All reviews la vella the hotel staff piece of heaven exceptional hotel wedding planner local produce service was impeccable farga salvador forest details marti decoration nature setting paradise retreat
Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Stayed for 2 days with my children.
The room was big with great balcony with view to the pool & the forest.
There are stairs in the room for the children beds so check before if this suitable for you.
There is a nice pool with a view to the forest.
Jogging in the forest is amazing.
Highly recommended.
I recommend to eat lunch & dinner at the restaurant of the hotel since other places in the city are pretty poor quality.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Martí A, Propietario at Hotel La Vella Farga, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Thanks for your kindly comment. It was a pleasure to attend you. We're waiting for your next stay, family!

Reviewed 27 July 2018

We happened on La Vella Farga, around lunchtime, having no previous knowledge of it. Many thanks to Laura Torra for showing us round and making us so welcome. We would definitely come here to stay on another occasion.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

We remembered you, nice couple! We're waiting for your next stay! Thanks for your kindly comment, it was a pleasure to attend you.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

I stayed a week in this luxury boutique hotel as the venue for The Healthy Holiday Company's fitness week, called InSpa. This means that in addition to the hotel staff, we also had our own chef to prepare food for our detox diet (no dairy, caffeine, salt, sugar) so I didn't experience the hotel's food.

The hotel has been beautifully converted from an 11th century farmhouse 3 years ago. My room was on the second floor and was roomy enough to include a super king sized bed, a couple of King Louis style chairs, a double sofa as well as a wardrobe and solid set of drawers. Double doors lead onto a roomy balcony with views over the surrounding farm and woodlands. Before I left I checked out some of the other rooms and they were as luxurious or even better than the one I'd had.

The ensuite bathroom was beautiful and included a hairdryer (had to keep a button depressed to use it), a free standing bath, a shower, and sink. The bath towels were a decent size which is always nice and they provided slippers and dressing gown. Sadly, during my week here there was a rather unpleasant ‘drain’ smell wafting through the bedroom from the bathroom despite the lovely hotel staff’s best efforts to remedy. The drain issue was also responsible for the flooding every time I took a shower (not ideal on a fitness holiday). I think this is due to a combination of poor design as well as drain blockages. One of the showers squirts directly out the door at chest height; there is no shower tray which lovely in theory, means that a small buildup of water over the bottom glass door seal allows water to flood out onto the wooden floors of the bedroom beyond. Easily rectified but I’m aware that at least two other guests had a similar experience. Quite irritating over the course of an entire week.

The underfloor cooling system whilst brilliant in theory, really didn't seem to work at all. Several of us found the rooms stifling during our mid June stay. I asked several times for a fan for the room and was the only one of our group of 11 to get one, albeit just for the last night of our stay! A fan in each room would be a good investment! Although I did open the windows to bring in breeze, this also brought in the bugs and noise - particularly the heavy machinery that was working away on building a decent road into the hotel.

The only other criticism I have is that the owner tended to be around all the time and never smiled or gave us any sense of hospitality during the week until I engaged him directly on the day before we were leaving. It may have been that he didn't speak English (we didn't speak Spanish), but there was nothing welcoming about him and several of us noticed independently. I was told he designed the hotel himself and overall I think he did a marvellous job, but a smile can go a long way! That said, the other staff were absolutely lovely - English speakers or not.

I think this is a beautiful spot. Close to hiking and cycling and just an hour and a half beyond Barcelona airport. The woods and natural meadows were full of wild poppies, thyme, rosemary, camomile and other flowers. It wouldn't take much for me to give this a 5 star review, but 7 nights experiencing the same issues of overheating at night, smelly drains day and night in my room and consistent flooding really took the shine off what was a rather amazing retreat.

Room tip: Check drainage has been sorted and if so, all rooms on the 2nd floor beautiful.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 June 2018

We got lucky as there was no one in the hotel the night we stayed there. We had it all to ourselves. It's a gorgeous property, sort of in the middle of nowhere, and we had booked a room just because we wanted to break up our trip across country not because we were coming to a wedding or anything. Not knowing what to expect we were pleasantly surprised: gorgeous views, good food, lovely places to sit and relax and a wonderful swimming pool. There are also country walks nearby but one of our group went jogging and met an aggressive dog so do ask the staff before you go about which paths are best etc.

This is more a place to relax than anything else. Service was unhurried, not much help with suitcases etc and the wifi was a weak except for in the dining room. We arrived tired and dusty and not really in the mood for a welcome drink--more in the mode of let's get to our room please. But we chilled out and wished we were staying longer.

The staff said they do yoga retreats and weddings so my advice would be to come when it's not crowded if you can possibly help it.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

It really is a piece of heaven. The attention is marvellous, the environment is increfible, the house is awsome, the decoration is fascinating...We will keep this place in our memories forever.

We ordered the dinner in our room and it was fantastic too. And the breakfast was wonderfull as well.

Thank you!