15,471 results
All reviews lobster house lazy river chez isabelle martini bar the grill flavor market sol bar barcelona restaurant club pool room service our honeymoon las olas french restaurant club level michael jackson show swim up room rooftop terrace
Reviewed 15 April 2018

From the moment we arrived, we knew we made the right choice spending our week with the Excellence group. The level of hospitality is unmatched and we’ve visited many islands and resorts. The grounds were immaculate and each stafff member was friendlier and more accommodating than the next. We visited Excellence Playa Mujeres several years ago and enjoyed every second there as well. Although they are very similar, we prefer Riviera Cancun.

Highlights:
- German was our waiter at the pool all week except on his one day off. (We sat at the same location each day.) He went above and beyond to see to it that we were well taken care of. He added a personal touch which is what’s missing from many places. He is a major reason we will return. Every single waiter/waitress was fantastic. Although not required, we made it a priority to tip generously as the service went above and beyond.
- The cafe’ in the hotel lobby has wonderful coffee and snacks as well as wonderful baristas.
- We went to the Asian and French restaurants twice. We loved the breakfast buffet as well.
- Most of the evening entertainment was wonderful! We especially enjoyed the acrobats and DJ party.
- The room was modern and sparkling clean. The air conditioning worked great and the water pressure was great. The housekeepers do a great job.

Wishlist:
- Men are required to wear pants for most dinners. Dress shorts and a collared shirt with close toe shoes would be appreciated. It certainly won’t stop us from returning.

We had a fantastic time!!! We plan to return next year. The amazing staff, grounds, and weather won us over!

Thank you Excellence!

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gratefuleveryday
Reviewed 15 April 2018

I have written a few reviews on this resort....so not much more to say. They are very consistent with their offerings. No surprises and still a great place to go and relax.
We went for 7 days in mid- March. Weather was amazing, not a drop of rain.
Hotel staff remembered us from previous visits, so were treated like family coming home.
Want to mention a few of the awesome staff that made our trip memorable once again.
Leonore - our pool server...what a sweetheart! She would always take the time to have a quick chat before she had to get back to work. Hope to see her again, when we come back!
Benjamin our server in Spice- he went out of his way to make our evening more enjoyable than we could imagine.
Rogelio (concierge) and his team including Ferdinand (I think that is how you spell it) went over an above to make our trip as great as possible.
And of course Sara from guest services who arranged the best meal for us in the wine cellar.
From the champagne welcome to the beautiful flower arrangement in our room to the friendly greetings from all of the staff on the property...its a must go to resort!
We will be back, either August or November.
For everything they do to make our holiday special...we will be back
Thank you again ! :)

Room tip: We always pick a room that faces the pool. Less wind on the balcony.
4  Thank JoycenDonny
Reviewed 15 April 2018

We have vacationed on the Riviera Maya for many years and I did a lot of research to find our next destination. So thanks to all previous reviewers from ERC travelers for all the information!
In general, we enjoyed our vacation. We booked Excellence Club level because we travel to the Mexican Caribbean to see the beach and ocean the hear the waves. We requested a high floor in building 8 and got just that. Awesome view with a nice terrace where we could enjoy the sunrise with a cup of espresso each morning. Housekeeping was great. Mini-fridge was well stocked. Bathroom was perfect with fluffy towels and Bulgari toiletries.
Loved floating around the lazy river a few times! Spa was great. We had an awesome couples massage and each got a second massage also. I did the Hydrotherapy circuit (with Nava- Gracias Senor!) and I was glad I did it, but was pleased that it was included because I might not put myself through that if I had to pay for it. No really, do it. ;-) ;-)
For the most part we enjoyed all the restaurants and the service in all of them. Our favorites were Agave and Basmati. The Lobster House was wonderful for an outdoor breakfast / lunch and dinner there was just great with lobster (not Maine, but small) and lobster risotto. All the service staff were wonderful. A few mentions: Juan at Lobster House, Marcos and Samuel at the breakfast buffet, and Amable on the EC beach.
Ok, so why only 3 stars?
Three reasons:
1) The main pool was party central with loud speaks and megaphones and games. We tried lunch at the Grill one day, but since it overlooked the party pool, it was not pleasant.
2) The EC pool has only about 10 spots (that face toward the swim-up rooms) and all were claimed by 7 am (I am not kidding that I saw someone sitting out there at 5:45 am). But, actually we did enjoy the beach, despite Mother Nature's seaweed issue.
3) I have Celiac Disease and have to be strictly gluten free. I booked the EC because I emailed in advance and thought they understood that (received a confirmation from Sara Castellanos). All the restaurants were great regarding GF, btw (even the buffet had some GF markings), but not so much the Excellence Club.
- The EC lounge has snacks all day (little plates of salads, pastries, sandwiches) and I asked the first day if there was something gluten free and they said no but give us a few minutes.... 45 minutes later there was a dry sandwich with ham and cheese (from 7-11?). The manager told me that they would have something for me the rest of the week in the afternoon, but no. One day I did request a few pieces of cheese and 30 min later got a whole platter of cheese, so whatever. Why go the EC lounge, you ask? It's really an oasis of cool AC with drinks, including higher end wine than they have at the restaurants, which is why we went.
- One cool perk of the EC is the little platter of mini cakes/cookies/candies you get in your room at night. We were there for 6 nights. Night 1: platter of sweets that I could not eat. I put a note on them saying "Sin gluten, por favor!". Night 2: platter of sweets I could not eat. Night 3: we were in the room when the guy delivered the sweets and I talked to him and he said 'no problem, give me a day or two'. Night 4: nothing. Night 5: found a plate of yummy treats! Called room service: 'are these gluten free (big smile)? answer: not gluten free. click (sad face). But about 45 minutes later we received a plate of GF treats (chocolate covered strawberries, chocolate truffle, etc...Yay!) Night 6: nothing. Sigh.... story of my life.
I guess I was just hoping that the EC would come through for me. Making their guests feel special is what they strive for, right?
I would be happy to respond to any specific questions via tripadisor PM.
Pam

Date of stay: April 2018
3  Thank PamDon
Reviewed 15 April 2018

We've been vacationing in Mexico for almost 15 years. We've been to many different resorts, but never the same one twice, so this was our first time at the Cancun Excellence Resort. What else can we say but our stay was EXCELLENT! Pools are great. Food is really good - even the buffets. For the first time, we're planning our next vacation at the same resort. Staff is friendly and always ready to help. They want you to have a great vacation! If you can do it, stay in the Excellence Club. An upgrade that we think is definitely worth it. Also - give the spa a try. Very nice!

Room tip: Excellence Club - ocean view.
Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 15 April 2018

This was our 9th time at the Excellence Rivera and it was wonderful!
The front desk was most accommodating for our room requests again this year. The people here are incredible,just so warm and friendly. I would like to give special mention for Israel and the head Chef at the Agave Restaurant, (Forgive me, I lost the note with the chef's name on it), for creating not only a special dinner for my birthday, but a beautiful birthday treat, and special after dinner drink. It was so tasty we went back an additional night before we left. The manager there was very attentive as well, (her name also got lost on the trip home!) Daniel at the Oregano restaurant was also so amazing. He was there nearly every day for breakfast and lunch attending to our every need. We did try to find him before we left to give him a special thank you for his service to us but were sadly unable to connect with him. The resort is so clean and beautiful and the friendly staff are always working to keep it this way. I am amazed each visit with how much attention is given. It's just gorgeous. Our housekeeping staff was excellent as well. Each day the cute towel creatures and flowers were a fun surprise waiting for us in our room. The pools were clean and beautiful. The beach is always my favorite place. The beautiful sunrises there are just breathtaking. The only down side is the sargassum that has been washing up on the shore. The staff works very very hard to stay ahead of this, and keep the beach nice. I did not realize how early and how much work they are doing there. From raking the sand and making sure the chairs are level, to raking up the shoreline, the staff made sure the area was perfect. I was very happy to see also that the resort is attracting a more mature crowd, who are friendly and polite, but not looking to recreate spring break crazy times of their youth! (All those Girls Gone Wild types would fit in better in downtown Cancun). I want to thank everyone there at the Excellence for making our stay so wonderful. I actually did cry when I left. You are all amazing. Thank you all!

Room tip: If you request rooms on a higher level facing the pool or spa area, the rooms there are pretty quiet..
2  Thank BeachBaby328