“Underwhelming”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cutthorpe
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: We are a proudly independent gastro style pub selling freshly cooked food from fine dining to classic British dishes. Real ales are a passion here and we usually have four local beers to choose from.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We hadn't been to The Peacock for some time, as we were disappointed the last time we went. However, friends suggested meeting up there to a meal and we readily agreed. The place has a good atmosphere and great decor and on a cold night a log fire was burning in the grate. We were handed the menu and quite honestly we were all underwhelmed and from the choice available were at a loss at what to choose - as the the lamb shank shepherds pie was "off". So two chose sausage & mash and two chose from the special menu, cod loin at approx £18. I mention the price because when it came it was very small and apparently came with one small potato cut in half! Which didn't go down very well with my reasonably large husband! To be fair it came with a selection of green vegetables, which our sausage & mash, which was OK, did not. TBH the two who had the cod were still hungry after eating their meal. We friends had a good evening reminiscing, but disappointing as far as the food was concerned.

We probably will chose another restaurant to meet up in the future.

5  Thank SheffieldPip
Peacock I, General Manager at The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Reading this sort of review always upsets my team. As you can see from our many positive reviews we don't underwhelm or disappoint very often. It seems strange that this review has only just appeared as the cod loin dish has been long gone. I apologise if there was nothing suitable on the menu for you and the cod loin dish wasn't what you were expecting but we do try to make sure there is something for everyone. Dishes do sell out occasionally, again apologies for that as well. It sounds like you enjoyed our warm comfortable surroundings which is lovely to hear.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

We called in at lunchtime on Saturday of the Easter weekend. The inn was busy but we got a friendly welcome and a nice table near the bar. The place is dog-friendly so we had plenty of enjoyable canine company while we made our order. We were delighted by the top quality food with plenty of vegetarian and GF choices. The olive oil and chocolate cake dessert was particularly good. It was our first visit but definitely not our last!

Peacock I, General Manager at The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Thank you very much for your super review. Easter weekend was very busy. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your visit. Dogs are allowed in certain areas and we certainly have had a few canine visitors. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

An absolutely amazing food experience. Couldn't get to where we had booked due to the snow so called at the Peacock on the off chance. So glad we did, the food service and ambience was fantastic. I had the linguine and my partner had the monk fish scampi all so beautifully cooked and portion size just right. I would definitely recommend to visit this place and will definitely be back soon.

1  Thank RJCSheffield
Peacock I, General Manager at The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2018

Thank you, what a great review. The snow has caused lots of problems. I'm glad we managed to accommodate you and that you enjoyed your meals. Thank you for the recommendation and we will see you again soon, hopefully without any snow.

Reviewed 11 March 2018

This was our first time at this restaurant. Five of us had lunch and we all enjoyed our meals. A simple menu but with sufficient choice for everyone to have a good meal. We had starters, mains and puddings with drinks and it cost £180 - very good value for money! We will certainly return.

1  Thank Jim F
Peacock I, General Manager at The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Jim F, Thank you for your super review. Obviously being mothering Sunday we were very busy so having a massive menu can cause issues. I'm really happy you all enjoyed your meal and for 5 of you with 3 courses and drinks I would agree with your very good value comment. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

The starters where ok the Sunday roast was very nice and so where the puddings so over all a nice meal with excellent service

Peacock I, General Manager at The Peacock Inn Cutthorpe, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Thank you for your review. A nice meal with excellent service. Spot on.
See you again soon.