“Affordable & Appealing Accommodation at its Best!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cambridge Hotel Sydney

Cambridge Hotel Sydney
Ranked #38 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Affordable & Appealing Accommodation at its Best!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Cambridge Hotel to enjoy the sights and sounds of Sydney and catch up with some friends that I hadn't seen in ages. I have to say that my trip from start to finish was exceptional! When it comes to staying away from home I am a bit of prude and very frugal with my money. I want the best value for it but also at the same time except that you cant expect to have 5* accommodation on a 1* budget! (I'd be an idiot if I thought I could actually get it for this!) This is where I think the Cambridge has hit the spot, affordable yet appealing accommodation at its best!

The service was fantastic, on arrival I was able to park my car in the multi storey car park below the hotel. Although this is not part of the hotel its ideally situated if you drive. I took the elevator up to reception where I was greeted with a warm smile and friendly hello by a lady named Donna. She checked me in nice and quickly, the usual protocol credit card, fill in your details etc and I was whizzed off to my room 1208! Something to note is that only guests with a room key card can gain access to your floor before the lift will operate, leaving me feeling safe and secure that not every Tom, Dick or Harry can access the hotel.

On entry to my room the view was fantastic, it was clean, fresh and had all the mod cons needed; phone, wifi - prepaid, iPhone doc, desk, lounge area, large tv with Foxtel (it even had the sports channel!), mini bar which was very well priced a beer was only $4.00 and air con.

Where the hotel was located was another great benefit, it is in the heart of Surry Hills and a 1 minute walk onto Oxford street where all the bars, clubs and restaurants are and if you want to head into the CBD then that will take you 15-20mins scenic walk through Hyde Park or a taxi ride 5-10mins costing $10-$15.00 (there is plenty of public transport also).

In the mornings I had breakfast in the 212 cafe, I was served by Adam, very professional & polite, he was quick and efficient with my order leaving me little time to time to read my complimentary news paper lol. On one of the evenings I had to organise a restaurant for me and my friends to go to, so I asked the reception desk if they could recommend anywhere. I was greeted by a lady called Sarah, again like all the other staff I had spoken to during my stay, she was knowledgable & friendly and knew loads about the local area. She recommended a pizza place around the corner from the hotel called Mad Pizza. She also recommended a pub across the road from the hotel called the Porter House, a lively Irish pub, with special $10.00 meal offers and a pub quiz on a Wednesday. However I opted for the pizza place, if you get the chance I certainly encourage dining here, the pizza's are devine and again the service is second to none, polite friendly and efficient!

Whilst on my stay I also found out that they are splitting the hotel in to three separate hotels. They are currently building a new section which is due to finish in August 2012. It is going to be a 5* serviced apartment type hotel leaving the Cambridge to remain at 4* and another part of the hotel to be 3* giving lots more variety to those with different budget types! Fantastic concept!

Lastly, although it may be seen as a negative, they dont have a gym within the hotel, however they have arranged for guests staying to have free access to a gym around the corner called Boxing Works (www.boxingworks.com.au). It is actually quite nice to leave the hotel especially when it is in bid to get some exercise! Being a regular gym user, I do like a clean and friendly place to work out, this place is great! Although it is mainly martial arts users, the gym was clean, I could find the weights where I needed to, cardio machines were sweat free, no intimidating Personal Trainer looking over my shoulder and the staff are polite & friendly. I recommend doing a Boxercise class I did the 6.15pm class on Monday, it was busy but the atmosphere was amazing!

The three nights I spent there were brilliant, and I had a really good nights sleep on all occasions, the bed was comfortable & clean, and the pillows are to die for! The level of service I received was great, the staff were friendly & polite right from the smiley House Keepers to the Managers on reception, always willing to please, they honestly couldn't do more for you. I would certainly recommend this hotel to friends and family members to come and stay!

Thank you for an amazing stay and I will be sure to check in soon!

Room Tip: I'd say call and book directly with the hotel and avoid the middleman as I have experienced in t...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear Happy_Chappy77,
Thank you very much for your great and extensive feedback regarding the hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you have had a great time while staying with us at the Cambridge Hotel. I have passed on your comments to the staff who are always grateful to have positive feedback, We hope that you call the Cambridge Hotel your home away from home from now on and look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kind Regards
Steven Gargano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Wollongong, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I'm a regular visitor to Sydney and have stayed in just about every hotel around the CBD over the last 6 years.

I've NEVER lost anything or been robbed until 3/3/12.

At the time of my booking and a few more times prior to my stay, I asked for a late checkout and was advised by a very helpful lady to confirm at check in if a late check out was ok.

Before I went to check in, I made the mistake of withdrawing too much $ from my account and was advised at check in, that my credit card had been declined. No problem, I had cash on me and didn't care how I paid. I was also asked to request a late check-out when I leave the hotel at 8pm, as the late check-out still couldn't be confirmed.

I handed over $300 all together, $50 deposit and $236 for the night. I received my change and thought nothing of it until I logged into my bank to transfer funds and noticed I had in fact been charged $50 after being told my card was declined, which I could only presume was the Cambridge as I hadn't given anyone else my card.

I thought I'll let them know when I ask again about the late check-out. When I did, they said they'll have to count the float and ask the french girl who booked me in.

I've been advised that I didn't pay this $50 cash and that I am in fact wrong. I find it hard to accept that a hotel employee's people who steal from their guests and can cover their tracks so easily...

So, now I have to file a Police report so they can view the footage and confirm what? Unless I have the chance to point out what happened and when, how can they know what was going on? I know how many times I went into my wallet and how much I pulled out and HANDED OVER!

4/3/12, At 11:15am I received a phone call from reception saying I have to check-out, despite my pre organised 2pm check-out... I always request late check-outs and have never been woken up THREE hours before Im due to leave. I didn't get to bed until 7am! 4 hours sleep...

Between the running toilet, staff who double dip on the holding funds & who can't read notes, I couldn't wait to leave.

Regardless if my $50 is returned or not, I have no intention of staying in this hotel again.

I also don't like the pool setup. You feel like you're on show for all the guests, whose rooms surround the pool/spa. Not a great feeling...

The bar fridge was also empty except for the off milk, no water or snacks!
And the ac was loud too.

Not Happy

Room Tip: A tip you ask? Avoid the Cambridge altogether, if you MUST stay, ask for receipts and take your ear...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RobbedByCambridge
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear RobbedByCambridge,
Further to our many telephone conversations and to your Facebook and YouTube posts I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your postings. Firstly I apologise for the misunderstanding regarding your late checkout; this was entirely the hotels mistake.

In regards to the bar fridge, you booked a room type that does not have mini bars. Our Premium, Deluxe and Deluxe One Bedroom Suites offer full mini bars. Also the milk that is offered is the long life milk that is present in many hotels. I have checked the batch and the expiry date is not for another 18 month. The hotel offers 24 hours room service and fresh milk is available 24 hours a day. I am sorry in our many conversations the above two items have not been mentioned as I would have addressed these with you verbally. I was only made aware of these two issues from your post

As explained on check in and by myself , it is common practice in hotels around the world that a pre- authorisation for extras and incidentals is taken at check in. This is either refunded on check out or any incidentals e.g. phone calls, room services are deducted from this amount and remaining funds refunded.

We at the hotel take all our guest’s privacy extremely seriously and could not just relinquish CCTV footage, I do know that this puzzled you however there is 20 - 30 guests that are in the footage of yourself checking in. As explained in our initial conversation I would have to obtain clearance that we were not breaching any of our guests privacy. Believe me, we had viewed the footage and were aware that there had been no misappropriation of funds or in your words ‘robbed’. It would have been a lot easier for the hotel to have just shown you that footage however I again stress that all guest’s privacy is paramount.

As we have discussed the video footage has been watched and there is no evidence to support what you have explained in your review. Again as discussed we have had advice from both Police and Solicitors not to release the CCTV footage due to privacy act.

The footage has been verified and no theft took place. Further to our last phone call, whilst not being able to release the footage, we have had clearance for you to view the footage at the hotel. So again I invite you at a time convenient to yourself to come to the hotel and view the CCTV footage

We are keen to show you the video footage to give you more clarity in this matter and to put your mind at ease as to what happened at check in. Our staff, especially the staff member who checked you in are also very eager to show you the footage so that they can take away any doubts that you have about money being taken at check in. We would also be very much appreciate if you could adjust your current user name “RobbedByCambridge” as this is not what is reflected in the CCTV footage.

I am very proud of the staff and the service that they extend to all guests.

Best Regards
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

Went to Sydney for a friend's wedding and we wanted a central hotel which was nice and clean as we would be out and about most days.

The Cambridge ticked all the boxes - walking distance to the city centre and close to all the great small cafes and restaurants in Darlinghurst and Surry Hills.

The staff are super nice and helpful, the rooms are nice and the views from the 14th Floor were stunning.

The only issue we had was the time the check in took but that was such a small thing.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Hi Sue2505,
Great to hear that you have had an enjoyable time at the Cambridge Hotel Sydney. Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback on your recent stay with us. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed to location and the hotel room with its stunning city views. We hope to see you back at the Cambridge in the near future.
Regards
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

We had a very enjoyable overnight stay. Very friendly helpful staff. The room was very clean and tidy. The view was great and only a 15 minute taxi ride to the opera house. The reception were very fiend lay and welcoming. Will definitely stay
Again.

Hi Catvorm,
Great to hear you have had a great time. Thank you for the wonderful comments towards the hotel. Also great to hear we have met your expectations regarding the location of the Cambridge Hotel.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Kind Regards
Cessnock, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Have booked again for a family city adventure! With War memorial, Botanic gardens, Opera house and fantastic food all within walking distance., We caught the ferry across to Darling harbour, Loved how close it was to everything we needed. The beds are dreamy comfy and staff were friendly and helpful. We had a dip in the inndoor pool after a hot Summers day, it was great.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear Terrie E
Thank you very much for your great feedback, It is great to hear that you have had a wonderful time when staying at the Cambridge Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you, your friends and family back to the hotel in the near future.
Best Regards