“Honeymoon Trip”

Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We went on our honeymoon May 20th-25th and truly enjoyed our stay here.

We booked the ocean front room in advance so we were preferred members from the get go. When we arrived, we were immediately taken to the preferred lounge (drinks and towels in hand) which is air conditioned. They offered us drinks and had light snacks, liquors, and computers for us to use. We checked in and were given a map and since we had some time to kill we went to lunch at the buffet. After an hour, we went back to the lounge where someone escorted us to our room (building 5).

Our room was a first floor ocean front room with a jacuzzi tub on the balcony. We also had a "honeymoon" banner on our door! We got the king size bed we reserved, and our champagne and fruit plate was served within the hour. Having the ocean front room is definitely worth the extra money. Also, shop around weeks because we looked into a regular room and it was around $2500 for the week after our wedding, but two weeks after the wedding the ocean front room was $2300 -- so we felt like it was fairly priced. Being able to walk out the balcony onto the ocean was very nice.

Our trip was great and we left very relaxed.

Tips about your trip:
- BRING SUNSCREEN. This had been provided to us in the past at other resorts, but not this one. To prevent burning, sunscreen is a must.
- shop around weeks if your dates are flexible, this can change the pricing
- Preferred all the way- having access to the lounge is nice, as well as the pool and pool bar. Service is much better at the preferred pool and bar than anywhere else.

Pros:
- Great breakfast buffet
- Fresh fruit
- Ocean front views
- Nice service (bring cash to tip if possible)
- 15-20 minutes from the airport (VERY Nice)
- variety of food

Cons:
- no sunscreen, minimal toiletries provided
- housekeeping was average, they did not do anything special (only one towel swan upon arrival) and took our robes away before we checked out so we did not have them our last day :(
- if you do not get to the restaurants when they first open, be prepared to wait at least 45 minutes at all of them except the buffet
- large groups of people can be annoying (not the resorts fault)

*** Romantic Dinner ***

We wanted to do this, but could not fathom spending $180. We used $60 in coupons and spent one morning (from 8:00-10:45) at the "presentation" which gave us another $100 to use. The presentation was not 90 minutes as they claimed, but longer with travel time and eating with the stranger. We were pushed HARD, but we had no money! Maybe we should have began with, "hey, we just need the $100 for dinner. not interested in a time share" However, we knew what we were getting in to so it did not bother us.

About the dinner itself- great service. Romantic. Nice. Sand did not get all over our food which I feared, but it was windy and being on the beach made it a little chilly. If you go in 75-85 degree weather you may want to bring a light jacket or sweater. The food is great and you cannot get it anywhere else on the resort. It was plated well and tasted very yummy. It was worth the $20, but I would not pay full price for it.

Hint- if you want it to truly feel private, go on a night the bluewater grill is closed. The tables are set up right below this restaurant and even with your backs turned to them it still feels like they look down and stare at you while you are eating.

Room Tip: Buildings 5 and 6 are furthest away from the main bar on the beach- so you get less people out front...
2  Thank kate408
Write a ReviewReviews (7,711)

Reviewed 28 May 2012

My boyfriend and I travelled to Now Sapphire for a vacation getaway, and chose the NS after much research. I have been to many all inclusives, and this is my forth time to the Riviera Maya area.
We booked a Tropical view NON preferred junior suite. After much discussion back and forth, we chose to try and upgrade to preferred upon arrival. To upgrade was going to be almost $800 more dollars and we were told that we could always add on the preferred services later in our stay if we chose. We decided to not go preferred at all....saved us a TON of money, and did NOT feel like we missed out on anything! Room service (though only slightly limited menu in comparison to preferred) is available to all guests, not just preferred, and the resort is small, so even in building 7 we were a 2 minute walk from everything. With the money we saved going nonpreferred, we got spa treatments (highly recommend with the hydrotherapy...awesome!), did two excursions, a beach dinner, and still had money left over from what it would have cost us to upgrade. A lot of reviews said they had top shelf liquor in the preferred lounge (which was an air conditioned room with no view of ocean or pool), but all the bars a pretty good midgrade selection of alcohol available (i.e...Stoli and Absolut vodka, jack Daniels, Johnnie walker red label, Bacardi rum, etc.). Additionally, another reason to not go preferred...if you tip anyone, they are willing to go the extra mile to do anything that you could probably get with preferred. The resort was at about 65% capacity when we were there, so not sure if we would have seen more of a difference between preferred/non-preferred at full capacity. We thought the food was excellent...blue water grill was beautiful, as was the romantic dinner on the beach :)
If you are looking for an awesome swimming beach...this is not the resort. We are beach lovers, and while it was beautiful to look at, there was more seaweed (so much that you couldn't see your feet at all at any depth directly off the beach) than I have ever experienced in this area. It is a large reef offshore, and a couple of days of storms, so that may have contributed. There were no palm trees on the beach either, which, was a little disappointing, but overall okay :) We enjoyed the pool bar and the services of Josue and Roberto a lot :)
The walk down to Puerto Morelos is defintily worth it...we did it in the pouring down rain, which only added to the adventure. Once we got there (about a 45 minute walk along the beach) we were treated to the coldest and most refreshing Coronas we had all week, at a beach bar down there called La Pescana I think.
Overall, this is a beautiful resort, for nonpreferred priced appropriately, close to the airport (only about 20 minutes), very friendly staff, great food, fabulous drinks! Tipping a few dollars goes a long way. Would definitely return to this resort, but first would try another one in the area with a beach more to our taste. Definitely recommend!

Room Tip: room 737 was a corner room tropical view, but did have a small view of the ocean :) take ear plugs...
7  Thank caseyrn
Reviewed 27 May 2012

This review might sound nit-picky but I just want anyone who reads this to know that if they are expecting a super nice, classy, highest possible rated resort they will be disappointed. I booked this trip through Apple Vacations and this resort was rated with 6 golden apples, meaning it is supposed to be fantastic. Unfortunately, I did not find this resort to be worthy of that rating. It was nice enough, but for a top notch rating I expected not only the major things to be nice but the little things as well.
The beach: Obviously the resort is not responsible for the ocean conditions, but it would have been nice to know that the water is full of seaweed which washes up on the beach and is just gross. I was told that there had just been several days of bad weather before my husband and I got there so I thought maybe that was the reason for all of the seaweed but that is not what our Apple Vacations rep told us. He said that this is just the way it is in the area. From far away the water is beautiful shades of blue but up close it kind of looks like dirty lake water. If you are expecting and wanting Cancun-like water you should go to Cancun.
The pool: The pool was great!! It is huge with plenty of chairs and even chairs built into the water. Not a lot of rafts available but that's ok.
The food/restaurants: Not so great. As I understand it most all inclusive deals don't give you the best food but my husband and I didn't starve. Some of the plates had huge chips in them. Is this a huge problem, no, just not what I would expect from a resort with the highest rating.
The resort: Again, from far away things looked great. When you get up close to things you notice the problems. I have to say that the problems were all pretty minor, just not what I would expect from a top rated resort. For example, our room had several areas on the walls or ceiling that had been patched. The patching was done poorly and one of the spots had not even been painted over to match the rest of the ceiling. The floor is marble and had a grimy film on it. I get that we were in an oceanfront room but it really just felt like the floor hadn't been mopped. During our time there we talked with other people (all different age groups) and some of them thought the resort was great and couldn't have asked for anything more and others felt the way my husband and I felt. I really think it's all about where you have traveled and what accommodations you are used to.
I will say that everyone was very nice at the resort. We were able to upgrade easily and get into our room immediately, even though we arrived a couple hours before check-in.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I just returned home from our trip from the Now Sapphire resort in Puerto Morelos, where we celebrated our anniversary. I read several of the reviews that other travelers posted but took them all with a grain of salt, knowing that everyone has different tastes and experiences which affects their judgement.

I will begin by saying that I have traveled to Mexico before, so I did have another experience to compare this one to, which I learned is not always a good thing. We spent our honeymoon at a Palace resort in Riviera Maya and in comparing that trip to this latest one, I learned that not all resorts are created equal, even if they have been given the same Apple rating.

To begin, this resort does not cater well to younger couples or those celebrating special occasions. We were suppose to receive some extra perks for our anniversary, but they failed to recognize it at all even though our Apple rep did make mention of it on our reservation. Honestly though, we didn't dwell on this at all. So they forgot, oh well! The biggest thing that turned us off was that this resort did not seem to be "all-inclusive", there always seemed to be a catch. For example, if we wanted to sit outside at one of the nice restaurants, we had to buy a bottle of expensive wine. Also, even though we received enough money in hotel credits as part of our promotion to both get a free massage, the hotel did not recognize this and instead gave us a coupon book we could use for the massage. The problem was, the coupon only covered half the cost of one massage, so we'd have to fork over around $200 to get a massage even though we received credits from the hotel for a free massage. This is something else we tried to look past. Bottom line, we felt management was always trying to get more money from us.

The service was okay. Again since I've been to Mexico before my only frame of reference is to compare it to the Palace resort we stayed at a few years back. For the most part everyone was very nice from the servers to the grounds crew. They all worked very hard to make sure the resort was well-maintained.

The amenities were mediocre in our opinion. The resort was much smaller than we expected and to us was more like a hotel complex than a resort. The grounds are pretty, don't get me wrong, but the resort is lacking in amenities.

The food was very good. Cibu is the Italian/Mediterranean option, Lemongrass serves Asian cuisine and Paramore serves French cuisine. The breakfast buffet provided many options and the Bluewater Grill was a great place to enjoy lunch outside on the deck. The only complaint I had here was that one restaurant was closed each night, which required us to plan ahead a little more. No big deal really.

The rooms were pretty nice. We stayed in building #4 (Ecab) with a tropical view. Upon arrival we were given a ground floor room with 2 double beds, which I have heard them doing to others. It took some persuasion to get what we actually booked and in the end they gave us the 2nd floor room in building #4, which was a great location.

One other point to mention is that the workout room is in rough shape. My husband and I are big on working out every day and were disappointed to find that most of the equipment was broken or not working and it was not air conditioned. We were told and read that the workout room was state-of-the-art, which definitely was not the case. I know this isn't one to dwell on but wanted to mention it just in case that's important to some people.

Overall, while we enjoyed our vacation, this resort did not meet our expectations. We feel it is overrated and should be rated as a red apple, 4.

Room Tip: Always ask for an upgrade! Buildings 1-4 are the best.
8  Thank Amy P
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 3 night stay at the Sapphire and we were very satisfied with our stay and may plan another trip back with our son next time. I'll do my best to summarize.

Preferred: We upgraded to preferred status for a few reasons. From what I read, the concierges were tremendously helpful, especially when reserving beach chairs, bali beds, etc. It is true... they take very good care of you. And I also chose the preferred status b/c I figured the overall experience would be better... and I believe it was. You are probably less likely to be told they are overbooked if you are spending more money on upgrades with them. Our booking was excellent. We arrived at 11am and were quickly escorted to the Preferred lounge, which is a nice lounge full of top shelf liquor and snacks. While you wait to be checked in a waiter is there to service you. We had a mimosa and some snacks before sitting down to check in. Be sure and print out your confirmations, that will be needed. Check in time is normally 3, but we got in at 1pm. Preferred guests also have the ability to upgrade to an oceanview room with a hot tub on the patio. We did that on nights 2 and 3. Do it. Worth the money : )

Service: Service was impeccable on every occasion. If you need something.. or need help, just ask.

Rooms: Rooms are spacious and nice. They are not perfect, but I've yet to find a resort with perfect rooms. It is not a 5 star resort, but the rooms are a good value. No complaints at all.

Food: We found the food to be rather good. We thought the buffets were nice... always had several items we enjoyed. We ate at Bluewater Grill a few times for lunch and were pleased, but had our best dinners at Paramour. It's an upscale restaurant with a dress code and a wine list. Yes, you pay for the bottles or glasses of wine and it shouldn't be a surprise as there are prices on the wine menu. If you're confused, just ask... there are no hidden agendas. The service, presentation and wine are better than the food.. but it certainly wasn't bad.

Beach: The beach is not really a beach where you spend a lot of time in the water. The beach is unsheltered and is quite choppy. We mostly lounged near the surf and sat at the beach bar. Yes, seaweed does wash in from the reef but they try to clean it several times a day, but it basically remains. It forms a strip of about 5' that lines the beach where the tide hits. It really wasn't a concern of ours. No biggie.... just be aware it's not really conducive to hanging out in the water much.

Location: about 15-20 minutes from the Cancun airport. Pefect. We used USA Transfers and had a perfect shuttle experience.

Amenities: We stayed at the preferred pool a lot. Adults only with nice palapas that you can lay in all day. Bars are throughout the resort. There is a kids area with ping pong tables, air hockey, kids pool, etc. Several restaurants to choose from. Nice tennis courts that we used twice.

Entertainment: We didn't really check it out. We stayed just outside the venue drinking our drinks from a quiet table and watched from afar. It appeared to be hit and miss... but we weren't really there for the shows.

If you visit with reasonable expectations, I believe you will have an excellent time at Sapphire. I would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to preferred. Get an ocean view room. Eat at Paramour at least once.
7  Thank chadblessing