“Decent American Style Food”
Review of Surlys

Surlys
Ranked #1,002 of 6,569 Restaurants in Sydney
Neighbourhood: Darlinghurst
Description: American themed BBQ restaurant.
Reviewed 10 March 2017 via mobile

I miss this type of food from back home. This is a good alternative and worth check out. The buffalo wings were tasty and poutine was good. I don't think they were cheese curds in the poutine but it was still good. It's hard to find American style food in Australia but Surlys is doing a good job.

1  Thank Claylovesfood
Rebecca N, Guest Relations Manager at Surlys, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2017

Oh Clay, how I miss cheese curds too. That is indeed the closest we can get them in Australia, but thank you for saying it was good (I still get it when I have a heavy hankering for poutine. Daily.). Very pleased we can bring you a little slice of home, we are alllllll about the comfort food and we are stoked you appreciate it.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

We went to the restaurant come bar as it was highly recommended for its chicken wings. Yes they were very good and very hot. The restaurant/bar is Amercian themed and you would not know where the restaurant is unless you were warned, "There is a sign over the door - you will easily miss it". We almost did. The chips were very tasty yet very filling. Next time I go I will pass on the chips and concentrate on the chicken wings and main meals. This is a restaurant were you can go as a couple or group. On a hot day you could spend hours having a drink and watching the many tvs they have. If you like American style food - this is it.

Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

American dinner style restaurant, had the famous surly burger with a side of mac n cheese. Really big portion sizes, the burger sauce was a bit spicy but would definitely order again. Staff were really welcoming and friendly and had good recommendations as to what to eat! I would recommend booking a table as can get very busy depending on which night you go, over all really good feed and would go back again!

Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

I've been here quite a few times and checked out the different dishes. From my experience, the chicken is quite dry and the brisket can be stringy.
However, the beef ribs are always good. Get that with a side of mac and cheese or chili beans. Wash that down the the beer of your choice.
Staff is friendly and helpful and it does get busy, especially Wednesdays, so try to book. They do run out of meat if you don't get there early.
There's an upstairs section, with live music on Wednesdays.

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

The boyfriend took me here because I was craving ribs and he talked about how they're "the best"; I was a bit excited.

The staff were lovely and quite attentive. As soon as we were seated they were on us about drinks etc. Then our hostess advised us that there were no ribs available as their smoking functionality wasn't working - and that's fine, they do warn you on their site and on the menu that the ribs are only available until they sell out. We knew it'd be a 50-50 chance of ribs.

But then, scrolling through the rest of the menu I was underwhelmed by what was on offer.. I eventually landed on some kind of brisket sandwich, which would have been great if I really loved beef fat and raw onions... I think I ate half of it and put it down. The chilli fries were nice and the boyfriend loved his Surly Burger.

The ambiance is great (the music was fantastic) and probably good for a Friday night chill sesh with your mates before heading out. I didn't hate it. I just don't think I'll be in a rush to go back (though I WOULD go back).