“Pretty Ordinary”

Ranked #37 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Pretty Ordinary”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We stayed at Rydges last week and we were extremely disappointed !! Location is great , it's close to Southbank, Restaurants and QPAC.Just as well, because our room was BAD !Cracked tiles in the bathroom, shower head falling off, sliding wardrobe door wouldn't slide.
Everything about it was tired and not well cleaned. The balcony had 2 chairs but no table, so sitting outside for drinks was a pain. Pity because the view was amazing.Downstairs restaurant CBD had good food, but upstairs 12th flooor breakfast was pretty poor. Not a lot of variety and it seemed they wanted people in and out quickly.The renovations going on to build a pool area didn't really bother us too much, but I would have preferred to have known it was happening before I booked. Money spent on the pool area should have been spent fixing all the broken and old fixtures in the rooms. Staff were pretty good, but the whole place just wasn't up to scratch. For $ 412 for a night It wasn't worth it !! :(

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Christine H
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear “Christine H”

It is a shame to read the comments you have made regarding your room. It is not clear whether anyone was contacted during your stay for us to address the issues raised. The hotel is striving to modernize it look, starting with a stunning new restaurant, pool and conference facilities.

The points you have raised regarding your breakfast experience have been noted. It is certainly not our intention to rush guests and I apologise you felt this way. The unveiling of the new ‘Podium Level’ development will encompass a purpose built solution for the Buffet Breakfast and I believe will resolve the problems mentioned.

I hope on completion of the renovations, I can welcome you back to Rydges South Bank, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Scott

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (637)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Our stay was for one night as a birthday treat and to attend a show at the nearby QPAC. Initially everything was fine. The valet parking was excellent, check in very efficient and friendly, and the concierge was really chatty and friendly. However when we got to our room around 3pm it was impossible to stay in there because of noise from jackhammering for the creation of a swimming pool. it sounded like the renovations were taking place in the room above ours and the noise was so loud it was impossible to hear each other. The concierge said it would stop at 4.00pm so we went for a walk at nearby Southbank Parklands. He also said it was due to start again at 8.30am the following day. There was no mention of this made at the time of booking and no rate reduction offered and I felt this was pretty poor since we were both looking forward to a good long sleep in and late checkout.

On our return we noticed the room was quite hot and stuffy so we adjusted the air con to try and cool it. We also became aware of the lack of cleanliness in the room, there was mold and slime under the basin which was pretty hard to ignore because it was right next to your face when you sat on the loo. The carpet was pretty grotty too.

On our return from the show the temperature in the room had not changed at all despite our best efforts. The air con did not seem to work at all, just the fan so we had to peel back the sheets and blankets and lie on the top of the bed to get any sleep.

As it turns out, we didn't need to worry about being woken by a jackhammer at 8.30am because we were instead woken by a fire alarm at the neighbouring convention centre at 6.30am, which went on for 15 minutes.

At these prices, I definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Riggergirl
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear “Riggergirl”

Firstly thank you for you kind comments regarding our friendly staff and efficient service.

Whilst we are striving to upgrade the hotel it does come with unavoidable renovation noise. Fortunately the demolition works have now been completed.

It is disappointing to read the issues mentioned from your stay regarding your room maintenance & cleanliness, these are an exception to our usual high standards of service. I am unsure whether you contact anyone to give us an opportunity to rectify them.

I can only apologise on behalf of the Convention Centre for their fire alarm waking you at such an early hour, but unfortunately situations such as this one are out of our control.

I hope on completion of the renovations, I can welcome you back to Rydges South Bank, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Arrived and was informed of an upgrade and thought that was great until I learn't more about my room.
Hopped in for a quick shower and had the choice of scolding hot water with no pressure or if I touched the cold water at all a freezing cold shower. When touching the handle to adjust the shower half of it just fell off.
It was good that the shower was so cold because the air conditioning did not work well and the room was like a sauna.
I was awakened by the strangest alarm in a hotel ever, the sound of a jack hammer at 8.15 in the morning for hotel upgrade works. I'm glad there upgrading as the room was probably last upgraded when the hotel was built 10-20 years ago.

Breakfast at over $30 had the selection of watery scrambled eggs and various other delights, hard to enjoy the view with the jack hammers going on and off.

The best was for last when checking out, the desk assistant had to remove her earplugs(with a oh were sorry) so as I could get out of this miserable hotel I paid a total bill for one night excluding dinner of over $400.

DON'T STAY HERE.

Room Tip: go to another hotel.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Brucefil
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear “Brucefil”

It is disappointing to read the issues you raised from your recent stay. It is with the best of our intentions to offer complimentary room upgrades and I apologise for the issues you encountered, I am unsure whether you contacted anyone regarding your shower and air conditioning to give us the opportunity to fix them.

The hotel is endeavouring to modernize its look with a stunning new restaurant, pool and conference facilities; during the week of demolition, earplugs were made available to staff and guests. I apologise for any disturbance this caused.

Thank you for your comments regarding the buffet breakfast, the points you made have been noted and will be addressed.

I hope on completion of the renovations in September I can welcome you back to Rydges South Bank, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

Best to book on line and sign up for their loyalty programme to get better deals still.
Easy check in, close to town and Southbank, closest hotel to QPAC.

Cafe and restaurant options are good and staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more and get a river view, nicer to look at and away from the afternoon sun cooking your r...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 26 February 2012
Dear “Craig G”

Thanks so much for the review.

I certainly agree signing up to the Rydges PriorityGUEST program is a great way to make savings, not only on the room but in the restaurant as well. The deluxe rooms offer truly amazing views of the river and city.
South Bank is often underrated and I believe we are very fortunate to be located here for the points you noted in your review.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel and South Bank again soon.

Thanks again Scott
gold coast oz
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed at this Hotel with my Daughter & 6 year old Grandaughter this past weekend.
We went to the Lyric Theatre to see Mary Poppins. South bank, Theatres and Brisbane CBD are all within walking distance. This is a fantastic Hotel to base yourself for convenience. Heaps of restaurants close by also. Valet parking attendants very pleasant and extremely efficient. Check in/out was a breeze. Staff on a whole in this Hotel were helpful which is a bonus these days ! Thanks for a great stay. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank jemGoldCoastOz
Scott W, Duty Manager at Rydges South Bank Brisbane, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear “jemGoldCoastOZ”

Thanks for the review!

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay. We are very fortunate to be located in the South Bank precinct with the vast offerings of restaurants, walks, theatres and more.
We pride ourselves on great customer service and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the staff.
I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges South Bank.

Thanks Scott