“An absolute gem! Beautiful and fresh seafood, excellent service. Overall, amazing value for money.”

Claypots Barbarossa
Ranked #167 of 4,622 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: European bar & seafood grill. An escape from the hustle & bustle of the city. A hideaway from the office. Fresh seafood & healthy salads in high rotation. Budvar lager on tap. Small yet impressive list of half bottles. Local wines by the glass, carafe and bottle. Records, amplifiers & books. Aperitivo Hour Monday to Friday 5:30pm. Live Music (mainly jazz) Wends-Thurs-Fri-Sat evenings Trading Monday to Saturday 11am - 11pm, Sundays 11am - 10pm
Reviewed 30 September 2018 via mobile

I went to this restaurant tonight with a group of people and we were impressed by the array of seafood, flavour and the excellent customer service. The atmosphere was great and the staff were very attentive to our needs. The $45 per person set menu was an amazing deal for the amount seafood you get. I highly recommend this place and would certainly go back. I’d like to specifically mention Barbara who took very good care of us on the night.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

I have been supporting Claypots in St Kilda and South Melbourne for years. This was my first outing to The Hardware Lane Claypots taking 10 people from work to celebrate a 60th. Firstly, to walk down Hardware Lane and with all the restaurants packed, an empty Claypots raised a concern. It did pick up and the reception was friendly. The food, as always was great, but here is the problem.... 3 chefs, 1 front of house and 0 waiting staff.. yes, that is correct ZERO. That equates to no service! 2 orders not served, and a few wrong orders, collecting our own cutlery, cleaning the tables ourselves etc. Come on Claypots, surely this is easy to fix!

Reviewed 19 September 2018 via mobile

We had sardine and a pot of prawns and mussels, it's fresh and tasty, very good. Staff are friendly too.

Reviewed 9 September 2018

I had previously eaten in Claypots in St Kilda and absolutely loved it. I stumbled across the City version when walking through Hardware Lane waiting to decide where to eat. I feel a bit guilty only giving a 4 as it was really good, but not as enjoyable as Claypots in St Kilda. I may be wrong but the menu is more designed to be in line with other places in the city with a fairly standard main menu and fewer specials compared to the other location. The food itself was excellent. However, it all feels small and a bit cramped.

Don’t get me wrong. Go there. The food is fresh, excellent quality seafood but not quite at the level of the St Kilda branch.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

There are a number of daily specials in the display cabinet. Fresh and fast. Otherwise the clam chowder (winter only) is worth the wait.