“Great view, great lunch specials”
Review of Helm Bar & Bistro

Helm Bar & Bistro
Price range: US$6 - US$29
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 January 2018

The Helm has great weekday lunch specials, a fairly extensive menu, and views of the canals and hinterland. We sat at a window table, and because the interior is partitioned into several spacious areas, we felt like we had the place to ourselves. I ordered Mediterranean Vegetables, tossed with penne and served with a schooner of draft for $15. It was delicious. My wife had Fish and Chips, served with a small salad and house wine, again $15 at lunch. Moist and tasty fish, terrific value. There is free underground parking, you might want to phone to get specific directions. Recommended!

2  Thank dougnorm

Reviewed 12 January 2018 via mobile

Recently dined here with my family whilst staying in Surfers.
The view over the waterfront from our table was fantastic. It was especially lovely watching the distant lightning show.
The meals were huge - I ordered the lamb cutlets & they were delicious.
There is parking directly underneath the building which is convenient in such a busy area of Surfers.
My only complaint is the bar staff, one girl in particular who needs to learn how to smile. Otherwise, no issues with the service from any other wait staff.

1  Thank Courtz22
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

We dined for dinner this week on Sunday 7/1/18 at approximately 8pm. We ordered the lamb cutlets and a porterhouse steak.

I have to say, our meals were PERFECT. A massive shout out to the chefs! I am probably one if the fussiest steak eaters on the planet and my midrare steak was text book perfection. The lamb was cooked perfectly too and melt in your mouth tender. I think it took about 7 minutes for us both to devour our meals and lick the plates.

To keep this compliment in context, I manage a successful Steakhouse in brisbane. I eat pub grub 5 days a week at work so I generally hate going to a venue in my down time where the same style food is served.

A while ago, my partner and I stayed at the Vibe Hotel next door to Helm and the restaurant we wanted to eat at was closed so we ended up at Helm by default for convenience. Now, every 6 weeks or so, we drive down just to eat there. Because no matter what we order or how busy the venue is, the food is always outstanding! Serve times are always reasonable, FOH staff are efficent and generally friendly, the venue is clean and pleasant and the view is great... But the food!  It's just perfect, reasonably priced pub food that is definitely worth the drive!

1  Thank Becky O
Reviewed 7 January 2018

Good food. Nice location overlooking the river and handy to Surfers nightlife. Staff need to be a lot friendlier...a lot of sour faces behind the bar. 4 of our meals were also forgotten about and not sure why??? We had about 34 staff attending. Event organiser, Sandra, did a great job in the lead up to the night.

1  Thank LRM4215
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

We drove by this place earlier in the day and decided to come back for drinks that evening. We arrived around 9pm and the restaurant was closing but the bar was still open. So we ordered drinks at the bar and took a table next to the waterfront. It was a relaxing way to finish off the day.

1  Thank JeffC832