All reviewsgreat locationmiddle of townpool areaspa bathclose to shopsthe main streetgood sizetwo bedroom apartmentbalconymarinakeyportkitchenettepdloungedishwasherbbq
Reviewed 13 September 2015

We had 3 nights in 2 apartments. Both apartments needed a real good clean. The linen was fine but the rooms were dirty. We were to worried to use the spa's.
The position was great but the noise from the street below bad, we got fights and swearing evry night on closing time of the hotels.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 July 2015 via mobile

I just can't believe how dirty this place is! Tonight is our first night and I am almost too scared to get into the bed. 2 glasses had lipstick on them and the bins in the bathrooms and the kitchen are filthy on the outside. I am too scared to look on the inside. The table, coffee table and side table were not wiped down and had rings on them. The table has a very bad wobble which cleaners should have noticed if they had bothered to wipe down the table! There are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms. The shutters in the spa room do not close. The door to the spa is very difficult to open and close. The tracks for sliding mirrors are full of dirt and dust. In fact, everywhere there is a groove on the floor is full of dirt and dust! The place is so grotty that every time I sit down or touch anything, I start to itch. We are stuck here until Friday! It might be a great location, but it is dirty and only has a part-time receptionist. I rang reception to let them know about the glasses and the bins. I was advised that all the cleaning staff had gone for the day, but someone would attend to it tomorrow, but she didn't ask me my name or room number. I hope she will know where to send the cleaner. Who on earth gave this place a 4 Star rating? No way! Never again. First and last time I ever book accommodation with Mantra!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
MantraPortDouglas, General Manager at Mantra in the Village, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2015

Dear Christine C,

Thank you for your feedback and it is upsetting to hear about the cleanliness of your room on arrival. This is most defiantly not our usual standard and I would like the opportunity to discuss this issue further. Mantra in the Village is manned 9am-5pm outside these hours our staff are contactable via our afterhours service and will promptly attend to any issues our guests may face. I will look into the response you received as generally feedback relating to our team is very positive.

I kindly ask that you contact me direct on david.hutcheon@mantra.com.au so I can investigate further.

Reviewed 14 July 2015 via mobile

Mantra in the village is located on Grant Street and is pretty much right in the centre of town. They have good sized rooms but most need lots of work. Plenty of patch work visible inside units.
The complex is in a good position but on the downside there is lots of street noise - this included early morning garbage removals and late night revelers trying to get home.
You will pay for all extras when staying with any Mantra - anything from internet services to extra toilet paper. Much better value around town.
Ratings out of 100
Position: 90
Noise levels: 40
Servicing of rooms: 50
Cleanliness: 60
Pool and rec. areas: 50
Value for dollar: 58
Overall Rating: 58 (below average)

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business

Dear Jimmy D

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

Mantra in the Village has a fantastic location as you have noted in your review however at times being in the heart of town can present some street noise which can effect some guests who are light sleepers. I am sorry to hear that you found the hotel below average and I can see you have a preference for fully serviced hotels.

Being a smaller, self-catering property we do receive comments regarding servicing of the rooms however the majority of our guests are happy with a mid-week service when staying 7 nights or more. Through this feedback from our guests I believe offer daily servicing or periodical servicing for a small fee rather than increasing the pricing structure to provide a service that not every guest wishes to receive. We are always more than happy to exchange towels, provide additional toiletries, dishwashing liquid and Tea & Coffee at no charge. We kindly ask any of our guests to visit us at reception to collect these items.

I do hope your time in Port Douglas was enjoyable and that you have the opportunity to visit the beautiful region again

Reviewed 4 July 2015

We stayied in a one bedroom apartment for one week, Very well equiped. Maccrosan Street just round the corner.Bed was comfortable.Spa plus balcony. The only draw back was the niose from the council workers cleaning the street outside with thier blowers which woke us up at 6.30 nearly every morning.for this reason we would not stay again. We complainted at reception but were advised that they were aware of the problem but could not get the council to change the time .

Room Tip: Choose a room not over looking the road
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple

Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

I am glad you enjoyed your room however I am sorry to hear that the council workers disturbed your sleep. I have raised this with the council and with feedback such as yours I do hope this issue can be resolved.

I hope you had a great time in Port Douglas and we hope you can return again soon to this beautiful region.

Reviewed 21 June 2015

Stayed June 2015. Chose central location as we didn't hire a car. Location is fantastic - 5-10 min walk to beach, shops, bars and Marina - everywhere you need. Stayed in one bed spa suite. Nice balcony with Spa - was the best bit. Got a great deal to stay there so wasn't expecting 5 star. Reception staff were excellent prior to arrival with some extra requests after booking.

The hotel was as expected - middle of the road, would benefit from a refurbishment to give a modern feel. Rooms are still in the late 90's decor and starting to feel old and tired.

There is street noise - woken each morning at 6.30-7am by council worker ( I assume?) with very loud leaf blower. Not directly the hotels fault but perhaps the hotel could ask the council to do this a little later in the morning?

Old sofa and chairs in room - musty smell with some stains to carpets - didn't really use them.

Reception hardly manned (didnt bother us) and Internet PC still broken - looks like for months based on other reviews. Pool area small but ok for couples. Mantra next door has better pool area you can use if you have kids

In summary, great location, some street noise, but comfortable and there is worse out there. It served its purpose for us and you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Doc B

Dear Doc B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort.

I am sorry to hear that the council workers disturbed your sleep and I have raised this with the council hopefully with feedback such as yours this issue can be resolved. The majority of the rooms have been refurbished with only a couple of rooms to go. Unfortunately it does sound like you had stayed in a room that has not had its refurbishment completed as yet.

It is great to hear to hear you found the staff friendly and that they were able to assist you throughout your stay.