“Pretentious and too clever”
Review of Born In Brunswick

Born In Brunswick
Ranked #97 of 655 Restaurants in Hobart
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Very limited and odd menu. Little to no flexibility in changing or adding to dishes. Service off-hand. Music too loud. Too clever for its own good. Get a decent breakfast elsewhere.

Con V, Owner at Born In Brunswick, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Hi Paul,
I am very disappointed to read your review. Unfortunately we do not substitute items and it clearly states this on our menu. On a busy day in a small kitchen, it is not viable or efficient for our chefs to chop and change the menu. We have designed and portioned our menu items very specifically for each individual dish and our side options are exactly as stated. 'Too clever for it's own good' ? Sorry but we did not shackle you to the table and force you to eat at our restaurant, if our menu was not for you we completely understand and would expect that you would not dine with us instead of slamming us with a highly unfair 1 star review.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

I had enjoyed a previous visit here, but had commented that the sourdough crusts were so hard when toasted that one risked serious mouth injury eating them. I really wanted the avocado on sourdough this visit but was wary of the crusts, so I asked could I possibly have some other type of bread. I was assured that the seeded sourdough had soft crusts and should not be a problem. Spot on. The dish was delicious, the sourdough was excellent and the crusts were soft enough to eat safely. I did not leave a crumb on my plate. Service was very good and friendly and efficient. Yes, the place can be a bit noisy with customers and piped music, but we found a corner that was OK. We will happily return.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

The food is absolutely delicious & at such a high standard, the coffee is amazing and the staff are so lovely! Constantly tell all my friends and family to go whenever they can - cannot recommend enough

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed down in the wharf but decided to call through north Hobart on the way to airport. Glad we did. Found born in Brunswick by accident and stopped in for brunch. Simple delicious food great coffee and awesome service. Busy so you may have to wait for a seat but worth it. Best scrambled egg ever had. Nice area to stroll around and look at early Hobart architecture also.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Fantastic innovative food in a great setting. We go there every week for either dinner or brunch. Excellent service and always made to feel very welcome. Brunch provides choice or either classics or new things to try and the dinner menu is amazing and terrific value.

Give it a try and you’ll become a regular too!