All reviews the pub lands end crab soup specials board great beer st austell brewery quiz night coastal path sunday carvery minack theatre stunning location an evening meal overlooking the beach lovely food fabulous views out of season sea view
Reviewed 7 December 2017

Fabulous location. Right by the beach. Hard to beat for a relaxing get-away. The new manager is making huge efforts to improve the building, the business and the whole customer-experience. Her attitude is first-class and her staff are friendly, welcoming and relaxed. Right now, I'm rating The Old Success Inn as a four-star (very good). Next time we visit, I'm sure it will get a five-star.

Superior suite was comfortable, with large en-suite and top-class sea views. The bar area was welcoming and relaxed and all the food we had in a three-day stay was delicious. Best thing: the views. Next best thing: staff were great. Other good thing: if you're not happy about anything at all, just say so, and they will be delighted to make it perfect for you. LOVE that attitude!

Room tip: Superior suite is worth it for the GREAT sea views!
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank RGGangle
StAustellManagement, Manager at Old Success Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Thank you for leaving these kind comments. We really appreciate the time you have taken to write this. We hope to see you back here again soon!

Reviewed 15 November 2017

Stayed locally and chose here to meet up with family for a meal in October.
Arrived about seven and found a table, the bar was not overly busy and the restaurant was empty.
There were numerous members of staff to hand.
We ordered our meals and waited and waited ,the choices wernt complicated ie one gluten free burger ,one normal ,one portion of ribs and a "Turkey curry" after a significant wait ,40 mins one of the bar staff arrived to advise that the gluten free option wasn't in fact suitable for celiacs because the burger contains wheat? It says so on the packet?
For us this wasn't a major issue in itself ,as were not majourly gluten intolerant and another option was chosen to speed the process up! However if a menu states something why on earth is it to difficult to provide?
Sadly when the meal did arrive the dissapointment continued.
The burgers had the texture of a barbecue briquet and the "Turkey " curry was an uninspiring offering of white " meat" cubes in a tomato salsa served with cold rice.
There was no follow up food check during our meal or when we paid.
Given the location and general food offerings from St Austell inns this was a shameful demonstration poor food and lackluster service.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank pastyman24
StAustellManagement, Manager at Old Success Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback,
We are very sorry that you didn't enjoy your experience with us.
We have informed all staff about the issues you have raised and will apply training where is needed.We can confirm that our burgers come from a local supplier and are not from a packet. All our food is locally sourced where possible and very good quality. We can only apologise and hope that you return again to give us another chance to show you what our usual high standard are, Your custom is greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

Lovely hotel food and outstanding location. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was the best ive had for a while. Car parking worked out nicely as well. Will definitely return. Visited porthcurno, st michaels mount, st ives and prussia cove Then returned and walked the beach again. Heaven.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
StAustellManagement, Manager at Old Success Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2017

Many thanks Keith for your 5* review, we are pleased that you made the most of your visit to us, and that our breakfast was a good way to start the day. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 9 November 2017

I Visited the Old Success Inn with my family for lunch. We all had fish, chips and mushy peas with home made tartare sauce for lunch. the service and food was great. The staff were extremely friendly and also let us in to the pub with our 4 dogs. I would recommend the Korev beer too, light and great with fish and chips.

it was very quiet as it was the end of October and this was the first time I have ever actually been able to get into the pub as it is extremely popular in the Summer.

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
StAustellManagement, Manager at Old Success Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Wow, thank you for your 5* review, we are pleased that you all enjoyed your fish and chips, and matched it with our Korev lager! We do hope you will all return again soon.

Reviewed 4 November 2017

I have been going to The Old Success on and off for decades, since Charlie actually stood at the bar and seen its various reinventions but it's a pub that never seems to know what it is. The 2 stars are for the food as that was nice although on speaking to friends since I must have been lucky. I went earlier this year and had a lovely lunch with happy, friendly staff and had planned a return visit to meet up with a friend I hadn't seen for over 20 years and one of the last times we saw each other was in that pub. There was no friendly greeting, the atmosphere was just the people talking at their tables and the bar staff although polite could hardly muster a smile, I asked if I would have to sit in the restaurant to have food and to be honest I didn't even hear the mumbled reply so I just grabbed a table in the bar that just became free. After a short while I realised no one was going to clear the table so I took up the glasses and asked for a cloth, the young man did come and clean the table and was very polite. My friends arrived we had drinks, we ordered some food and it arrived fairly quickly and it was good, we weren't asked if everything was ok during the meal or did we need anything else. There were no attentive staff. The pub started to empty fairly early as I think the majority of people there were of a certain age who wanted some food in the famous pub in Sennen Cove. It got to the point where you can sense the staff want you to leave, so we did. We said thank you and goodbye and were completely ignored. Maybe it was an off night but the current reincarnation doesn't seem to know who their market is and have no idea about the warmth of a smile and some chit chat, the lady who seemed to be in charge just looked bored the whole night and this seemed to set the tone for the rest of the staff. The pub will get customers because it's the Old Success and is in a fabulous setting, but people skills need to greatly improve for it to sustain those customers. For a while at least I don't think I will spend 40 minutes driving there to be made to feel like that again anytime soon.

Date of stay: November 2017