“Brilliant”

Angela's Therapeutic Massage Solutions
Ranked #19 of 43 Spas & Wellness in Cairns
Reviewed 19 July 2016

I have been to Angela many times for massage now. As an athlete, I require a firm massage. She is the only masseuse that has assisted with injury prevention. She knows what she is doing. My husband and I highly recommend her if a firm massage is what you are seeking. She does not do therapeutic or resort style massages, she is best working in athletes for optimum muscle relaxation. She's brilliant, thanks Angela.

Reviewed 1 November 2015

Angela's Therapeutic Massage was the first option in my google search. The website looked really legitimate, written in the first person and talking about tailoring the massage to the individual's needs. I am really kicking myself that I didn't check out trip advisor first.

The business is run out of a somewhat dodgy-looking unit. Angela, who speaks very, very little English, got me to fill in a short form with my details, and then took me into a little side room. She indicated for me to undress and then stood in the room, holding a towel up while I did so... not sure why she didn't go into the reception area, though even that is only separated by a curtain and not a door. Angela kept saying my name but otherwise communicated what she wanted me to do via gestures. She did not ask me what I was there for, what kind of massage I wanted, how firm I wanted the pressure (for the record, I just wanted a Swedish massage with a bit of extra attention on my calf, and I'm ok with firm pressure normally).

The massage then commenced. I have never, ever in my life had anything like it. It was HARD - really hard, and fast. She essentially ran her thumbs up and down my spine, and then shoulders, arms, etc., extremely quickly and with extreme pressure. It was so fast that it didn't feel controlled, and my whole body tensed up in response. I don't know it's possible for her to have that much strength in her thumbs, or for her not to pick up on me wincing, tensing up, etc. The pain when she did my arms was incredible and I didn't think I could actually stand it. I found myself clenching my teeth so I didn't cry out in pain, so I asked her to go softer. I said something like 'could you please not to do it so hard, you're hurting me'. She definitely understood, because she laughed and made a joke about 'torture massage'.

She did go a bit softer (still firmer than a normal massage) for about five minutes but then climbed on the table and straddled my back. After that she slapped on a heap of very hot towels, and then stood on me... using her toes and heels to grind really, really hard into my back. It was terrifying - I was filled with panic, because I was struggling to breathe (her weight and the force of her 'moves' made it hard to draw a breath). I couldn't get up, because she would have fallen off, I couldn't call out loud enough - I was trapped there. I can't explain how awful that experience was, and it went on for what felt like forever but was probably 20 minutes. I was feeling nauseated by the end and was worried I was going to be sick through the 'head hole' in the massage table.

When she got down I thought it was finally over, but she started on my legs and feet. This was intensely painful. My hips and thighs hurt so much that I (in addition to repeating again and again that it hurt) I kept moving out the way so she couldn't get to me, cried out in pain, etc. I kept saying 'too much, too much' but she would laugh.

At the end she told me in broken English that, even though I said it was too hard, there was something in my shoulder that needed to be worked out, so she had to go hard. (Well, she said much less than that, but that was the gist.) She also said 'don't worry, torture massage, you don't die' and that I would only hurt for two days.

I left and burst into tears. I can't express how traumatic this was. By that evening bruises were already coming up, and I ended up with major bruising all down one hamstring and bruises all over my biceps. It hurt to move for two full days, and I had trouble sitting down/getting up or raising my arms.

I have had regular massages for years, and from all different people and in different countries. I've never experienced pain like this. I cannot believe that Angela had any qualifications and she should be stopped from practicing. I did not feel safe, and I felt seriously faint and nauseated afterwards.

My husband couldn't believe that I didn't just get up and walk out. You feel very vulnerable being massaged -you're (practically) naked, you're covered in oils, you're in a strange place with a stranger, you can't do so without causing conflict or a scene. She also seemed like a nice, if crazy lady (despite hurting me) and I didn't want to be rude, which is just ridiculous. I wish I had walked out!

6  Thank ScottandJess
Reviewed 28 June 2015

I went to Angela's yesterday thinking I was getting a relaxing massage OMG I was pain crying. She stood on my back and cracked my shoulders and neck. She asked me if I was in pain I said yes but she still kept on going.
She went to my ankles with my pressure points it hurt that much I nearly kicked her but she kept on going.
After I walked out I felt a little better but after awhile I was in pain my lower back where she had worked on.
I laid on the bed when I got home and my husband said look at our leg it was all bruised and so was my back it was purple.
That I was in so much pain I rung the hospital and told the nurse what happened. The nurse told me to report her.
I do not recommend this lady she is toucher!!!!!

3  Thank boating4x4camping
Reviewed 5 February 2015

I came for a massage after a long haul flight, expecting to walk away feeling better. It was the worst massage of my life. It was extremely painful, and she wouldn't let up on the pressure. She shushed me when I was vocal about how much it hurt. She STRADDLED me and then STOOD on my back. It was the worst experience of my life. Waking up the next day, my spine was so inflamed. I DO NOT recommend this place to anyone!

4  Thank megz1988
Reviewed 20 September 2014 via mobile

Today my partner and I had the most fantastic
massage by Angela. She was on time, great value and personal. The experience was amazing and we are definitely going to come back when we are in town. she understood exactly were I was sore and why. We would recommend her to anyone.

2  Thank zoemark