“Can't really fault it”

Ranked #33 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane
“Can't really fault it”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

I stayed at Clarion Suites Gateway with my wife and baby for 3 nights while attending a conference at the casino. I did a lot of research on Trip Advisor on 1 bedroom apartments and the reviews of the hotel were promising.

Check-in was great: Oliver was fantastic! He brought our bags up to the room, and explained the heating system and breakfast. We booked a Queen 1 bedroom suite with breakfast and requested a quiet room and a cot (free). We were given a room on the 10th floor (1011) with a king bed and the cot already set up. Previous reviews mentioned double glazing in the bedroom. Our room didn't have this and you could hear the traffic outside but it didn't worry me at all (and I'm a light sleeper). The pillows weren't great but I have should have checked them before I went to bed on the first night because as soon as I asked the next day if there were others the lovely Assistant Manager Vivianna sent up two feather pillows straight away.

The bedroom had a TV, phone and wardrobe while the main room had a fully equipped kitchen and laundry, dining table, writing table, couch and huge TV. Friends came to eat in the room on our last night and this was nice as it meant we didn't have to go out again with the baby. There is a 24hr Coles 5 minutes away while Bourke St, Flinders St and Spencer St Stations are 5-10 mins walk.

We tried to use the washing machine but it was like trying to fly the A380 airbus so we didn't bother. The heating didn't work properly which was a bit of shame (given the baby). It was quite cool regardless of what temperature the heater was set on.

Breakfast was really nice - hot and cold buffet. Yannick, the Restaurant Supervisor, was nice. She is the only Yannick I know other than Yannick Noah! As we booked our room on the hotel's website we were given three drink vouchers and four lovely homemade cookies. This was a really nice gesture. We got a free paper each morning.

The prices dropped between booking and our stay and they adjusted them accordingly when I rang about a week before our arrival. All in all we had a great stay and I would happily return. We've stayed at a few places in Melbourne and now that we have a baby I'd definitely stay again at Clarion Suites.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mjref

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Had a lovely room that had 180 degree windows, and in spite being adjacent to the train lines I barely registered any train noise. Lovely view at night of Southbank, and enjoyed the gas flame show on the hour!

The room was lovely, clean and the homemade shortbread was a nice touch. They didn't last long! The staff both at the desk and everywhere else I encountered them, seemed to genuinely like working there, and so they were really pleasant to deal with. Had room service, was told I might have to wait half an hour as they were busy, the food was there in 10 minutes, and it was great!

This hotel is constantly trying to please, you arrive and are given vouchers to use in their restaurant, and, simply by completing a survey I was sent an additional $50 voucher to use next time I visited. So of course I'll use this hotel again!

Its in the perfect position - close to Flinders Street station, but not too close where you hear alot of street noise.

After poor customer service in so many outlets, its a real pleasure to get genuine service.

• Stayed July 2010
London
Reviewed 18 August 2010

I travel frequently to Melbourne for my business and booked Clarion Suites, based partly on Trip Advisor recommendations, but also because of the price. I can honestly say that my expectations have been surpassed - this place has been excellent. The room was great, the service polite and prompt and the restaurant was terrific. On top of that, the location is perfect for anyone doing travel in the CBD.

My room was on the 12th floor and is a one bedroom apartment. Everything I needed was here and the staff were only too happy to help.

If you are into 5 star luxury, this hotel is probably not for you. However, if you are looking for a good value 4 star, this is the perfect place to stay. I'll certainly be coming back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Malaysia
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed here with my sister and her family for several nights. We found that the 2-room suites were of adequate size for our family, and had in-room laundry and kitchenette facilities, which was a plus. Staff on check-in were relatively friendly. The room was rather cold in winter as the heaters were not sufficient, and we had to request an extra portable heater. The location of the hotel is central, and right next to the Immigration Museum in Melbourne and an easy walk to the shopping areas. However, parking was a hassle as we were driving quite a high a van and had to park at the public parking areas several minutes away.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2010

We booked an executive suite for 2 weeks at the Clarion suites but were so disappointed with so many things, we checked out after a week and moved to the Crowne Plaza instead. The main problems included:
a) Poor attitude of staff - it took 4 days for them to answer a straight-forward question about points; when we asked the concierge to collect our bags, he left one behind and then his colleagues denied he'd ever been asked to collect the bags in the first place; we rarely saw a smile on any of their faces
b) The so-called "executive" suite was anything but, despite being the same price as the other, far more impressive suites we stayed in for the rest of our 5 week stay in Oz
c) To top it off, their loyalty points cannot be added to the Scandinavian version of Choice, with which I've got thousands of points
We certainly will not be using this place again for our annual visits to beautiful Melbourne

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
CSGManagement, General Manager at Clarion Suites Gateway, responded to this review, 15 August 2010
Thank you so much for the opportunity in allowing us to respond to your concerns.
We subscribe to the principal of being honest and open, so that the spirit of service is achieved, by way of endeavouring to instil the appropriate service values in our team. Our primary objective is to fulfil and exceed your expectations. I do apologies that on this occasion your expectations were not realized.

Regrettably, there does appear to be an anomaly, compared to the reward point system that prevails in the Scandinavian region, however, for your perusal, I have mailed a copy of the reward benefits within the Choice Australasia region.
Although, our front office team attempted to process your points on your Scandinavian card, the transaction was not accepted.

Upon expressing your concern on check-in being, Saturday 24 July, we were unable to obtain any information concerning this particular card. Therefore, on Monday 26 July, we flagged our concern with Choice Hotels Regional office in Melbourne, and due to time differential in Europe, we only received the information on Tuesday, 27 July.

Choice Privilege benefits do vary from region to region; therefore, it may well be prudent to seek this information, so that disappointment is not experienced on arrival.

The room that was reserved is a, One Bedroom Deluxe Riverview, our Executive Suites offer three bedrooms, ensuites & spa.

In the interest of providing subscribers a full view of the suite, I have made available a click to virtual tour of this room type.

As a courtesy our front office team did waive the internet charges, I do hope that this does demonstrate our commitment to you. You’re comments inspire us to seek opportunities to serve you better, through innovation resulting in a quality outcome, therefore, our pledge will be to offer you a special condition next time that you are visiting our city.
We will mail as well as the, Choice Privilege Program benefits in this region.

Thank you so much for your patronage, I do hope that we will have an opportunity in greeting once again at our hotel.

I remain cordially,