go there again.

Thank you Dominique, David, and the entire team at Il Duca for providing us with such a wonderful and enjoyable dining experience.

1  Thank Charles S
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Visited the place for business lunch. The place was not so busy and was good for discussion.
Tried Fish of the day and soup of the day, they were ok. Fish was quite tasty which i liked it.

Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

I have been to this restaurant several times with family, friends and clients and always left impressed. From the delicious Italian food, great wine selection to the professional but relaxed service ....definitely one of Melbourne’s best!

1  Thank Benjamin M