“The Best in Cairns”

Angela's Therapeutic Massage Solutions
Ranked #19 of 43 Spas & Wellness in Cairns
Reviewed 2 September 2016 via mobile

The Cairns massage scene is a scam. It is full of young people with minimal experience and no talent.

Angela is the exception to the rule. She has been doing it for a long time and her knowledge of pressure points is second to none.

Easily the best masseuse in Cairns. I'm really glad I found her.

1  Thank MHBJ

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

Not your typical spa massage. Don't go here if you're after relaxation and aromatherapy. This is seriously amazing, deep tissue, massage that will ease out kinks you didn't know were there. Best massage I have ever had.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

I'm used to begging the masseuse to use more pressure, so Angela was a bit of a shock. Yep, she walked on my back. She pummeled me, but how my shoulder is looser and more free than it has been for years.

Definitely not for everyone, but if you're after a deep tissue treatment, them thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

I have been to Angela many times for massage now. As an athlete, I require a firm massage. She is the only masseuse that has assisted with injury prevention. She knows what she is doing. My husband and I highly recommend her if a firm massage is what you are seeking. She does not do therapeutic or resort style massages, she is best working in athletes for optimum muscle relaxation. She's brilliant, thanks Angela.

Reviewed 1 November 2015

Angela's Therapeutic Massage was the first option in my google search. The website looked really legitimate, written in the first person and talking about tailoring the massage to the individual's needs. I am really kicking myself that I didn't check out trip advisor first.

The business is run out of a somewhat dodgy-looking unit. Angela, who speaks very, very little English, got me to fill in a short form with my details, and then took me into a little side room. She indicated for me to undress and then stood in the room, holding a towel up while I did so... not sure why she didn't go into the reception area, though even that is only separated by a curtain and not a door. Angela kept saying my name but otherwise communicated what she wanted me to do via gestures. She did not ask me what I was there for, what kind of massage I wanted, how firm I wanted the pressure (for the record, I just wanted a Swedish massage with a bit of extra attention on my calf, and I'm ok with firm pressure normally).

The massage then commenced. I have never, ever in my life had anything like it. It was HARD - really hard, and fast. She essentially ran her thumbs up and down my spine, and then shoulders, arms, etc., extremely quickly and with extreme pressure. It was so fast that it didn't feel controlled, and my whole body tensed up in response. I don't know it's possible for her to have that much strength in her thumbs, or for her not to pick up on me wincing, tensing up, etc. The pain when she did my arms was incredible and I didn't think I could actually stand it. I found myself clenching my teeth so I didn't cry out in pain, so I asked her to go softer. I said something like 'could you please not to do it so hard, you're hurting me'. She definitely understood, because she laughed and made a joke about 'torture massage'.

She did go a bit softer (still firmer than a normal massage) for about five minutes but then climbed on the table and straddled my back. After that she slapped on a heap of very hot towels, and then stood on me... using her toes and heels to grind really, really hard into my back. It was terrifying - I was filled with panic, because I was struggling to breathe (her weight and the force of her 'moves' made it hard to draw a breath). I couldn't get up, because she would have fallen off, I couldn't call out loud enough - I was trapped there. I can't explain how awful that experience was, and it went on for what felt like forever but was probably 20 minutes. I was feeling nauseated by the end and was worried I was going to be sick through the 'head hole' in the massage table.

When she got down I thought it was finally over, but she started on my legs and feet. This was intensely painful. My hips and thighs hurt so much that I (in addition to repeating again and again that it hurt) I kept moving out the way so she couldn't get to me, cried out in pain, etc. I kept saying 'too much, too much' but she would laugh.

At the end she told me in broken English that, even though I said it was too hard, there was something in my shoulder that needed to be worked out, so she had to go hard. (Well, she said much less than that, but that was the gist.) She also said 'don't worry, torture massage, you don't die' and that I would only hurt for two days.

I left and burst into tears. I can't express how traumatic this was. By that evening bruises were already coming up, and I ended up with major bruising all down one hamstring and bruises all over my biceps. It hurt to move for two full days, and I had trouble sitting down/getting up or raising my arms.

I have had regular massages for years, and from all different people and in different countries. I've never experienced pain like this. I cannot believe that Angela had any qualifications and she should be stopped from practicing. I did not feel safe, and I felt seriously faint and nauseated afterwards.

My husband couldn't believe that I didn't just get up and walk out. You feel very vulnerable being massaged -you're (practically) naked, you're covered in oils, you're in a strange place with a stranger, you can't do so without causing conflict or a scene. She also seemed like a nice, if crazy lady (despite hurting me) and I didn't want to be rude, which is just ridiculous. I wish I had walked out!

6  Thank ScottandJess