“Expensive and no authentic food anymore”
Review of Golden Century

Golden Century
Ranked #785 of 6,666 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 19 February 2018

Golden Century used to serve good authentic Chinese seafood dishes. However, after my visit last week. I think this place is not worth to go at all.

I have ordered the ginger shallot crab, pipis in xo sauce vermicelli and stir fried beef. I was going to order the dried scallop on Fuzzy Melon. However it cost $12 per piece. Are you kidding me?

The ginger shallot crab arrived, the sauce was ok. The noodle was way too soft. It looks like been cooked and sits in the kitchen since in the morning. The pipis tasted terrible, the way they cooked the pipis was boiled them and mixed them with xo sauce. As an authentic Chinese dish, the pipis should be stir fried. Tasteless

The stir fired beef was average.

In summary, Golden Century has changed. Not worth. Spend your money elsewhere.

1  Thank Food_N_Ser_Critic

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

We were very hungry at the day, anxious to eat! The staff looks so tired, it was 3:00PM.....they were all very slow....and looks angry.....the seafood hot pot was ok, not excellent, but cost 48AUD! Every other dish was very expensive too! The service was very bad! The food was ok, but definitely not worth the value ! I was very sad about this, because we were celebrating our Chinese New Year.....

Reviewed 13 February 2018

There are some wonderful Chinese restaurants in Sydney. Don't waste your time with this one.

It must be the worst restaurant experience I have ever had. The food was terrible and we have never been treated so disgustingly in our lives.

Where do I start?

Our prawn crackers were stale. When we asked the waiter to replace them we were told to our disbelief, and with no apology, that all of their prawn crackers are stale so there is no point in replacing them.

No wine could not be tasted before being ordered. This policy (though strange) may have been understandable had the waiter not then poured some wine from the bottle we'd ordered into my wife's glass for her to taste. What could she say if she didn't like it? Pointless exercise.

These complaints pale in comparison though to the main dishes that were served up. Our pippies were served in a very gritty sauce and half were missing from their shells and nowhere to be found. When the waiter came to take away the serving plates (still mostly full of food) we told him we hadn't enjoy our meal and provided constructive criticism. To our disbelief, he just ignored us and took the plates away.

We repeated that we hadn't enjoyed the food again when the bill was brought to us and asked to speak to the manager. The manager told us we had finished all of the food so we must have been happy with it. At this point we wondered if we lived in a parallel universe where customer service doesn't exist.

We politely informed the manager that the food had been largely untouched but were told that there was cctv footage proving otherwise. When we requested the footage (yes, it really did get this far) he refused to produce it, then asked for security to surround our table so we couldn't leave without paying the $210 bill - there were 3 of us.

This debate, which for us had become over principles not money, went on for over an hour and was very public and embarrassing. By the end of it the manager had changed his story to say that we hadn’t finished our food, but that must have been because we were full so it’s not his problem.

Reviews on here indicate that there is a recent history of providing sub standard food and lying. If the Golden Century once had standards then it clearly doesn't any more. Its arrogant treatment of customers is unacceptable and I suspect its ratings will fall dramatically.

2  Thank James L
Reviewed 11 February 2018 via mobile

Had a great dinner with friends. Started off with lobster, oysters and ocean trout sashimi. Next we had live crab sautéed in butter and garlic and the rest of the lobster serve stirfried salt and pepper style.
Stir fried clams with rice cake in a delicious brown sauce was next.We followed this with squab, sautéed abalone and sautéed dried oysters. Finally we had a parrot fish steamed with onions ginger and soy sauce. Great meal.

1  Thank drl_smit-may
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

For many years I came to this restaurant and spent a fortune ordering live seafood and would rave to everybody how good it was. I actually had a private room for my 40th, 7 years ago, and had a tremendous night. But today I came to the restaurant and found the food the food to be bland, the sauces thin, and the food a little under cooked. I won’t be returning!!! I took a photo to show we didn’t all the food which is not normal.

2  Thank Adam L