“Definitely the best Thai cuisine in Cairns"”

Poemphun Thai Takeaway
Ranked #30 of 644 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2016 via mobile

We dine here whenever we can! The food is delicious, we have had many different dishes from chicken chilli Thai basil, Pad Thai, Pork Larb, entrees and I seriously had one of the best soups I've ever tasted here! Making me hungry thinking of it, might have to go for lunch today. The service is always great and very efficient,They open for lunch specials Mon-Fri. Wish the did on weekends but the owners need some time off. Definitely recommend this restaurant to all and that is coming from an Authentic Asian food frenatic

1  Thank Natalie H

Reviewed 21 May 2016

Wow are we glad to have recently discovered this little family run gem on Sheridan St. Far from the maddening tourist crowds this may not have linen table cloths but the quality of the food and friendly service certainly makes up for it. It’s got a fantastic range of authentic Thai curries and stir fries…all very economically priced. And it’s also BYO just to help the budget even further.

1  Thank Gurusan2
Reviewed 19 May 2016

I go here a lot when I want Thai and I’m close to the CBD. I’ve tried quite a few Thai restaurants in Cairns now and this one is up there with the best. The food is authentic, tasty, the menu is interesting and there is plenty of variety. There is minimal parking on site which is relevant if you are coming to dine in (it is located on the main street after all), though there is offsite parking nearby. The place does get very busy (which has to be a sign that the place is pretty good) so if you are wanting takeaway its best to call in advance. The prices are reasonable for what you get (generous portion sizes and great flavours), though if you head up into the beaches you will find cheaper (I would recommend a place called Tommy Ribs in Yorkeys Knob which is just fantastic and rice is included with the meals – at most places, including Poemphun, you have to pay separately for rice). Definitely a great Thai takeaway place that you will likely want to return to again and again.

1  Thank WorldTravla7
Reviewed 6 May 2016 via mobile

This is the place to eat Thai in Cairns if you like great tasting food, fast service, generous portions, byog and good prices.
The only downside is the lack of ambience. With noise from the main road and cafe style furniture, it is not the sort of place you'd go for a romantic evening meal. However, if it is excellent Thai food you are looking for then this is the place.

3  Thank Robert B
Reviewed 29 April 2016

I've eaten here twice and it's officially my new go to place for authentic non-watered down Thai food in Cairns. Almost makes me feel like I am back in South East Asia.
Pork noodle soup is excellent, and I love how they give you extra chilli flakes and fried garlic for that extra kick if you want.

Will definitely be back.