2,607 results
All reviews swim up bar a pool view room great pool tour desk large pool buffet breakfast two blocks central location stayed here for nights port douglas the great barrier reef esplanade foxes dusk cbd australia tours
Reviewed 13 July 2018

One month after making our non refundable reservation for 5 days, Novotel Cairns informed us that they would be renovating the property. Upon arrival, we discovered that meant ear-splitting jack hammering from 10 AM to 4PM each day. The floor and walls vibrate and a conversation at the front desk is impossible. To make matters worse, the property next door is also under construction. Yet Novotel offered no discount for the pain they inflict on their unwitting customers. Another issue was the moldy room. The room not only smelled moldy, each morning all of us woke up with congested noses, sore throats and headaches, which resolved during the day, only to reappear the next morning. We loved the other Novtels we'd visited, but we're feeling deceived and used by this one.

Room Tip: Request a non moldy room.
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Georgia M, Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Hi WordPeoria,

Thank you for your review, Please allow me to express my apologies that you did not have an enjoyable stay! Yes, we are currently having renovation works in the hotel lobby area which was creating some loud noises around this area. In regards to the cleanliness and mold in the room, I have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping Manager to ensure the mold is under control and eliminated from the rooms. If you would be so kind to contact myself directly at H0534-DM1@accor.com to clarify your booking details and I would be more than happy to investigate and offer some compensation to you for your unpleasant stay. Thank you again and we hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future after of refurbishment is complete!

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights as a family, 2 adults, 2 small kids.

On the positive side, the location is great, very central. The pool area is also good. Carparking is only $5 a night.

Unfortunately the negatives outweighed this. We knew about the construction (the hotel is undergoing a much needed renovation) so I can't complain to much about that. There is also a new building going up next door which generated additional noise from early in the morning.

The first room we were put in on the 6th floor was very run down and had a terrible musty smell. We asked to change and were given a ground floor room that was much better, although still quite dated and below the standard on most Novotels.

Wifi was very poor. Not working at all the first night, and never experienced a strong signal either in our room or at breakfast. YouTube videos repeatedly buffering etc.

Breakfast was adequate, pretty standard for a Novotel.

We get free welcome drinks (as we are Accor silver status). Every other Novotel we have stayed in has offered a choice of a few different (generally cheapish, but ok) wines. But when I tried to order a Pinot noir for my wife, I was told that the only red wine on offer was a (very cheap) cav sav/Shiraz. Eventually my wife complained to management about this and we were given a drinks voucher for "any drink".

The corridor on level 6 looked like it hadn't been vacuumed for weeks

General impression was that management is cutting corners and perhaps trying to save money or something.

Lower standards than other Novotel hotels (we have stayed in many)

Reception staff were helpful and to be fair, some problems were sorted out

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family

Hi Keith,

Thank you for posting your review! Please allow me to express my deepest apologies that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. As you are aware, we are undergoing a multi-million dollar refurbishment of our public areas,WiFi system and soon to be our rooms which will resolve some of your above concerns. I believe I was the one who spoke with your wife regarding the drink vouchers and I hope that you and your wife were able to use the extra vouchers for which ever type of drink you like and we have since spoken with our Food & Beverage Manager to ensure this does not happen for our future guests, so please again accept my apologies.

On a positive note I am pleased you did enjoy our location and pool area! We hope you will give us the chance to return after our refurbishment is completed.

Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

We just spent several days at the Novotel in Cairns and are very disappointed. First of all, there were renovations going on (of which we knew nothing at all!!! we booked via booking.com and couldn’t see any notice or warning of the renovation going on within or of the building site next to the hotel affecting view and tranquility: builders next door start at 7 am!). Renovation works were so loud that you couldn’t understand a word when checking in! When complaining we got a discount of 50$ for 3 nights and 30 for the 4th night (because by then noise had apparently lessened which wasn’t true).
Then the rooms and the hotel itself are very outdated (hence the renovation...), the cleanliness is so so (there is an ant problem in some of the rooms) and service overall is poor (we and several other guests spent 1 hour waiting for pool towels and got them when the sun was already set). I attach two pics of the room, one of the bathroom door and one of a huge mildew spot in one of the corners of the room - no further comment necessary... this is really lowest standard.

On the plus side: pool area is beautiful (but not very enjoyable due to building site within and outside of the hotel).
All in all: for this price you get many better options. Look for a better stay when in Cairns!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank Raphaela H

Hi Raphaela H,

Thank you for your review! Please let me express my deepest apologies that you had such a horrible stay with us! We have advertised on Booking.com, but unfortunately Booking.com do not give us the permissions to add the notice to the top of the booking page and as a result some guests were not notified, so again I am sincerely apologetic that you did not know about the construction. I am pleased to hear that we were able to compensate you for the troubles encountered in your stay, and if you were staying over the weekend, we have no construction in the lobby on these days which could be the reason for the $30.

Yes, as you are aware the refurbishment is currently in the lobby area and will move to the restaurant shortly and then after that we will be tackling the rooms which will resolve many of your above concerns regarding the state of the room. As for the cleanliness of the rooms and ant problem (we do get a lot of ants searching for water at this time of year in FNQ!) we have spoken with our Housekeeping Manager to follow up as it is not usual indicative of our cleaning standards and to ensure this does not happen again in the future.

On a positive note I am pleased you liked the aesthetics of our Pool Area. Again, please accept my apologies for your experience and we hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future after our refurbishment is complete.

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

This is a challenging review to write. I’ve previously stayed here twice and had been very happy so I recommended it for our girls getaway trip. It fell very short of my expectations this time which is disappointing. I was going to give it a 1 however some of the staff were very friendly and helpful and our complaints were heard and we were compensated for our stress so as a result I have increased my review to a 3. If you’re laid back and aren’t too fused about your accommodation you might find this place to be good value however if you’d like to stay in a modern, clean, comfortable hotel you may want to look else where. It started from checkin, we had booked and paid for 3 rooms months ago (they did double charge me for one of the rooms which they refunded one I convinced them they had made a mistake). One of the rooms was booked for an extra night however my companion had challenges with her flights and didn’t get there in time. They were fully booked and as a result they gave the room away. We had booked and paid for 3 rooms and requested the 3 rooms be side by side and rather than contacting me when my friend hadn’t arrived (which I didn’t know she hadn’t) they gave her room away. Our check in process took almost an hour to try and sort it all out and get a room for my friend and I was becoming very stressed. The assistant manager came out and didn’t help my stress levels at all. The receptionist shena was very kind and found a way to make us feel much better following the situation. The only other disappointment during check in was they would only give us 1 room card per room as they didn’t have enough to give us 2 per room. I won’t go into full detail of all the cleaning dramas we had but I suspect the vacuum cleaner doesn’t work, the cleaner who cleaned our room probably needs a career change and as a result one of our rooms had to be changed the smell was so severe (even the cleaner we raised it with pulled a horrified face). Think carpet stains, strange smells, body clippings, hair, used toiletries etc the cleaner Natalie was super lovely and took a strong stance on this situation saying she’s going to escalate the complaint.
We received a call the next afternoon from the hotel manager compensating us for our experience. This was very appreciated and good to know we were heard.
the pillows and bed were ok for comfort level, the cleaning job on our rooms was impressive after the drama which was good to see, disappointingly there was no mini bar, the food and drinks at the pool bar were great. Most other reviews complained about the renovations - that was the least of our worries.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with friends
Georgia M, Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2018

Hi Hayley A,

Thank you so much for your review, please allow me to express my deepest apologies for your experience at Novotel Cairns. I believe that you were up here in Cairns celebrating a Birthday! I am aware that our Operations Manager, Shelly has been in contact with you already to discuss your above concerns. I hope the pool was relaxing and you enjoyed celebrating and you were able to use your credit for some delicious cocktails! We hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Cairns once our refurbishment is completed!

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

The breakfast is excellent. Takes ages to choose.
There is a lovely bar area by the large pool. Lots of rooms have pool views.
Renovations to Reception and inside bar area are a little noisy at present.
Very helpful staff.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Georgia M, Manager at Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Thanks for your review Chris! Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful Breakfast. We hope we can welcome you back in the future!
Regards,