See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 March 2009

if you want your vacation ruined with bedbugs and itchy bites...then Glebe GH is the perfect location ... and if you complain, well ... let's just call it terrible managment skills ... stay away!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
aussiex1, Manager at Glebe Point YHA, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2009

I have written to the author of this review on many occassions asking to clarify his review and I still have not heard back from them. I am curious as this is the first time I have heard of this incident, and the first case of bed bugs supposedly reported in two years. People think that just because they get a bite it has to be bed bugs - where in most cases it is just a mosquito bite or another form of a rash.
I object to this as it has no basis, and is unfounded!

Reviewed 24 August 2008

I confess I hadn't stayed at a backpackers before - I'm not a snob, but they had never really had the vibe that appealed to me: I'm a girl, I like my bathroom and coat hangers and a bit of luxury if I can get it. But I was pleasantly surprised after staying at the Glebe YHA.

From day 1, the YHA were a delight to deal with. I paid around $80 a night for a private room for five nghts, and while it was pretty basic (bed, sink, kettle, tea & coffee, heating and cooling), it was clean and comfy. I was expecting some noise and drunken idiots, but as the communal areas are really separated from the rooms, this wasn't an issue at all.

The staff were all helpful and approachable, the wireless internet cost about $2 an hour, and I felt safe and secure the whole time. Shared bathrooms are what they are, and there could have been more hot water some mornings but hey.The roof top area is pretty cool, great views. One of the best things about the YHA is location, Glebe's a gem. Totally chilled, close to everything, $20 cabs into the city centre at night, the Glebe markets on Saturday.

For those not sure about the whole hostel thing, I'd totally recommend giving the Glebe YHA a go!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank friggen_awesome
Reviewed 18 August 2007

We chose this hostel because it was a bit cheaper than the one downtown. It was easy to take the bus into town so the distance wasn't much of a problem. The hostel was nice enough, nothing fancy but a decent hostel. No breakfast included when we were there. It looked like they had a free bar-b-q one night but we couldn't attend. The rooms were fine, with lockers and free linen. We stayed in the dorm rooms. It got hot at night and there was no A/C but I am not sure if they have central air in the summer.
The rooms and bathrooms were well cleaned, all the stuff left by previous lodgers quickly thrown away.
It was pretty quiet when we were there (March) although you can hear noise from the courtyard when the window was open. We slept well. It didn't feel like a "party hostel", at least that time of year!
They nickel and dime a bit, charging a lot for any additional services. WIFI access was $5 for 30 minutes! We found much cheaper access in Chinatown.
We recommend this as a good budget choice in a very, very expensive city.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank The_Tembas
Reviewed 2 May 2007

We stayed in the Glebe Point YHA just before Christmas. Had chosen this YHA over Central or Railway Square as we had stayed in Glebe 4 months earlier at the start of our trip and loved the area. That and it is considerably cheaper for a double room.

Staff were all very helpful (although one lady needs to learn how to smile) and the rooms were all very clean, including the bathrooms.

The rooms all have their own basins which is great as you can have a shave and clean your teeth without people constantly walking in and out of the communal bathrooms. Just have to use the bathrooms for showering and toilets.

The staff did a good job of trying to keep the kitchen clean as well, despite the usual problem of travellers who haven't worked out that their mum isn't there to pick up after them anymore.

There is a roof-top area with great views of the city of and the staff arrange a weekly bbq up there as well as other events during the week.

Overall an excellent stay.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LV_Groom
Reviewed 1 February 2006

We were very impressed with the service at Glebe Point YHA as they were able to offer us a room at very short notice after being blown out by the hostel next door. The staff were ultra friendly with excellent knowledge of the local area and the rooms were simple but comfortable. There is also a brilliant breakfast bar 2 mins walk away. It is incredably easy to get into the city from here.

• Stayed: June 2005