We just came back from a week at Zoetry and all I can say is that I have some mixed emotions about the resort. It checked off most of the boxes with respect to criteria we were looking for but a couple small items would keep me from going back unless they were corrected.
For context, we are a mid-forties, long married, professional couple from Tennessee. We’ve been to Cancun many times and keep returning because it’s easy to get to via direct flight and usually offers good value for whatever resort quality you choose. We’ve been to the mega-resorts like the Moon Palace and Now Jade, but this time around we were prepared to sacrifice the amenities and dining options offered by the big resorts in favor of something more intimate. We didn’t want to be around the wedding parties, families or the heavy drinking Jersey Shores crowd that places like the Moon Palace attract. We looked at the adults-only resorts such as Sandals and decided that the legions of smooching, gushing newlyweds at this time of year `didn’t appeal either. Hence, we chose to try Zoetry.
Zoetry is not adults-only, but they don’t cater to kids so we only saw three the whole trip and rarely at the pool. The demographics were definitely what we were looking for. It was a complete mix. Young couples, older couples, gay couples: some honeymooners, but most not. The majority were from the US and Canada with a few Germans and Mexicans. It was simply a nice place to relax and unwind. If you’re looking to party; definitely look elsewhere.
Personally, I think the 5-star rating is a stretch. It may have been at one time, but they’ve let things slip. For instance, the pool needs repair and they’ve been trying to accomplish it, but very slowly by the looks of it. As such, the spill-over pool has been drained six inches to allow tile repair, but the diminished filtration and surface skimming that comes with the lower water level left the pool somewhat dirty and murky; a definite turn off. The grounds are beautiful and have been well maintained but some of the walks and buildings need cosmetic attention. None of the issues by themselves are glaring but put together does not pass the 5-star test IMHO.
At first glance, the rooms are large, attractive and well-appointed but after scrutiny, I found the fixtures and furniture to be a bit cheap. Not a deal breaker but not 5-star either. The true deal breaker for me with the rooms are the beds…it is quite literally like sleeping on a park bench. They are absolutely hard as a rock and so uncomfortable that I had considered stealing lounge covers from the pool to sleep on. The toppers they allegedly put on were useless. We were here to unwind and neither my wife nor I had a good night’s sleep the whole week.
However, what is truly 5-star about this resort is the staff. I swear that there was more staff than guests during our stay. They were friendly, gracious, polite and would bend over backwards to make us happy. They picked us up and dropped us off at the airport, offering a moist towel and cold drinks. Antonio and his crew around the pool set up our loungers, made sure our umbrellas were shading us and ensured we weren’t parched. Maria, Caesar and Louis at Kaax truly went out of their way. They always had our favorite table ready with all we liked, complete with a pillow bolster for my bad back. They even arranged a special entree and dessert from the kitchen. Jonas at Canoa also went out of his way. These are just a few names I remember. Bellman to barman…they were all great.
As for dining, I would have to say that the food is quite good for resort standards; more hits than misses on the menu. There isn’t a buffet to be seen. There are three dining venues, with one closed per night since the resort was far from full. Two had a special menu one night of the week. In all, there was enough variety to last a week without repetition. The people on this site who whine about the food really need to quit expecting cuisine from Food Network chefs at all-inclusive beach resorts. The food is definitely better than other resorts we’ve stayed at with this price point. These are likely the same people who complain about the small portions and slow service. The portions are small on purpose. The nutritional values on the menu should have given that away. The menu allows one to eat healthily if one choses to do so. They even have an ever-changing spa menu. They also expect you to order multiple courses. Most of the appetizers, soups and salads are delicious. We never left hungry once. As for slow service, it’s definitely not the express lunch at Applebee’s! But why would anyone want that? There’s not much else to do at this resort, which is the whole point. Relax, and enjoy the company of your dining companion. Go elsewhere if you like to graze the buffet to cut the time it takes to get to the bar for triple shots.
My only other gripes are the beach and the bugs. I knew about the beach going in, but it was actually worse than I anticipated. The water is very murky and completely choked with seaweed. I never went in, even though I love to swim in the ocean. They do a good job of cleaning up the seaweed on the beach though. If you love the beach and ocean, opt for Maroma Beach or Cancun strip. Next, we both got bitten extensively, especially at the casual outdoor restaurant. My wife got it worst with more than 40 welts all over. It may just be a seasonal thing and we did forget to bring repellant.
My summary is simple. If you like relaxed and quiet with good food and exception service…and also don’t mind sleeping on what feels like a sheet of plywood…then definitely add Zoetry to your list. I just couldn’t justify the beds again, at any price, which truly is a shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, an ultra-luxury boutique resort, offers a completely new kind of vacation experience focused on wellness, serenity and romance, as well as social and environmental responsibility. Set on 500 yards of beautiful beach, this exceptionally unique property features 90 beachfront suites; La Canoa, a AAA Four Diamond award-winning restaurant; the first certified Thalassotherapy Center in North America;in-house scuba diving center, a private 48 ft. Catamaran. Zoetry Paraiso de la Bonita, one of the Leading Hotels of the World, has also earned the AAA Five Diamond Award for 13 consecutive years. Each of the 90 lavish oceanfront suites is uniquely decorated with hand-picked treasures from around the world and feature private ocean front view terraces, Bvlgari® bath amenities, fine luxury linens, sparkling wine and fresh fruit daily, 24-hour private, in-room dining, maid service three times each day and a welcome bottle of Tequila. For an added measure of intimacy and romance, a selection of suites also offer access to private terrace plunge pools and outdoor honeymoon showers. Endless Privileges® provide guests limitless access to personalized, private chauffeured airport transfers; unlimited worldwide calls and concierge service; daily breakfast, lunch and dinner gourmet dining options with an assortment of organic, local and gluten-free food and beverage selections plus 24-hour dining options allow guests to enjoy late night bites at Restaurant Kaax or stay in and order room service. The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience provides 60 more dining and entertainment venues at nearby sister resorts; complimentary cocktails and specialty beverages from a variety of domestic and international top-shelf brands and top-shelf spirits; sunset catamaran sail; shopping excursions by boat; complimentary 24-hour laundry service; relaxing 20 minute Thalasso Experience per guest; as well as complimentary greens fees at nearby Grand Coral Riviera Maya. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Expedia, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Paraiso De La Bonita
- Paraiso Bonita
- Zoetry Paraiso De La Bonita Riviera Maya, Mexico