All reviews mayan culture presidential suite cochinita pibil howler monkeys traditional dishes mayan dishes small lake rooms are huge his vast knowledge german owner palenque ruins place to stay custom designed a short cab ride menu varied massage area private tour
Reviewed 5 March 2015

Presents itself as boutique hotel but we do not share this opinion. It is small but not as luxurious as you expect from such a hotel.
We stayed in a junior suite which was light and somehow spacious but cheaply/messy furnished. Small bathroom and no WiFi signal in the rooms !
The room/ bed should really have a mosquito net, the room is full with musquitos who can enter the room easily through different 'holes'.
Good food in the restaurant and nice and helpful staff. Excellent breakfast.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2015

During our visit of Chiapas, I recently stayed with my partner at Quinta Chanabnal. The hotel looks like a real palace of a Mayan king! I was amazed to see such well-constructed recreation of ancient Mayan buildings. There are lots of sculptures and hieroglyphs all around!!! I am an artist and paint a lot, so it was wonderful place to get some inspiration for my future works. Raphael, the owner, was very kind to me describing all those tricks about Mayan culture and writing. He can read those glyphs that local Indians used to record their histories! Amazing! The food in the restaurant is just fabulous, I tried rabbit and some local dishes I don't remember the names since they were in Mayan. I have plans to come back to this wonderful place again!

Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
3  Thank George P
Reviewed 18 February 2015

My husband and I recently spent three long nights in this hotel. It is built in a traditional pre-Hispanic style, very open to the elements which brings into question the problem of security as the whole area is surrounded by army and police barricades! We had to get up very early one morning and found just one security chap asleep in the main dining/reception area.
Our room was very large, damp and cold without a shred of comfort. The bathroom was of a similar size with a shower at one end that had a weak flow of water that took ages to heat. At the other end was an open toilet that you were unable to flush paper down - fair enough we were in the middle of a jungle but you had to deposit the paper into an open plastic bin!!!!
The cuisine is very good and there was a good selection of traditional dishes to choose from but the dining room is also very chilly - some folk turned up to breakfast in thick jackets!! Staff are very accommodating although English isn't an easy language for some to understand - but fair enough this is Mexico.
this is not a hotel that I would ever choose to return to and there

Room tip: Stay at another hotel!!!
Date of stay: January 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank Colliedog58
Reviewed 14 February 2015

The hotel is built like a new style Mayan Hazienda located in a beautiful garden with anown lake and a small swimming pool. It only has 8 rooms and the ones we were in were huge. The rooms are almost too big and hence they lack a little bit charme. The owner is a very nice host and ensures that everything works. The receptionist Kim is very efficient. However, if they are not around the service drops dramatically. Also, the cappucino was just awful - dear Raphael as an Italien I only can recommend that you teach your staff how to do a proper Italien cappucino.
The dinner was very, very nice.

Date of stay: February 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Go100go
Reviewed 2 February 2015

We arrived in Palenque after driving for 6+ hours from San Cristobal de las Casas. What a wonderful surprise the hotel was for us as well as our friends. The hotel is truly a mayan palace with attention to the smallest detail. I fell in love with the locally made furniture. The suite was superbly furnished and included a patio as well as a sitting area inside the room. We had splendid meals for both breakfast and dinner. The owner, Raphael, was a gracious host and a wealth of information about the Mayan culture as well as Mexico. Our only regret was that we were not able to stay more time. However, in our future trips, we will definitely include this little gem on our itinerary.

Date of stay: December 2014