“Really enjoyed the food”

Sake Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #113 of 6,858 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$15 - US$29
Cuisines: Japanese, Wine Bar
Good for: Groups, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Description: Set within an impressive designer space in the historic Argyle Precinct at The Rocks, Saké Restaurant & Bar serves up contemporary Japanese fare created by sushi master Shimpei Hatanaka, who draws on authentic Japanese training to present an outstanding mix of new-style sushi and classic dishes.Shimpei's menu changes with the seasons and is perfectly matched to a premium range of imported sakes, allowing guests to gain greater insight into the age-old Japanese tradition of delicately balancing flavours. Awarded with a coveted Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide Chef's Hat each year since opening, Saké is sure to exceed your expectations. Call in for cocktails, pull up a seat at the sushi bar or settle in with friends for the evening and savour the experience!
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We arrived after 9PM on a weekday and had no problems finding a table. We were seated across from the kitchen and we could see everything that they were doing.

Ordered the waygu beef and chicken teriyaki starters. These were very tasty, and built up to the butterfish and chicken teriyaki mains. WOW - the butterfish was so tender and fell aprt, no bones, and the sauce was divine!

I would definitely come back.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed 8 January 2011

My husband and I asked around for some dinner recommendations while we were in The Rocks on January 5 (a Wednesday), and it was suggested that we stop by Sake. We really enjoy good food, good atmosphere, and a good experience.

Since it was a Wednesday before 7PM, we were told that it wouldn't be a problem to get in. When we arrived at the restaurant, it was completely empty....didn't see a single table with people at it. We asked the waitress if there was availability for dinner. She SNEERED at us and said "Do you have a reservation"? When we told her no, but we were just recommended to come to Sake, she offered for us to come back after 9PM to see if anything would open up.

As we left, the girl rolled her eyes as if we weren't good enough to be in her presence. The crazy thing is that after we had a really great dinner at another local spot, we happened to be walking back past Sake around 8:30 and noticed that there were still plenty of empty seats.

Sake -- you may have a nice concept and hopefully good food, but the attitude of your staff and willingness to turn away business will ruin everything. Shame on you.

3  Thank MDaus
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We had lunch at Sake on saturday and had a great time. The food was excellent, particularly the jalepeno kingfish. great atmosphere, good service (we did have one order mistake which resulted in us getting an extra appetiser), and a nice selection of sake. All in all a fun lunch, four dishes and drinks for about $120.

Reviewed 11 December 2010

Basically a nobu ripoff with more showmanship. Certainly they spent a lot on decor but the food is nice but nothing really new. We had fun but that was just atmosphere and alcohol. Go with a group without caring too much what you are eating and you will enjoy. If you seriously like japanese food, avoid.

Reviewed 3 August 2010

I was so looking forward to eating here, booked a single booking at the sushi bar so I could be entertained whilst eating.
I felt the wait staff a bit pushy as I didnt order several things at once and was questioned about would I be ordering more but it was more than a question I felt like I was being shamed into saying yes.
I said my order as a sushi combo, but there is not sushi combo only a sushimi combo so I made a mistake, I was not questioned or corrected on what I said and ended up with a sushimi combo, not sushi something as I believed I was ordering. I hate sushimi so I know I didnt ask for that, but on reflection and reading the menu I realised it was probably my fault but I was still annoyed I had not been questioned or corrected and given the pushiness of the wait staff decided to eat what I could and move on, but it did dampen my enjoyment of the night.
the rest of my order, tempura, teriyaki and dessert were all great, the dessert a chocolate fondant was to die for, however I wouldnt return as I didnt feel comfortable correcting my order, and that dish cost me $45