“Perfect location.”

Ranked #79 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect location.”
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I agree with a previous reviewer that the place lacks warmth as it was too dark for my likings. Nevertheless, I loved the layout of the rooms and the bed was very comfortable. I would’ve slept like a baby if it wasn’t for all the noises. The staff was nice and the location of the hotel was just perfect.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank timewriter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 14 January 2012

Billed as THE place to stay, the establishment was a big disappointment. We received a lukewarm welcome, no one offered to help with our bags or explain the gadgetry in our room. Despite billing itself as a design hotel no one had put any thought into having a plug near a mirror for hair drying. The room was too dark, the lift system to gain access to bars restaurants etc, confusing. It lacked warmth and needs to up its game in and look beyond the superficial. Also greeting guests by getting them to sign a promise not to steal the iPad doesn't set the best tone.

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank WalkerTen
Sydney
Reviewed 4 January 2012

A lovely city escape for my birthday at the Establishment Hotel recently. Located in a great spot to access all areas of the city. The room was beautifully furnished with the modern inclusions sitting well against the old building. Dining at Est capped off a well planned break by my husband. Have heard that it can be noisy but as we stayed during the week, we didn't have any of those problems.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I just returned from 17 night stay at the Establishment and wish I could be back there right now :) The rooms are opulent and comfortable at the same time, and the housekeeping and turndown service kept everything spic and span. I thought the bed was particularly comfortable and enjoyed waking up in a sea of pillows. I used the open air shower daily and never had any issues with flooding the bathroom, and also enjoyed the stand alone bath.
There were a few times during my stay that I was aware of the noise/music coming from the connected bars/nightclubs as well as from my hallway neighbours, but it was never enough to be a bother - and to be frank, you can find silent hotel rooms anywhere, but the experience at The Establishment is not to be missed.
The little perks such as the Bulgari amenities, apple TV, in room Ipad and exceptionally quick and delicious room service just added to my enjoyment. The on site gym is small but very functional - and actually has a large supply of free weights which hotels normally shy away from.
If you're looking for a unique experience in a luxurious hotel, I reccommend the Establishment 100%. If you're looking for a run of the mill, carpeted factory hotel - look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Sarah S
Melbourne
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I've never checked out of hotel early, but in retrospect I wish I'd left earlier. I arrived on a Friday and that evening thought that I'd accidentally turned the stereo system in my room on. It was actually the adjacent room's music. I had read about the noise problems and asked in advance for a room away from the nightclub, but I hadn't factored in the other guests. I contacted reception and they asked that guest to turn down his music. In the early hours of Saturday morning the guests in the other room adjacent to mine had a gathering of at least dozen people that lasted for hours. The next evening, the music from the first room resumed and it was so loud that I couldn't use my mobile phone (my friend said it sounded again as though it was coming from within my room). When I had room service I asked the reception lady if this was usual, and she said that it was because it is "an old building" and also due to "the layout" of rooms. I eventually got to sleep but was woken early Sunday morning by people who clearly didn't need to sleep. It was feeling a little Clockwork Orange by this time. I rang reception, and noone called me back. I phoned again, and said that I wanted to check out early. They offerred me a room swap at this stage. When I was checking out the lady at reception emphasized that I had complained "this morning", as if she had not delivered room service the evening before and explained the noise to me then. Add to this worn, tired furnishings and surfaces and the shards of metal in the bedlinen which I also experienced, and this is easily the nastiest hotel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends