“Great location - shame about the rest”
Review of Hoochie Mamma

Hoochie Mamma
Ranked #1,187 of 6,793 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Newtown
Reviewed 28 April 2018

Despite living less than 90 seconds walk from this joint for years now, I've visited no more than 3 or 4 times and only at the invitation of others. The location is ideal, just minutes from King Street but far enough from the hustle. The cafe itself is very well presented with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating. The vibe is always great - it's always busy. The menu is extensive and adequate as are the portion sizes. What lets this place down is the service, quality of food and value for money. Every time I've been, I've felt the food wasn't cooked or served with love - and when you're paying $20 for an omelette and coffee you expect to be appreciated, at least a bit.

Reviewed 10 April 2018

My Moroccan chicken salad was substantial and delicious. My companion reported his beef baguette was seriously short on filling. Coffee was good. Our server was efficient but not welcoming.

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

This was my second visit to this street-side cafe, but first for a meal. Love the name and location is cool for a group to meet.
Ordered the Hoochie breakfast - the full cooked breakfast experience.
One tick from me as my pet hate of restaurants serving rock hard butter with toast was not the case here. Nice and soft, although the world could do without any venue serving butter in individual plastic servings.
Food was OK, as in it is what you would expect, nothing exceptional for $18. Plenty of it.
The service was completely diabolical. I was convinced there was a Mexican stand-off between the two staff serving the outside area. Lots of snide glances, and we waited 15 min for our plates to be cleared and order coffee. At first it was annoying waiting and observing the staff keep looking at our table and then ignoring the table and appearing to be leaving for the other to clear.! After a while it became a game to watch them ignore us and try to out do each other. Anything except clear the tables.
In the end we left without placing the rest of our order as the novelty of a show with breakfast wore off.
The cherry on top was when we were paying and said that we were leaving to go elsewhere because we were fed up of waiting to get plates cleared and place further order, the person at the counter just said ‘oh’. That was it.
Shame really - but we found a great alternative so our day improved.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went to Hoochie Mama recently for brunch after an appointment in the morning. The service was prompt and friendly. Coffee was made quickly and was excellent. Our meals were made in good time and again, were excellent. My wife had Eggs Benedict and I had Eggs on toast. Both were delicious and served nicely.

The only downside was the state of the restrooms. I used them and they were filthy and dimly lit. We were there from about 1115am till midday and I would seriously doubt they had been cleaned that day. The floor had not been mopped that day sink was filthy.

Maybe the cleaner was sick that day but it should have been checked as the rest of the cafe was extremely clean and well maintained, so the state of the bathroom was in stark contrast and surprising

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We organised an18th birthday brunch at Hoochie Mamma for 25 people. It was a wonderful venue with delicious food. Stavros the Chef was so easy to deal with and nothing was too much trouble. He organised it all - the menu, the table layout and food timing -we didn't have to worry about a thing.The space looked wonderful on arrival, set up just as we had anticipated. The waiter, Sparky, looked after us so well and made sure everyone had what they needed, nothing was a problem. Thank you for a fabulous brunch.