Somerset on Elizabeth Melbourne
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Fitness centre
  • Restaurant
All reviewselizabeth streetgreat locationwashing machinehardware laneserviced apartmentspa poolliving roombourke st mallwithin walking distancedavid jonesone bedroom apartmentthe heart of the citystreet noisecentral locationsmall kitchenettebreakfast roomqueen victoria market
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Friendly and helpfull staff. The single deluxe room was excellent and very good value, separate bedroom and living area and planty of space. Valet parking is an extra charge of $30+ a day that I wasn't aware of and was a bit tricky due to there being no parking space in front of the hotel. There is a loading zone but it was always occupied. I had to illegally park on the corner with my hazard lights flashing to offload our luggage.
The room I had was facing Elizabeth Street and early morning wake up was not required due to the noise from the trams, this was the only downside.
Great location close to all the major department stores. I would recommend for couples and heavy sleepers!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I would love to see extra kitchen tools and a clean blankets

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 9 December 2011

...but the staff are the star performers! If you like being treated like a VIP, you have come to the right place. The staff at this property are simply outstanding! Nothing is too difficult for any of them and you are always greeted with a cheery 'Good morning' or 'evening', rather than being ignored. You really do feel like you belong - a real home away from home.
We stay at this property regularly for business and usually for well over a week. Therefore the size of the room is vital. We find the Executive apartment all that we need....a separate bedroom, lounge area, business desk, well equipped kitchen and dining area, large bathroom with bath and laundry included and plenty of cupboards and drawers throughout the apartment.
The location is so central with a tram right outside the front door. Melbourne Central is around the corner if you need a train, groceries, etc.
If you are looking for glitz and glamour, you won't find it here....what you will find is perfectly clean and comfortable surroundings with everything you could possibly need.....and a fantastic attitude from all the staff!

Room Tip: High level facing the Church - Room 901 Executive Apartment
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We recently stayed in a 2 bedroom Deluxe apartment for the weekend.
The location is excellent its right in the heart of the shops. Bourke street mall is only steps away. Hardware lane for great restaurants is only a 2 minute walk and a tram stop right out the front. The apartment is huge and served its purpose for our stay. The staff were very helpful and guest services were very quick to respond to our requests. The only negative thing I have to say is that yes our apartment did have quiet a few dirty marks on the walls etc, which I guess happens and a bit of mould in the grout in the shower, that I didn't mind, but in the bathroom above the light switch on the tiles was a dirty hand smear which would of been really noticeable when they cleaned the room. It would of only taken house keeping 1 second to wipe it over. So in saying that, thats why I rated low for value and cleanliness as I paid $655.00 for the 2 nights.
We were on the 5th floor on the corner room so we had good views from all rooms up and down the street. It kept my mother entertained sticky beaking while we were out shopping. And there was only your average weekend city noise at night, it didn't keep me awake and I live in a very quiet area.
Apart from that the room was great. I probably would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were in room 519, which was a corner room. I found it to be spacious and light. My sister was in a 1 bedroom apartment further down the hall and from memory it was a little darker.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 November 2011

the hotel is in a great location for shopping and eating out,but it is getting very tired we have stayed here a lot of times in the past , but this time it needs refurbishing and painted. The rooms are not dirty but there is marks every way on walls the furniture needs up dating etc etc. The hallways to rooms are marked and look tired . If ascot are going to charge 375.00 for a two bed apartment i think they need to start to freshen the place up. I must say the staff are very good, we could get a late late check out for a reasonible price and nothing was a problem thank you

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank gina b
fhairie, Manager at Somerset on Elizabeth Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Dear TripAdvisor Member,
Thank you for your review and your kind comments about our great location and our helpful staff. I apologise however that in other regards Somerset on Elizabeth Melbourne did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Due to feedback such as yours, you will be pleased to hear that a soft refurbishment will be carried out this year, to "freshen the place up" as you suggest. Carpets and sheer curtains will be replaced in all rooms and older style TVs will be replaced by flat screens, amongst other changes.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Somerset on Elizabeth in 2012 and hope that on this occasion we can exceed your expectations.

Kind regards