All reviews outdoor bath honesty bar private courtyard little touches mosquito coils pool and bar area free laundry coffee plunger beautiful tropical other guests the managers perfect hosts day bed palm trees home away from home bottle shop the great barrier reef
Reviewed 31 May 2007

I absolutely loved my stay at the Pink Flamingo! I stayed for 4 nights in May. I stayed there alone as a few days vacation after a business trip in Australia.

First of all, this hotel is very welcoming of everyone, regardless of your orientation (I'm a straight female). When I stayed, there were other single travelers, and gay & straight couples. I had a 1-bedroom villa, and I found it a great value! The villa is relatively private, although you can hear your neighbors next door sometimes. There is a big fence around each villa which provides you with a private patio with a hammock, outdoor dining table and shower/bath. The apartment has a well-supplied kitchen, living room, bedroom and bath. I thought the bathroom was fantastic - there are doors and a huge walk-in shower. There is air conditioning in the villa, but also there are screened windows which you can leave open so you sleep with a nice breeze and wake to the sound of birds in the morning. The gardens around the units are beautiful. There is free laundry for guests to use. You can rent bikes for $10/day. The staff is super friendly and will arrange all of your transfers and tours. There are also books, DVDs and CDs for your use while staying at the hotel.

A few small negatives: There is no internet access (not that you want to check it on vacation, but thought I should mention...). Very small TV in the room. No real "view", other than your gardens. The outside of this property is unremarkable, just a gate on the street, but once you get inside it's a garden paradise with a great pool. A little bit far from town with groceries, but definitely walkable and flat (20 min?). I ended up renting one of their bikes which made getting around VERY easy and fun!

I absolutely love this hotel, have recommended it to friends and will stay there in the future! I only wish I hadn't been there alone, because it would be the perfect hotel for a romantic retreat!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank Amanda C
Reviewed 29 April 2007

Could not fault the Pink Flamingo in any way! From the minute we checked in til the minute we left, everything was perfect. Sam greeted us and instantly produced a map of the area showing us the good places to eat that have been recommended by other guests. She was spot on with everything. She organised the trips to the reef and rainforest for us, offering us great advise to choose the trip the suited us best. Absolutely spot on!!
The 1 bed villa was perfect. It had EVERYTHING that we needed. Even shopping bags and beach bags! You could seriously arrive there with just a bikini and everything else would be available.
It was great having a dvd and video library there too ... especially after a whole day trekking around the rainforest. Look out for the lovely pet cat Friday and don't forget to sign the big blackboard wall before you leave. Cant wait to return. Had recommended it to friends before even arriving.

As regards Port Douglas, it is so relaxed. Great shuttle service in and out of town when the humidity and heat gets too much and it stops wherever you want.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank free1
Reviewed 25 April 2007

Recently stayed at The Pink Flamingo. This place really is a little oasis. The owners Cath and Sam were very welcoming and their hard work really shows in this property. It is immaculately kept with all the plants in harmony with each other. The one bedroom villa was large enough with all the necessary requirements. The bath is different but quite private. Everything was neat, tidy and spotless. We were told later by some people that it was built specifically to cater for 'gays' but they do cater for everyone and do it very well indeed.
We really liked this place and would return wihthout hesitation. We also went on Poseidon and Tony's Tropical Tours, two tours not to be missed.
The stay and the two tours were really the highlight of our trip.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2007

We booked the Pink Flamingo because of reviews on TripAdvisor. We have no hesitation in endorsing all the good reviews - on a 5 week trip this was a major highlight. We only wished we had stayed longer than 4 nights. We upgraded to a villa - not that the other accommodation wasn't great looking but it was too good an opportunity to miss. The villas are larger - great seating area, kitchen, bedroom and wet room and of course the outside bath, hammock and private area. Any one reading earlier reviews about the lack of doors to the shower/toilet - this has been addressed! It is an ideal romantic bolt hole. The mangers/staff - Sam Cath and Lee - are great. There if you need them, unobtrusive if you prefer. But always working away in the background to make sure that the whole place runs calmly and with great regard for providing for the guests. Nothing was too much trouble. An oasis of calm beauty with a personality all of its own. It is suited to those travellers looking for something different - small number of guests, privacy, no coporate feel or influence, no flunkys, no bar bills (no bar!), no room service (just daily serviced rooms). It is not a hotel or catered resort but a home from home where most things have been thought of. Sarongs, beach towels, lovely bath towels, candles, music , comfort - it is up to you to add the romance! Easily achieved in the atmosphere provided.
We loved the pool and BBQ area complete with music to suit your mood and soft lighting at night. We used the BBQ twice in the 4 nights we were there. A swim in the twilight and candlelight , herbs from the garden on our food music gently in the background, beautiful tropical gardens almost entirely to ourselves and a great meal. It was a real treat after all the hotels and eating out. Never thought I would crave a home cooked meal so much! A final word about the garden - I envy you your gifted green fingers and I enjoyed talking about your planting etc. It was a real pleasure to meet "the girls". We wish them all the success they deserve

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank No1Mum
Reviewed 5 April 2007

we have just returned home from the beautiful paradise we stayed at in the pink flamingo so restful and peaceful did not want to return home. my partner and i had our commitment ceremony there and the managers sam and cath made it all possible for us arranging celebrant and making us feel extra special great going guys, and keep up the great work is a total credit to you all concerned.they were great in the evacuation we had to have when thought tsnami was upon us no trouble to them. so everyone go and enjoy wont be sorry laurel and janise.

• Stayed: March 2007