Cambridge Hotel Sydney
  • Pool
Travelodge Hotel Sydney(Sydney)
  • Breakfast included
4,814 results
All reviewssurry hillsoxford streetgreat locationbalcony roommuseum stationhyde parkwalking distancefree wifigood sizepublic transportopera housewould stay againreception staffmini barshort staybuffet breakfastcentral location
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Have booked again for a family city adventure! With War memorial, Botanic gardens, Opera house and fantastic food all within walking distance., We caught the ferry across to Darling harbour, Loved how close it was to everything we needed. The beds are dreamy comfy and staff were friendly and helpful. We had a dip in the inndoor pool after a hot Summers day, it was great.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Dear Terrie E
Thank you very much for your great feedback, It is great to hear that you have had a wonderful time when staying at the Cambridge Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you, your friends and family back to the hotel in the near future.
Best Regards

Reviewed 23 February 2012

Before reading on its only fair I make you aware that following several complaints to the staff and finally the hotel manager we did get some compensation for the problems we experienced. Both me and my partner were happy with this - but I still think its important to be honest about our time at this hotel.

The location is great - only a 25 minute walk through the CBD to the iconic Sydney harbour front - with the bridge and Opera House.

The hotel is in an area called Surry Hills - a very trendy area with lots of lovely bars and places to eat just round the corner. Crown Street in particular will leave you spoilt for choice.

The hotel rooms are basic but have a good showers and ours was very spacious too.

However - we felt let down by our time here.

First of all - there was a power cut on one of the nights - with not notice to tell us so when we returned hot and sweaty from our harbour bridge climb. We had to fumble around in pitch black corridors before returning to reception to ask what was going on. We had no air con, no flushing toilet (properly anyway), no hot shower and of great concern there was no fire exit signs lit up anywhere as I am sure they are supposed to be in case of a power cut.

It was finally resolved at 11pm at night - it went off at 11.30am.

The sheets in our room were not changed for the whole five nights we were there - wet used towels were left on the floor, glasses that we'd used to drink from were not replaced, the sides were left dusty and the fridge was never cleaned - despite the fact it all melted during the power cut. We complained about all the above - but to no effect.

The internet is a total rip off - we paid $12 for 2 hours - failing to complete even one task in that time. When we complained - we were told to ring the provider ourselves to get a refund. Not acceptable.

The staff tried to help but check out was slow and communication between staff was poor.

In all - if you are doing Oz on a budget - I would look at other hotels first before this one. Its not terrible - but little improvements would go a long way to making a happier stay.

Room Tip: The top floor has some good views over the CBD.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy_Lea_10
CambridgeHotel, General Manager at Cambridge Hotel Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

Dear Amy_Lea_10

I am a little bit disappointed and confused to read your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Cambridge. The power outage was suburb wide and was totally out of control of the hotel. Whilst you have written that you received “some compensation” from the hotel. This included one nights full refund plus in addition to this an extra $ 50.00. In regards to the electricity being restored this was at 6:30 pm. Ausgrid has also confirmed this and power was back to the hotel and the suburb by 6:30 pm.

This is a one of occurrence and indeed we have learned from this experience. I do apologise regarding the fridge having defrosted during the power outage. I have spoken with our executive housekeeper and not that we envisage that this will happen again. We have now implemented procedures that will ensure that if in the unlikely event the power outage happens again; all refrigerators will be checked for defrosting.
I have met with our Front Office Manager and to his recollection in your conversation with him the room servicing issue was raised however the towel issue was not broad up. We keep extensive logs on rooms and when they are serviced also the changing of linen. I along with the Executive Housekeeper checked these logs and your linen, towels and room was serviced and changed daily.

My team and I believe that great guest service is essential and that Guest Satisfaction is first priority to us. I totally agree with you in your statement; “but I still think it’s important to be honest about our time at this hotel.” The Hotel was put under immense pressure during the outage and I am 100% proud of the staff and the effort and commitment shown to guests during this difficult period.
We strongly encourage guest feedback and I am very happy to say that we have received many congratulatory letters, emails and phone calls commenting on how professional and obliging the staff were during this challenging period of the power outage.

Thank you for taking the time post about the hotel please feel free to contact me at any time to discuss our investigation into the issues you have raised.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Stayed here twice, once for business and once for family weekend. Rooms are a good size but can be marred by opaque windows making them feel opressive. Bedding is good and room generally clean but noted the early stages of mould on bathroom wall. Great reception staff, young and helpful but not enough of them so checking in and out too slow. Really good location for Oxford Street and walking to Botanic garden and catching bus to Bondi. Spent hours looking for an affordable centrally located place to stay with a family of four and found this to be the best option by 3-4 hundred dollars over a weekend. Swimming pool not as big as you would expect in an Australian backyard.

Room Tip: Ask whether the windows are translucent.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Gallina63

Dear Gallina63
It is a pleasure to read your comments about the Cambridge being ideal for you and your family stay while in Sydney. Thank you also very much for the great feedback regarding our staff, they work very hard to ensure that our guests have a positive experience while staying with us. I look forward welcoming you and your family back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Don't be put off by the initial appearance of the hotel the room we had was more than adequate
The girls on the front desk are really helpfull.
We arrived from Dubai at 07:00 to be told our room wouldn't be available until 2 pm however the girls showed us to a shower room where we could freshen up and get changed. They also took our number and contacted us around 12 to let us know our room was ready
The hotel is clean comfortable and ideally situated being just a short walk from many attractions.
An ideal base for our short trip
A couple of "niggles" I wasn't too happy about we're
1. The credit card holding of $100 dollars for items extras we were told wouldn't be repaid for 10 working days. Which is FAR TOO LONG
2. Try and avoid a room overlooking the police station and the Irish pub as it gets very noisy on a weekend
Other than that it was fine

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Bob_the_Fireman

Hi Bob_the_Fireman,

I am glad to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay at the Cambridge Hotel and the standard of service we provide. Thank you also for your feedback regarding the pre-authorisation release of the credit cards and the allocation of the rooms. Please advise our front desk staff at check out if you wish to have the amount released right away. We can with cooperation of the banks release the amount if a fax is sent .
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed 11 February 2012

This was our 5th time staying at the Cambridge. I dont think we will ever stay anywhere else when we visit Sydney. The staff are all so polite and friendly, nothing is a trouble for them. We spent a bit extra this visit and stayed in high floor room with a balcony, it was truely amazing, sunrise from the 13th floor is a must see. We will be back in March.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZHN555

Hi ZHN555,
To see the sunrise from the higher floors is indeed truly amazing, I have had the pleasure to experience this myself before. I am glad to hear that everything was to your satisfaction and that you call the Cambridge your home away from home.
I look forward to welcome you back in the near future.