“Like marmite, you either love it or you hate it - I loved it”

Asylum Cairns Backpacker Hostel
Ranked #44 of 85 Speciality Lodging in Cairns
London, United Kingdom
“Like marmite, you either love it or you hate it - I loved it”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

Asylum is most definitely a party hostel, although thankfully there's no bar to keep you up to the wee hours, meaning that I got a pretty decent night's sleep.

As soon as I walked through the doors, another guest handed me one of his beers and persuaded me to come out on the 'Mad Monday' bar crawl. As you can tell, it's a really friendly hostel. The mad monday bar crawl was great value, as it came with a t-shirt, three drinks, a meal, a pizza slice and free unlimited internet all week. FYI if you don't do Mad Mondays, then there's still free internet in 15 min sessions, or $3 for an unlimited session.

The hostel is not sparklingly clean but it was far cleaner than some of the reviews on here had lead me to believe. Even the kitchen lacked the pile of dirty plates in the sink that seems to characterise some hostels (although bizarrely there was no kettle?)

The staff were really nice and friendly, and seemed to know everyone by name.

I have to say that it's pretty cheap all things considered - $18pn for a 4-bed dorm - I've paid far more for far less elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank CupOfTeaAndASitDown

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
Airlie Beach, Australia
Reviewed 4 August 2011

the table of death, time out and mad monday!!! Evryone has fun at Asylum!!! There is a curtsey bus to town but a little far out but to make up for it there is a free meal at the Woolshead for dinner!!! Very good value for money!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Lewes, Delaware
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I usually go along with the "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all", but this place holds a special place in my memory. After six months of travelling and staying in several hostels in various countries, this place still shocks me. It's advertised by backpackers as a great value and wonderful way to meet people with all the social events. When my boyfriend and I checked in, we had high expectations. Crackers (receptionist) was incredibly friendly and offered a lot of help. Then it all went down hill.

The room we stayed in didn't have lockers and the four other people in our six bed dorm had stuff littered across the room (clearly had been there for a long time). The air-con unit didn't work properly and the bunk beds were really squeaky, which were annoying when bunk-mates arrived at 2AM drunk to go to bed. We were happy that the place was only a short walk to the main area (but so are many other hostels).

Then, on the second night, I was attacked by bed bugs. If it were just a few bugs and a few bites, I probably wouldn't have cared, but the bed was infested with both large and infant bed bugs that were even crawling in broad daylight (not normal). I asked one of the guys at the desk if we could change rooms and he told us that he'd switch the mattresses for us instead. We didn't want to cause a fuss, so we said sure, as long as the problem was fixed.

He stripped the bed and put the sheets (still with visible bedbugs) on the floor and took the mattress outside. We left the hostel to give him time to change the bed. Four hours later (and 100+ bites itching) we went back to the hostel to find the same sheets with the same bedbugs on the floor and my same mattress outside. He either gave up on the idea of helping us or just forgot. When we said that we were going to switch hostels, he started giving us excuses about how you can get bed bugs at the best of hotels and it's not the hostels fault. I agree...no place can prevent bedbugs, but a hostel/hotel can take responsibility for their beds/ bedrooms.

They kept our deposit and made us bring the bedbug ridden sheets to the front desk in order to get the key deposit back. Once they realized that we were miserable and less than satisfied, the same guy that was complacent to help in the first place offered to drive us to the YHA a few blocks away.

Aside from my personal catastrophe:
The kitchen was pretty gross and dishes were stacked in the sink with bugs for the two days we were there. The showers / bathrooms were a bit rundown, but manageable. The sitting area was always clustered with "residents" more so than backpackers and the internet was only free in 15 minute intervals (and was fairly slow). I hope they changed, but I wouldn't stay there if it were free.

Room Tip: stay at the YHA
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Globalmischief

Travellers are raving about these Cairns hotels

Cairns
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I cant believe the bad ratings i see here. this hostel is the best one and no doubt. you got sooo much free stuff and the fun factor is amazing. the staff is the most friendly and professional i ever met, they helped me with tours and everything. this hostel is very very old and it has its character but it is clean! it looks tared down and it is in some parts but you can really feel the history in the walls of this place. i felt really home here and i know that others did too. most of the people who checked in for a couple of days tended to stay for weeks! beautiful huge backgarden and hammocks. even tho its a party hostel, the party was always in the front so it was nice and quiet in the back. best memories of all! thx Asylum!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank FiffiCairns
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 13 January 2011

Read some of the reviews, Its either the worst or the best... haha! Depends who you are. This is a Party house. This is where you come to let loose and forget everything, where you could care less about the little ants crawling up and down the walls or that the A/C is non exising. This is not for the "Princess" light hearted traveller. If in your luggage you have more hair gel or mascara than food, this is not the place for you.

Would i recommend this hostel to a friend??? Depends on the Friend. ;)

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo