All reviews souvenir shop underground room shared bathroom ground level sleeping experience short stay staying underground other guests underground experience alice springs a great nights sleep light sleeper one night stay unique place an overnight stay centre of town a great place to stay
Reviewed 27 July 2017

I stayed for two nights in a dorm room. I called in some days before I was due to arrive and asked for the promised pick-up at the bus terminal at 5:15 AM. The lady confirmed it. On the day nobody came. The hostel is only 500m away but as a single woman I didn’t want to take the risk. Also a local woman advised me not to be on the street at night. I ended up waiting in a gas station for two hours until sunrise to walk to the accommodation. During that time the hostel owners never picked up the phone. When I arrived and asked about this the woman said it was her colleague’s fault. She explained that he had been drinking too much the night before and he would sometimes make it to an early morning pick-up and on other days he chooses to sleep in. When I announced I was leaving at 5:30 AM on the evening before my check-out the lady was quick to let me now that I should not even ask for a transfer because again her colleague would most likely choose to sleep in anyway.
Now to the accommodation itself. I booked a dorm room. Its basically just a niche in a long underground corridor separated with a shower curtain. Any dorm guest and many motel guests enter through the same entrance so there's lots and lots of people who can steal your stuff. Even worse when I arrived at ca 7:30 AM the keypad lock to the corridor was open for the general public. The next day I left at ca 8:45 AM and again the lock was inactive. So from a very early time in the morning there is no protection. If you think there's at least a secure room to leave your luggage in during the day you're wrong. The lugguage room is by the reception and it is only seperated by a curtain. The reception is of course open for the general public as well and the two employees are all over the property and not there to guard your stuff.
Lastly the internet practically doesn’t work at all. The hostel owner tried to show me where the router is and where the connection is supposed to be the best but it still hardly worked at all.
In total my stay was a scary experience since there is a constant lack of security for yourself or your luggage.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank micnababoo
Reviewed 7 July 2017

You get what you pay for. Evelyne at reception was a great start to our one night stay underground at Radekas. Our ensuite room was small by motel standards but was clean and well appointed and the early morning showers were wonderful. Being underground, the overnight temperature was moderate, and above ground the 1 degree felt more like 15 degrees in our suite. Unfortunately though, the reason for the early showers and departure were that the bed was poor, sloping downwards into the middle - very uncomfortable, and the noise reverberating around the passage ways and into our room from other clients was very loud. Noise insulation through the door was non existent and some inconsiderate guests made sleeping very difficult. Nevertheless, at least we can say we've had an underground experience. Next time, we will investigate a more upmarket underground experience.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room if you like to sleep well.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank randjuhe
Reviewed 13 June 2017

This place was great following a freezing night in Tennant Creek. The warmth provided from staying underground was amazing and the showers and bathroom were great. The hallway did echo and caused some noise but it did not keep me up at night.

The hotel is in the city centre and close to everything and when checking in I was provided with a map and information on what would be open as I arrived in the dark after 6pm so that was helpful. A great one night stop over.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Its run by a little french lady Evyline, who also runs her own mine, great tips, advice and a very pleasant attitude, surprisingly in such a harsh environment. Decent accommodation, budget and families, worth stopping in, she gives great directions when most things appear confusing. the shellis good for food but pricy, still good food though
We stopped in there on our way to odnadatta,and returned to see her again before leaving for Adelaide.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I decided to make a stopover in Coober Pedy on my way from Adelaide to Alice Springs.
That was the right decision!

Coober Pedy is a unique place!
Most of the population live under ground and you don't see so much if you walk through the town. That is the reason why it might be scared to walk through the city.

The hostel is very nice.
It offers rooms under and over ground.
I stayed in a room over ground. But as I arrived very early, I had the possibility to wait in a room under ground until my room was ready. So I had both! My room big, clean and even had a TV.
I preferred the room under ground. It was less comfortable, but colder, you don't need any air conditioning and you can experience something special.

The hostel offers a courtesy transfer from the Greyhound bus stop. Although the bus stop isn't far away, it's easier if you travel with suitcase.
Moreover there is a souvenir shop in next to the reception.

The staff is friendly and helpful.
I can recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: A room under ground