1,695 results
All reviews yarra river great location lobby bar across the bridge a river view room exhibition centre tram stop egg station south wharf business hotel business trip valet parking concierge staff pillow menu bit dated free tram spencer street
Reviewed 11 October 2017

The hotel is located conveniently near Southern Cross Station where the airport shuttle terminates. The room was large, clean and comfortable with a great view of the Yarra River next to the hotel. The bathroom was much smaller than expected.
The Casino is a few minutes walk across the bridge. A few minutes walk n the opposite direction brings you to the intersection of Spencer and Flinders Streets. From there the trams are free to ride around the CBD. Very convenient as Melbourne is a large city.
There are so many restaurants nearby that I didn't try any in the hotel. The staff were generally friendly and helpful but the staff in the bar were not very attentive.

Room Tip: Most rooms seem to face the river
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Dear Maurice R,
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear your found our location so convenient and also enjoyed your room.
We hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

I have been staying here when i travel to Melbourne for work. Its in a great spot with lots of restaurants nearby. I suggest you get a room with the view looking out to the casino..
The hotel is old and a bit tired but my room has always been clean and the bed comfortable... bathroom is ok. I have never been a fan of showers where you have to climb in and out over a bath- accident waiting to happen. The staff are friendly and helpful.. the one big downfall ... the rooms are not great when it comes to sound.. in the quiet of the night you can hear people using the bathroom..
All in all its ok. I will be back.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Dear Linda R,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am glad to hear that you found your room clean and comfortable and I agree we have an excellent location with many restaurant options close by.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

The approach is bit confusing, but the checkin process pretty efficient. Very courteous and helpful staff. We stayed at the top floor suit room and had amazing view of the river. Conveniently located near to mall and restaurants. The hotel looks a little old and needs refurbishing. The morning breakfast was well spread and service staff was very efficient.Late in the night the bar takes care of your dinner needs as the restaurant closes early.

Room Tip: Top floor Suit or Executive room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business

Dear haresh v,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear your found our location convenient and our staff efficient. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here last night and it was amazing. On arrival I was pleasantly surprised when I was upgraded to a river view room.
The room was beautiful, modern decor and spacious. The bathroom was gorgeous.
The view up the river was amazing.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the location is perfect.
I absolutely will stay here again and again

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Gayle D,
Thank you for your 5 star review! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your room and the views. I agree we have a fantastic location. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Reviewed 6 October 2017

I stayed here overnight after having confused it with Crown Towers (one of the properties run by the Crown Casino) where I stayed last time I was in Melbourne! I recently stayed at Crowne Plaza in Terrigal (NSW) which was very comfortable so I wasn't too concerned about my error. The very reasonable price alerted me to my error but by then it was too late.

The location of Crowne Plaza is convenient - it is on the western edge of Melbourne's CBD and is just within the free tram zone. It is about a 550m flat walk from Southern Cross Station (where SkyBus is also located) so it's easy to get to using public transport. There are two tram stops - one right outside the hotel and the other is only a minute's walk away (on Flinders St), both of which have tram services to get you around the CBD and out to St Kilda. The main area of the CBD (e.g. Bourke St mall) is a flat, easy 25 minute walk from the hotel. There are plenty of cafes and restaurants near the hotel.

The staff are very courteous, friendly and helpful. On checking in, I asked how to get to the National Gallery and I was given a map with the tram lines and a very comprehensive explanation of how to get there and back. Room service and breakfast staff were also very helpful and friendly. I found that room service had a good selection of gluten free food and gluten free bread was available at breakfast, which was terrific for me.

There's a nice pool, small gym (cardio and weights) and plenty of spaces for business meetings although I didn't use any of these.

My room and bathroom were of a good size, perhaps a little dated, but a deep clean (in the corners, edges of furniture, tiles and grouting) is needed. There was also hair on a towel and the floor in the bathroom when I checked in - not very nice. The bed was large but very saggy - perhaps it's time for the mattresses to be replaced. As a member, I got free WiFi.

Most hotels require the use of your room pass to access guest floors in the lift for security reasons. Crowne Plaza Melbourne doesn't. As I was travelling alone this time, I was disappointed at this lack of security. There was, however, a latch on the room door, so that the door didn't have to be fully opened.

My room faced the Southern Cross station railway lines (it's a very big station with multiple tracks) and a busy road (Spencer St) and so it was noisy with trains and traffic from early in the morning until about midnight. The room would benefit from further glazing on the large windows. The bathroom of the room next door seemed to back on to my bed and I could hear many noises from it until late at night too. Assuming that bathrooms in some rooms do back on to the bedrooms of the adjoining room, this is very poor planning although little can be done about it now. I did pay a very reasonable price so I would recommend that you spend a little more and ask for a river view room in the hope that it would be quieter.

On balance, I am not sure if I will stay here again on my next trip to Melbourne. While the staff are terrific, the noisy room and saggy bed were not what I wanted for a restful night. If you want a reasonably priced room in a reasonable location and don't mind train/traffic noise, then this might be the hotel for you.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Dear Belinda M,
Thank you for sharing your review of your recent stay at Crowne Plaza Melbourne. I am glad that you found our location convenient and I agree that it is great being within walking distance to so many attractions, restaurants and cafes.
However I was most concerned to read that you were dissatisfied with your stay.
Please accept my profound apologies for the issues that you have raised, and we will work hard to ensure that we do not leave this impression with any other guests.
Please reach out to me at Cameron.abbott@ihg.com to let me know when you are looking to return as I would be delighted to oversee your next booking personally.
With kind regards