“I use to love this place....gone to dogs”
Review of Golden Century

Golden Century
Ranked #844 of 6,912 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 7 February 2018 via mobile

For many years I came to this restaurant and spent a fortune ordering live seafood and would rave to everybody how good it was. I actually had a private room for my 40th, 7 years ago, and had a tremendous night. But today I came to the restaurant and found the food the food to be bland, the sauces thin, and the food a little under cooked. I won’t be returning!!! I took a photo to show we didn’t all the food which is not normal.

Date of visit: February 2018
2  Thank Adam L

Reviewed 5 February 2018 via mobile

Had a simple meal with family of 3. Nothing fancy was ordered. Just family dishes. Reasonably priced and the food came in hot, fresh and tasty.

Personally, I think nowadays this place is geared towards the mainland Chinese and local Aussies, rather than for a nice family night out. Very rush and busy as one can imagine.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 31 January 2018

This place is legendary for a reason! Open til super late.
Great food, amazingly fresh seafood. Always busy.
Delicious traditional Chinese dishes. Plenty of live seafood in the fish tanks. Fast efficient service

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 29 January 2018

I took a vacation over the Sydney summer and one thing I wanted to do was try the Golden Century as I wanted to try genuine Chinese food and had been told this was one of the best places to get genuine Chinese food in Sydney. As you walk in to this restaurant you can see the number of awards that they have won. Another thing that assured me I had made a good choice was the number of Chinese people eating in the restaurant. That's always a good sign! But even more assuring was how many regulars that were being warmly welcomed back. We started with Peking Duck which was served as the traditional two course. Pancakes and then Sang Choy Bau. As always it was delicious and the Sang Choy Bau had good crunch lettuce so that the textures and flavours were just right. As a treat I ordered a live Mud Crab in shallot and ginger sauce. It was to die for! The sauce was great. Who knew that you could get so much out of a crab that in all weighed just a kilo but it was a huge plate and fed three of us. The dried ginger in the sauce was delicious. We had a prawn fried rice as well and then ordered some Szechuan beef and a chicken and cashew dish. We didn't order dessert but was given a large plate of fresh cut oranges to finish our meal. The food is incredible here. The wine list was enormous and they have wines going back to the early part of the 20th Century. The service was good and attentive as well. There are other reviews on here that quibble about this place discard them its overall excellent.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank JJW63
Reviewed 25 January 2018

Our first trip to Sydney and wanted some good Chinese food. Our hotel recommended this restaurant, which was a big mistake. Extremely overpriced and poor quality food.
We got seated quickly but service was very slow and non-responsive thereafter. We ordered various dishes and one was the honey chicken, which was mainly batter and virtually no chicken. This was the only disappointing restaurant during our entire trip to Sydney. Unless you want to waste your money, don't go here.

Date of visit: January 2018