All reviews souvenir shop sleeping experience short stay staying underground ground level underground motel ensuite room alice springs light sleeper other guests underground experience a great nights sleep one night stay unique place an overnight stay centre of town a great place to stay
Reviewed 26 May 2017

Its run by a little french lady Evyline, who also runs her own mine, great tips, advice and a very pleasant attitude, surprisingly in such a harsh environment. Decent accommodation, budget and families, worth stopping in, she gives great directions when most things appear confusing. the shellis good for food but pricy, still good food though
We stopped in there on our way to odnadatta,and returned to see her again before leaving for Adelaide.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2017

I decided to make a stopover in Coober Pedy on my way from Adelaide to Alice Springs.
That was the right decision!

Coober Pedy is a unique place!
Most of the population live under ground and you don't see so much if you walk through the town. That is the reason why it might be scared to walk through the city.

The hostel is very nice.
It offers rooms under and over ground.
I stayed in a room over ground. But as I arrived very early, I had the possibility to wait in a room under ground until my room was ready. So I had both! My room big, clean and even had a TV.
I preferred the room under ground. It was less comfortable, but colder, you don't need any air conditioning and you can experience something special.

The hostel offers a courtesy transfer from the Greyhound bus stop. Although the bus stop isn't far away, it's easier if you travel with suitcase.
Moreover there is a souvenir shop in next to the reception.

The staff is friendly and helpful.
I can recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: A room under ground
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 April 2017

First time staying underground. An interesting experience. The reception was welcoming and very helpful. Room felt old, but was clean. No reception in room (you are underground) but just bear that in mind.

Room Tip: Remember you won't have internet underground.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

We were looking forward to staying here, having stayed in the excellent underground motel in White Cliffs a few years ago. Although I had booked previously and the hotel had alll my details, including home address, we were greeted by a man who lectured us like school children and insisted that we fill out his form, showing both our names, country of origin and the last place we stayed. I felt this was an unnecessary invasion of our privacy. The facilities were ok but the bed was so hard we brought our sleeping bag in to soften it. The soap holder in the shower was broken and had just had some tape stuck to it. There was only one light in the room, a bright fluorescent tube. For $125 a night I expected something a little nicer.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Faye G
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We booked this motel for 2 nights as the reviews sounded good. How wrong could I be, the other reviewers must have been in another room than ours. We had 2 sets of bunk beds & a double bed. A cupboard that allowed for short hanging items, certainly not adult clothes. A table & 2 chairs,there were 3 of us & bedding for 6 so one of our party went and got another chair herself. The most appalling was the bathroom, you couldn't open the door properly as the big toilet tissue dispenser was in the way, to sit on the toilet was tricky as the pan was too close to the cupboard so it had to be a quick visit . The floor tiles were very slippery when wet so we got extra towels from the office to cover the floor. One of our party made "friends" with the owner and things were a little better like coffee, tea, sugar etc. We were out till late shopping & exploring and on our return the room it was as we'd left it, it had not been serviced. They were kind enough to leave a bag of towels at the door for us.
The kitchen facilities were good so a home cooked meal was made, it was clean & tidy with adequate equipment. We wouldn't stay there again, it took the shine off of a great town.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends