“A favourite neighbourhood gem”
Review of Fei Jai

Fei Jai
Ranked #400 of 6,916 Restaurants in Sydney
Reviewed 27 July 2018 via mobile

After returning from a few months abroad, it was comforting to find that one of our favourite local restaurants was still as good as it always has been. You really can’t go past the fluffy, creamy, tasty crab omlette, followed by succulent Peking duck pancakes, the surplus of which is then put into the best Singapore noodles I’ve had anywhere! As we arrived earlier at Happy Hour, we enjoyed a couple of margheritas and then a lovely bottle of vouvray. We shared a fragrant sago pudding with passion fruit and pandan for dessert. Our charming and interesting waiter gave us amaro ‘on the house’.
A couple of the staff are not as engaging as this young man and they did forget our side of greens. Also, we sat inside, rather than out, beside the heaters and street, thinking it still too cold. However, I would always choose to be outside, as the neon light artwork on the wall throws that alienating hue, which reminds me of being back in the uni library, late at night, writing assignments!! The music soundtrack is terrific and nostalgic for we baby boomers, but we sat just below the speaker making it a tad noisy.
Otherwise, a great little restaurant that has maintained its high standard over the years.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 31 May 2018

This restaurant had been highly recommended as serving authentic Chines food, but I think the menu is for Australian Diners predominantly..and that is understandable. I was told that the "Mo Da" consisting of 'Szechuan' spicy bean curd, minced pork and shitake mushrooms was close to authentic so that was my main course order. It was very tasty and I did enjoy it very much. The selection of Dumplings for Starters is good and I thoroughly enjoyed the "Chicken Corn" serving. A highlight of the evening for my wife was the "Chocolate and Strawberry" spring rolls for dessert.
The restaurant has both inside and outside seating but is spread across two or three rooms inside plus the sidewalk outside. We were a group of four and were in an area that seated approximately 10 to 15 diners...a little cramped but reasonably comfortable. Service was excellent. I was impressed that our Waiter took all orders without a notepad......four people ordered entrees, mains, and desserts and he was able to repeat the total order from memory only...and we did all receive what was ordered. Meals served in good time....overall a very pleasant dining experience and worth a visit.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 2 April 2018

With the effeminate omlette and the masculine crispy beef devoured, and within five minutes of finishing desert we were told to move on. Seriously? The maitre'd has more attitude than the food here. Dumplings are good but the Scallop Ma Po seemed very light on scallops. Look you won't have a bad meal here and you will probably enjoy it but there other modern asian dining ventures that will give you a better experience.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

So much to talk about here from the food, wine list, service, etc, but the first thing you notice is that the place looks like a store room!

It is newly refurbished from the old Sardine Room and the designer forgot about storage so boxes are under nearly all seats. This is very distracting and annoying - you cannot put your feet under your seat. This is very sloppy for a new establishment.
I am not sure if they know their target market but I felt that because they are in Challis Ave they can charge what others charge in this area.

This is primarily a dumpling house trying to be upmarket, but doesn’t work. There are plenty of dumpling houses in the area that have a better wine list or byo and are better value for money.

The Dumplings are nothing special and when they try to put there own twist on a traditional like San Chou Bou it doesn’t work, they have substituted the crunchy water chestnuts with zucchini- it doesn’t work.

This place has to lift its game to survive, and I haven’t mentioned the service, well nothing to mention there!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 7 March 2018

We had two delicious meals at Fei Jai on our visit to Sydney. The whites only egg omelet with crab was amazing sprinkled with a little pepper and their house-made chile sauce. During both meals we enjoyed the chicken and corn sui mai. All dishes are shared so that you can try more from their menu. We had more than enough food and left feeling comfortable, but not overly full. The staff are attentive and helpful, going out of their way to make the meal a pleasing experience.

Date of visit: March 2018