“AVOID!!!”

Ranked #152 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“AVOID!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

On my recent trip to Australia with my boyfriend we paid a deposit to stay in the Grand Hotel and in the end we didn't even bother to stay! We arrived on a Sunday morning at 10am. The first issue was that it was on top of a pub - I didn't quite realise that it was literally on top of a bar! Stupid me, maybe. The whole place was shut up and we couldn't get in. Luckily a cleaner, (what he did clean in there I'm not really sure but I will come to that later), lent me his phone to ring upstairs on the number left at the door (upon arrival my mobile phone didn't work and I was stood there after travelling for like two days with all my gear). I got an answer which said that check in was technically at 12 but he would come down and let me in. Poor customer service I think! 5 minutes later (after 4 other people had also turned up) a hungover and obviously 'just got out of bed' Australian comes down and takes us up stairs. There is no reception to speak of and the whole place was pretty dirty, dull and dismal and had that odour of stale pub. We were shown our room and the separate toilet and shower was pointed out. These were just tiled rooms so no problems there to speak of after just looking. We were told that they didn't except card payment and to pay in cash so luckily I said that we would need to get to a cash machine and would pay on our return. The room smelt of sweat and I immediately opened a window as it needed a good airing. There were unwashed tea cups and the bin in the room was still full of rubbish. I dared not even look in the bed at the sheets! The electrics to the room were operated by a remote in which the batteries were sellotaped into - safe, I think not! We then went and checked into another hotel for not much more money which we feel was well spent as we probably would have spent it avoiding staying there anyway! I have stayed in nicer, cleaner and better equipped hostels! I am not normally a person to moan about the service somewhere and this is the first review I have ever written on here but I just wanted to make sure that other people weren't faced with also 'doing a runner' to not stay here! I hope this was helpful!

Room Tip: Don't even stay here!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Leigh H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Czech first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

We booked a room that sleeps 4, including continental breakfasts for the next morning. When we arrived we were given a room that only slept 3 people. When we queried this, we were provided another room with a single bed in it for our 4th person - on a different floor. Acceptable, but annoying given that we all wanted to stay together.

Then there was the key issue... They electronic key / tag didn't work & the staff were less than concerned with getting it fixed. In the end we went out & had to leave the door to our room unlocked so that we could get back in because the hotel would be closed when we returned & they would not be able to let us in. Hardly high security!

Then there was the issue of our breakfast - neither the kitchen nor the hotel was open on the Sunday morning! So there was nowhere to 'claim' our continental breakfast that was 'included' in our booking, nor was there anyone to talk to about it!! We just had to let ourselves out & put our key in the deposit box.

And for $150/night for 4 people, we could have gotten a room in a much nicer hotel & shared a king bed / single / couch & been much more comfortable, plus we would have had our own bathroom & hotel staff to actually address any issues!

And I must not forget to mention that the sheets were stained. Who knows if they were actually washed since the last guests stayed there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank crazybree

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

The location of this place is great being only five minutes walk from Circular Quay. I think people need to keep in mind this is a pub with rooms over the top it's not a hotel. Sydney is expensive so you won't get much for the money paid for this place. It's a city pub with old tired rooms which need attention. The shared bathrooms likewise need updating. I wouldn't recommend this place but it served my purpose.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank RangerB11
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

As other reviewers have noted, the location is excellent, and 2 mins walk from the Wynyard train station, very central.

I booked a single room, which was 'upgraded' to a twin room. The first night of three, I slept in the bed near the window - bad choice, it was badly tilted to the left!

The only real annoyance I had with the place was that I got back to my room around 2am on the last night I'd booked. What nobody told me, either at time of booking or on check in, was that the computer system makes the magnetic keys inoperable after midnight on the night before you check out, so of course my key didn't work. Luckily a late night attendant wasn't far away, but after a long night it was the last thing I needed.

No major noise problems and the shared bathrooms were very clean. I wouldn't recommend using the lift though, I didn't trust it.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Melanie1980
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2011

I will write this as shortly as possible now to start off with rude service with staff to not shown where to go for room then realizing we are sharing bathroom an toilet which turn out ok due to one other person there that cleaned it. Now it prob wud of been good if they didn't rip us off (me and partner) I'n the room price we paid more then what was quoted and if the room had air con or atleast another fan due to not having this the room was soo hot and there is no fly screen on window so that's wasn't good aswell as we couldn't sleep due to the excessive noise every night. They beds were fine as it's was only for 3 nights they were made ok. As we read the reviews when we got there it was a shame also there is no free breakfast thy said no also when we left the place I'n morning there is no where to leave room key or any one to see u off. This would not be a good place for a fire aswell I'f ever happened we would not be able to get out of this place the oh&s standards are bot up to scratch the accomadation part should be shut down

• Stayed December 2010