“Great food in a lovely landscape”

Restaurante Los Pirineos
Reviewed 26 July 2017

If surroundings enhance your meal, then this is a good place to eat. Beautiful views of the mountains from the terrace or behind glass. The food is served in an attractive way too. Good range of dishes, although vegetarian is limited, and very friendly staff. Lunch for two, without wine but with soft drinks, was around 35 euros. The restaurant is good for couples, family, friends, business or solo. It is not open every day, so check before going. Alfarnatejo is a very pretty town and pleasant to walk around, but parking can be tricky.

Reviewed 16 April 2017

Great range of meat and fish dishes. We've been here twice this week, first had the menu of the day and they were all fab (had four different ones between us). Today returned for the a la carte and again it was really good. The place was buzzing, all tables full and a fab atmosphere. The staff don't speak English but thankfully one of our is proficient in a Spanish, but I don't think it would have deterred from our enjoyment if they hadn't been able to.

Reviewed 16 February 2017

Enjoyable meal served in a warm & friendly atmosphere.
Reasonably priced. Menu provided a variety of Spanish entrees that would satisfy any palate.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

Fantastic food and got pretty busy with a nice atmosphere early afternoon.

No English spoken, but staff so patient it didn't matter.

Reviewed 27 July 2016

I did the very first review of this restaurant two years ago but I think it needs an update. My wife and I have returned many times since that review and our opinion of Pirineos has improved.

In my first review I mentioned the menu del dia, which is excellent value, but the a la carte menu, which is a traditional one for these parts (Quite meat orientated) delivers great quality too. Do not confuse this with 'fine dining.' This is typical non coastal Andalucian food. The terrace, which in the summer has a sensational view and has to be seen to be believed, is not always available during other times of the year. If you come during Easter you will probably have to eat inside. It seems to be open most of the year and that is a great bonus. The great Venta Alfarnate in the next town is closed during July and this a wonderful alternative. I should mention that during a national holiday it gets busy and overstretched. You may need to reserve a table and be patient regarding service.

The first thing I do when I arrive in Malaga is to drive up here in the mountains with my wife and escape the madness of the Costa. It takes no more than 45 minutes from the airport and the drive is sensational. I think the drive from Velez Malaga is possibly even better. These places in the mountains are good for the soul. The drive alone makes you forget about the crazy world you left behind. Highly recommended.