“Comfortable and convenient”

Ranked #52 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Gorokan, New South Wales, Australia
“Comfortable and convenient”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

This is a great hotel for its position. It is only 4 star so that is what you get. Considering the deal I got for 3 days including breakfast and car parking I have no complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann R
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Happy to read that you have enjoyed our central location. I am also glad that our all inclusive package suited your needs.
We hope to see you back soon at Rydges World Square.

Tish Nyar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

We booked our room through a mystery deal so got a good price. It is very well located in World Square as we were going to the Capitol Theatre. The staff were pleasant enough and the room was clean. Our view was of the monorail line which wasn't the best! Also, there are smoking rooms so be sure to request non-smoking.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Jazzie,
Seems like the mystery deal you booked was perfect for the purpose of your visit to Sydney. I am happy that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us.
We hope we will welcome you back on your next visit to Sydney.

DC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2012

So, having stayed at a number of business hotels I expect certain basics found in 2 star joints that are missing here. Absent from the room so far are:

An iron
Tea and coffee supplies
Batteries for the safe/a working safe
Complete set of cups/glasses
Room service menu

There is also that wonderful feeling that due to there only being one bedside lamp (sorry couples that thought a king suite was for you) the bed is concave on one side and completely unused on the other if you don't mind not having a light switch. Staying here for a few days so will update as we go. One the upside it is clean, in a decent location and the front desk staff are polite and competent even if not up to engaging with guests or smiling.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank AussieinDC
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2012
I am sorry to read that the standard amenities were not placed in your room and apologise for the inconvenience caused.
I regret that on this occasion we didn’t meet your expectations and would be happy to have the opportunity to discuss further with you, the concerns you have raised in your feedback.
You can contact me direct at your convenience. My email address is tish_nyar@rydges.com.

Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

For spending a little bit more you can get sooooo much more out of a hotel. I was there for one night to see friends who were visiting and I need something central. I'd got a mystery deal off of wotif.com, so the price was fine, asking for a king room. Was surprised to find myself in a twin room when I checked in that afternoon.Calling reception they said I'd been upgraded to a non smoking room. Okayyyyy - since when do you get upgraded to a non-smoking room.
The staff were pleasant and quite helpful, but reception was very busy and more staff could make the passage though check in easier. The room itself was okay - the bathroom especially could do with some remodelling with some intersting stains about the place. The bed and shower good, the television had fuzzy reception - and it was a little noisy. If on a budget, I'd come back as it wasn't awful, but I rather pay the extra thirty or forty dollars and get a stay that I loved rather than one I just liked.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank PandoraBehr
When running on full occupancy we do try our best to answer all our guests’ requests. I am sorry that in this case, we were not able to allocate you in a Deluxe King Room . Although we could only offer you a room with 2 double XL beds, I am glad that your request for a non smoking room was able to be met. I have also taken on board your comments in regards to staffing.
Any issues with our television should be fixed with our digital TV upgrade and we hope you will appreciate the improvement on your next visit.

Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2012

Cons
- Blood stain on sheets
- Additional $5 charge on every room service order, despite no mention of this fee on in room dining menu
- Booking confirmation claimed accommodation charges had been charged to credit card but on check out front desk staff said no charges had been made. Then couldn't pay using eftpos because card couldn't swipe (despite it being swiped on check in for $100 pre authorization) so had to pay using credit card (which attracts an additional 1.5% fee).
- Floor levels start at level 12 not level 1 so first time guests are deceived into thinking they're staying on a high floor.
- I asked a room service staff member if I could have breakfast delivered at 5.30am as I was starting early. They said they'd check with their manager and call me back. I received no call back.
- Curtains don't block out light from street adequately.
- Decor in room is outdated and rooms look dull.

Pros
- Great location.

Overall, a very average experience for a claimed 5-star hotel. As with every negative review of this hotel, the manager will chime in and thank the customers for their feedback. As other reviews have highlighted similar problems over the past few years, I doubt any action will be taken to rectify issues.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Andrew B
ManagerWorldSquare, General Manager at Rydges World Square Sydney Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Dear Andrew,

Two minor points we are branded and rated 4.5 stars on our website listings and with AAA the rating agency. Yes unfortunately the original developers did number the floors of the building from the sub basement levels, so street level starts at level 10 an issue we are unable to address.

Having said this clearly not a good stay or experience. I do apologise for letting you down and would like the opportunity of discussing these concerns directly. My details are tish_nyar@rydges.com.