“A gem amongst the tourist traps”

Claypots Barbarossa
Ranked #174 of 4,620 Restaurants in Melbourne
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: European bar & seafood grill. An escape from the hustle & bustle of the city. A hideaway from the office. Fresh seafood & healthy salads in high rotation. Budvar lager on tap. Small yet impressive list of half bottles. Local wines by the glass, carafe and bottle. Records, amplifiers & books. Aperitivo Hour Monday to Friday 5:30pm. Live Music (mainly jazz) Wends-Thurs-Fri-Sat evenings Trading Monday to Saturday 11am - 11pm, Sundays 11am - 10pm
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

I've made the schoolboy error to fall for the spruikers along Hardware Lane, peddling their free garlic bread and glass of house wine, on too many occasions. But not this time.

We chose this little place in part because there werent any pushy spruikers to be seen.

Nevertheless it can be a brave choice to eat on a tourist road.

But this place was perfect. The food we had was 100%. Beautifully prepared and faultless.

We tried the stingray, the cuttlefish, a sardine special and a bucket of mussels, along with a surprisingly good house savignon blanc.

The service was welcoming and the chef seemed very happy quietly going about his business as brilliantly as he did.

Ill go back and try a few more dishes next time I am in town.

Thanks for a lovely lunch.

Reviewed 4 August 2018

Claypot Barbarossa is located in Melbourne’s vibrant Hardware Lane, towards Lonsdale street. We rang earlier to make a reservation and were informed that they only take reservations for minimum of 10 people. We came here for dinner and arrived around 5.30pm. Other people that were in the restaurant were having drinks and taking advantage of the happy hour. We were presented with a small laconic menu with a layout that was difficult to decipher. Simply put, the menu included small plates (seafood entree) and main (meat and pasta) however no full description of the dishes. For restaurant connoisseurs, we were left guessing how some dishes would be cooked other than “grilled”. The grilled squid which I saw in TA reviews was only served at lunch so I opted for the spaghetti marinara, which had few mussels in shell, bits of fish, squid, prawn and one large grilled prawn as garnish. I was expecting the marinara in tomato sauce and later saw marinara bianca on the menu board. My dish was mostly pasta seasoned with herb garlic oil and chilli. The chilli overpowered the seafood taste. Generous serve of al dente pasta. The grilled cuttlefish in ink served on a skewer was disappointing. The cuttlefish was chewy and the black ink didn’t have a rich, briny flavour and saltiness of the ocean. The pan seared snapper with salad was also disappointing. The fish lacked seasoning and the salad was just grilled brussels sprouts cut in half and a few leaf greens. The small grilled sardine came with a few slices of onion and a slice of toasted bread that looked like middle eastern. Service was average. No live music when we were there. Price point is mid range but even a free meal would not entice me to go back.

Reviewed 3 August 2018 via mobile

Resonable price. Nice atmosphere. Good food.
I ve ate oyster. It was so fresh and delicious.
But a little sand in. I dont care but some people can feel uncomfortable.
Whatever claypot is good!

Reviewed 21 July 2018 via mobile

Wonderful seafood, cooked beautifully accompanied by great service. The clam chowder is not to be missed!

Reviewed 13 July 2018

I liked the possibility to choose the fisk from the buffet to the kitchen and got very good advice to choose the right fish. I have been there three times.