All reviews seafood buffet feast restaurant lagoon room pool bar in room dining direct access duty manager main restaurant room was spacious tour desk salt water shuttle service rooms are great four mile beach the great barrier reef main pool tennis courts
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed at the Sheraton Mirage as Marriott Platinum members. As such, they upgraded our room to a first floor room with a balcony leading directly into the surrounding pool (see photo). Nice size room, with large bathroom. The various buildings are surrounded by a wrap around swimming pool and the room had a balcony adjacent to the pool with its own private entrance into the pool. The room did have a musty smell, presumably from always being next to the water. Not too strong but noticeable.
The Mirage does not have a club lounge but as Platinum, we were given free breakfast at their restaurant. the breakfast buffet was extensive (see photos). It had hot dishes, fruit, cold cuts, salads, breads, cereals, omelets, etc. Multiple islands with lots of different foods. I ordered custom omelets which were good. They had english muffins, poached eggs and special sauces, so I made myself Eggs Benedict. The wait service was generally not needed, but was slow when they were needed. I ordered iced tea, which was hard for them and the wait service took a long time to deliver it. My wife ordered a diet coke which cost extra and was delayed 20 minutes while they found someone who could unlock the bar to get it. Other than that issue, the food was extensive and good. See attached photos of the various food islands.
Parking was free and close to our room.
The hotel is adjacent to Four Mile Beach and one can walk directly out on it. I witnessed a splendid sunrise (see photo) and walked two miles along the beach to a set of stairs that takes you up a cliff overlooking port douglas. the day after we left, the beach was closed due to a nine foot crocodile.
The only jarring note was late check out. When checking it, the sheraton included a card that told us, as platinum guests, we could get a late checkout to 4 pm. However, when I requested a 2:30 late check out, they told us we could not and had to be out by 1 pm. They offered a to make a different room available for refreshing ourselves but the bottom line was we had cut our trip to Mossman gorge short an hour because of the checkout. Wouldn't have been nearly so important if they hadn't told us up front we'd have until 4 pm.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank P3537ZRjamesg
Steve M, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear James G,

Thank you for your review following your stay. Your comments are truly valued & it is pleasing to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. It's great to see that you have also shared photos of your experience with us, we really appreciate this!

We appreciate your detailed feedback regarding the wait service and your experience over late checkout. It is a concern that service expectations in these areas were not met and left a jarring point on your departure from us. We are sorry that you had to shorten your trip to Mossman Gorge and I will share your comments with the relevant department heads to follow up on your points raised.

Please do feel free to contact me when returning to the region so we may ensure your preferences may be met for possible future visits.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed 2 nights as a getaway to celebrate some job success so went for one of the high end options, room was lovely, clean and the balcony straight into the ppol was something I have never experienced before. Everything was as you would expect for in a high-end resort: comfy big bed, nice clean bathroom with a waterfall shower that my other half spent many hours in. Nice pools & restaurant options. The one thing that I will remember is the breakfast. We walk in past the coffee machine with 2 baristas & sit down, after 10 mins I realise nobody is coming to take our coffee order so I wander up to the baristas and ask for 2 coffees, the girl seemed very affronted that I would ask her for coffee & told me to wait for our zone waitress. 15 minutes later and nobody has come over so I go back to the baristas & she takes our order & so we get our coffees after we have finished breakfast, but better late than never. Next morning I try to save the wait & just ask the barista on that day who seems very upset I wanted a coffee directly from her and tried to send me back to the table but I explained what happened the day before so she took the order.
The oddest thing about the experience is that when we checked out we saw the coffees had been charged as extras. Firstly our room was nearly $1000 per night (we got it at a discounted rate), I don't see why they feel the need to charge extra for a proper coffee. Secondly if they are charging extra surely it would make good business sense to peddle the option rather than make your guests fight for it?
Apart from that everything was fine, what you expect for a 5 star resort. Next time I think we would skip the breakfast shenanigans altogether

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RupertC380
Steve M, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Rupert,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following you recent stay with us at the Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort Port Douglas.

Your comments are truly valued & it is pleasing to see that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. It is however concerning that there were some areas which have left a less than a favourable impression on the rest of your stay.

Your detailed feedback is important to us and has been passed onto the team. I do encourage you to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to the area so we may have the opportunity to provide an enjoyable return stay in the future & to give me the opportunity to further clarify in relation to your concerns.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

Recent renovation and decor update freshened the feel. Still elements of the 80-90s luxury. Nice rooms. Happy. Staff very helpful, found me a quiet room with a delightful view for an interview prior to check in. Would be a long walk anywhere if you couldn’t take stairs. Long lunch at Harrison’s was perfect - Great service.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear JackAus,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your positive comments! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the resort and all that it has to offer. We're glad you enjoyed dining at Harrison's!

We hope you will return to us in the future as we would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Extremely overpriced for the service provided. When paying $600+ a night there is a certain level of expectation of the service and experience and this fell well short. My partner and I have stayed in similar and much nicer hotels and resorts for far better value for money. Our room was dirty - especially the floor. It was disgusting and we could not walk around in socks or barefoot due to the dirt. The in-room amenities were basic at best and the overall resort still evidently dated regardless of the “$40m makeover” so proudly expressed. This does not accurately represent the current state of the resort and rooms. We stayed in a “Studio Suite” which did not consist of any above average features not even a bath or spa. The cost of the room is not justified nor does it reflect the quality and standard of the experience. We would not recommend this to friends or family should they wish to visit Port Douglas in the future.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alana K
Steve M, General Manager at Sheraton Grand Mirage Resort, Port Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2018

Dear Alana,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your stay.

I appreciate you detailing areas where your expectations were not exceeded on this occasion and have shared your comments with the relevant department heads to follow up on your points raised.

Thank you for your feedback and should you choose to return to the resort in the future please do contact me directly so I may ensure an enjoyable return visit.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

We headed in for a buffet breakfast, yes it was expensive but there was lots of variety, hot and cold food, fruit and juice, eggs cooked to order. The service and the atmosphere was lovely, a delicious brunch..

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family

Dear Alice N,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor following your visit to us here at the resort.

We are glad that you enjoyed our popular breakfast buffet and atmosphere. We hope you will return to us in the future and we look forward to welcoming you if you do!