“Appalling customer experience...”
Review of The Boathouse

The Boathouse
Ranked #22 of 216 Restaurants in Rockhampton
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I work in a local professional financial services business that employees over 20 people. We have over 200 clients. We also have staff from our Melbourne office that come to Rocky frequently as well as professional people we do business with that we take out to lunch & dinner. We know what customer service is all about. We have a knock-off drink every Friday and occasionally we'll have a staff lunch for a birthday etc., not to mention our Xmas party. I drink Peroni Leggera, the "mid-strength" Peroni and have no more than 3 because I have to drive home. Tonight, an 84 year old male in our group shouted me my 3rd beer. I gave him the empty bottle of Leggera to show the bar staff which Peroni to provide. The 84 year old gentleman returned to our table with the full strength Peroni. If I drink this, I'm over 0.05!! This situation has happened before at other venues and the staff have kindly exchanged the heavy for a mid-strength without fuss. I went to the bar to ask if the heavy could be exchanged for a mid-strength explaining there was an error with the order and that if I drink the heavy, I can't drive home. The owner, Benito replied; "once a drink crosses the bar it can't be exchanged" to which I asked what is the margin on this drink? Benito informed me the margin was 70%. I replied; "so, for the sake of generating some goodwill, you're not prepared to write-off what, $6?". This was met with arrogance and with a great deal of reluctance. As the Leggera was opened Benito responded with; "UNBELIEVABLE!!" I've drunk in pubs/bars all over Australia and in other countries on this planet. Without doubt this is the most appalling display of hospitality and customer service I have experienced. At $8 a Peroni us "punters" are already paying above tote odds. After this disgraceful display there's very little chance of the Boathouse receiving any of our custom in the future. For the sake of $5.60, they've just lost potentially thousands. Not very clever...I wonder if this also falls within the realms of responsible service of alcohol??

1  Thank Dean T

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We had a delicious breakfast of eggs Benedict, and bacon and eggs with pots of tea. The venue is excellent overlooking the river, and the staff were friendly and efficient. We also perused the main menu which looks comprehensive, will have to do an evening visit! Recommended.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Newly open high above the Fitzroy River, this new eatery is proven popular with the locals. You enter the restaurant at street level as you find yourself perched high over the river bank. The restaurant has seating inside and outside. Outside can be a bad choice when the wind is howling and rain is coming down in intervals. Unfortunately this was the norm when we visited it during a busy period. Anyway we survived and enjoyed the moment with a craft beer as we waited for our mains. The meals where good for our choice except one of the pork dishes could have been cooked a little crisper. Overall when we return to Rocky we will give the boathouse another visit

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is excellent. The atmosphere,service,location and cuisine is fantasti,and reasonably priced. I'd absolutely recommend it to anybody.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 30 March 2018

We went here at lunch time on a Monday. It's only been a few weeks since they opened, so we were very surprised at how busy it was. We managed to get a table. The place was buzzing, and there are nice views. When we went to order, we were warned that there would be a 30 minute wait, so we decided to order our entree's, mains and desserts all at once. For entree, Bestie and I ordered oysters: natural with raspberry mignonette & lemon, kilpatrick with bacon, Worcestershire, tomato, brandy (three of each). For mains, Bestie and Hubby ordered the Market Fish and Chips, and I ordered Sezchuan Baby Squid. For dessert, we ordered two Deep Fried Ice Cream Bao's and Hubby and I shared one. As I said, we were warned that there would be a 30 minute wait, however we only waited about 20 minutes for the oysters to come out. The oysters were nice, however quite small. We didn't really know what to make of the raspberry mignonette and lemon, but the Kilpatrick was very nice. Bestie's main came out at the same time as the oysters. Five minutes later, Hubby's main came out. They ordered the same thing, and it took 5 minutes extra. They started tucking in whilst I waited for mine. The waitress kept coming past and asking if I had received mine yet. Which by the empty space in front of me, should have been obvious that it hadn't. Kindly enough, hubby let me share his chips. They were very nice, fresh and crispy on the outside but fluffy on the inside. Bestie and hubby were happy with their mains, however felt that at that price, the size of the fish was a tad small. My main came out 10 minutes later than hubby's... that means it was 15 minutes after the first main (and entrees) came out. I'm not exaggerating... we timed this, and were able to figure it out from the time stamps on the pics we took. Regardless of how long it took, it was very nice. The squid was perfectly cooked, and the 'rice cakes' were interesting. It was at this time that we ordered a bowl of chips for miss 2 who had woken up hungry. They came out super quick (within 5 minutes). We all shared these. Still very good.
It was nice to try something different, and I would order it again. After we were finished, the waitress checked with us to see if we were ready for dessert which was nice that she did that.
Dessert was very delicious, but not what we expected. We thought the ice cream would be deep fried, but it is the bao's that are fried - they were kind of like donuts, and were delicious and crispy. I'm pretty sure that the ice cream was just vanilla, because I didn't taste any peanut butter. The cacao nibs added some nice texture to the dish, and weren't overly sweet which was enjoyable.
The wait staff were very attentive and apologetic for the delay in service. They did a very good job despite being under pressure. I think that overall, these are only teething issues that will sort themselves out in time, but overall, we will definitely be going back in the future and we have been recommending Boathouse to friends and colleagues.

Date of visit: March 2018