“Anzac Day”

Ranked #282 of 4,616 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Asian, European, Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Tippler & Co provides a place for people to appreciate all things food & drink.
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Nice ambience but food needs improvement. Thrice fried chips means overdone. A salad or veg would be good with steak. Arancini bland. Chicken ribs good. Drinks a bit pricey. Service good.

Gus M, Owner at The Tippler & Co, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2018

Hi there 962joc,

Thanks for your review. As Anzac Day one of our busiest of the year it's great to hear that you liked the ambience and had good service - this is something we pride ourselves on so thanks.

As for the other comments you haven't given me much to work with - one may think you were a little disappointed with the result of the football? Our thrice cooked fries are a favourite here, that third cook just gives that extra crispiness, with our share style menu it's so easy to add additional dishes, perhaps the Roasted Cauliflower Salad or the Roast Pumpkin Salad would have gone well with your steak? There's nothing bland about our Pea & Mint Arancini with lemon aioli - and if there is we're moving to Roasted Beetroot Arancini with punchy gorgonzola sauce in the cooler weather. I will agree with you on the Spicy Smoked Chicken Ribs, they are one of my favourites too. As for drink prices please note that as it was a public holiday we had a 10% surcharge to help cover the increase in staff wages.

Cheers,

Gus & The Tippler Team

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Remarkable food, but all I seem to remember was the fact that my water glass was empty throughout the meal and I ate my main course without wine because not one waiter even came by.

High end service requires enough staff. I left quite frankly annoyed

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your review and sorry for not getting back to you sooner. It's great to hear that you loved the food and unfortunate to hear that you were left without wine for your main course. It would seem that your expectations of service were a little high for our venue. As a local bar and eatery we try and strike a balance between attending to customers but not hovering. It is this reason that we don't top up water glasses at the table (just water bottles) and only attend tables when necessary or to check everything is ok. My apologies for the misunderstanding and we hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,

Gus & The Tippler Team

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Our group of 3 visiting from Sydney stopped in sixish on a Saturday evening and it was just want we were looking for with plenty of shared choices of sliders and mains that could serve the same purpose.

We shared soft crab sliders as a starter with fries and then fried gnocchi and a salad and every dish was excellent. With a couple of happy hour drinks (4pm-7pm) drinks each we were up for a bit under $100.

The service was to our timing but its that type of place that you could get in and out with a good feed and a drink if you were on the move to the MCG or surrounds.

Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

overcrowded beer garden, and only one toilet per gender. Not even sure how this is legal.

It may be oh-so-trendy but it's not practical. You'll spend half your visit just lining up for the loo.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

What a fabulous place to spend a warm Friday evening dining with friends. The staff are very friendly and the service is excellent. Meals were reasonably priced and arrived promptly. It’s great that you order everything at the bar as it saves the trouble caused by splitting the bill. Only issue was the price of drinks. I felt these were at the top end. A gin and tonic and a beer cost more than my main meal.
Having said that, I’d gladly dine here again.