All reviews kids club low season family hotel table tennis water slides kids buffet mini mart royal pool pool access room ping pong happy baby eat free great resort breakfast buffet thai food the ground floor young family
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Its a great facility. Huge rooms, 4 pools, right by the sea, tons of activities for kids of different age groups and even adults, enormous breakfast buffet etc etc. However a lot of the staff appear to be better suited to prison guard duty rather than service. They are quick to refuse service in a perfunctory manner, they are clock watchers and minute counters. In fact one was so bad I feel the need to mention him. The gentleman handing out towels by the pool. He sits in his little hut and waits for you to come and pay homage. I don't know if there's a labour union here but he is definitely the type and not in a good way.

Next, the food in the restaurant (Piak's Kitchen - the other was closed the whole time) is actually bad. Considering the expression that its actually difficult to have a bad meal in Thailand, this is saying a lot. Fortunately there's a little family run eatery across the road. Apart from breakfast we ate all our meals there (thats 80 meals over our stay, Sunwing - if you're counting, and we weren't the only ones). Paradoxically, the bottom rank of staff, the gatemen, gardeners, busboys (and girls), house-keeping maids and so on were always smiling and friendly. I see this so often in Asia unfortunately and its a clear sign of an underlying management issue.

Room tip: Just for safety in this Tsunami affected zone I always recommend at least the second floor.
2  Thank dyonysios
Edissa R, Communications Supervisor at Sunwing Bangtao Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Dear dyonysios,

Thank you for having stayed with us and for sharing your candid feedback.
As much as we were delighted you liked our facilities we at the same time felt regret
and sorry to hear you left disappointed with our service.

It is with feedback like yours we are able to grow. Thank you for sharing.
It will be a big help for us and I will definitely pass on and communicate your highlighted remarks
with the relevant departments. In a lighter vein, please be advised that we normally
close one of our restaurants during off-peak season. We are sorry for this inconvenience.
Please note though that the other on-site restaurant remains opened.

Once again thank you for staying with us. We hope that the positive views of your stay
will encourage you to come back here and give us another chance to be of service to you again.

Reviewed 27 July 2018

Stayed here with my husband and 2 kids, teen and toddler. They have a lot of swimming pools that accommodate both teens and toddlers and water slides. I love how they have a ton of activities for kids. There is a lot of KIDS! It is quite a ways from Patong and the nightlife so you do have your privacy. The beach isn't swimmable. Lots of big waves, but the pools did just fine. The rooms are very clean! Get out of the resort and explore the island though. It can be tempting to stay at the resort since they have a lot of amenities, but rent a car and drive around. I would highly recommend this resort and I will definitely stay here again! We really enjoyed our stay!

1  Thank 585kimberlyb
Edissa R, Communications Supervisor at Sunwing Bangtao Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2018

Dear kimberly b,

Thank you for writing us your rather enticing review about your recent stay at our property.
We are thrilled to read that your family had a great stay here and enjoyed what our resort has to offer - the kids activities in particular.

Indeed, we do have 7 swimming pools for both kids and adults - you can pick and choose your best spot and still enjoy swimming whenever the tide is high nor the red flag signs are up on the beach.

Thank you and we appreciate your kind recommendation of our place.

See you again here next time!

Reviewed 18 July 2018

What a great resort. Big comfortable rooms, great food with breakfast catering for every nationality, beautiful restaurant open to the beach. Clean lovely pools where the kids spent most of their time. The staff were ALL very friendly and helpful. A low pressure location, you have to seek out the markets. Good restaurants very close and moneychangers and minimarts closeby in multiple directions. Value for money in low season was outstanding. Furthermore, the meals that we had at night in the resort far exceeded our expectations, both western and Thai foods. We are planning a return in 3 years with 4 grandchildren rather than 2.

Room tip: I think all rooms were good
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Edissa R, Communications Supervisor at Sunwing Bangtao Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Dear gkidd,

Thank you for having you as one of our satisfied guests here.
It is always fulfilling to receive feedback like this.

We are delighted to hear that you liked our resort and
what it has to offer especially, the food.

We will surely share your encouraging feedback to the team.
Thank you again and we shall then anticipate your soon return.

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

I don’t always do reviews, but this time I really feel compelled to do one. I am so very impressed by this hotel. It has been so good. We are almost at the end of a 12 night stay and unfortunately leave in just a couple of days.

We always research our hotels pretty thoroughly and had booked this in through a deal. We read loads of reviews, google earthed and done a virtual google map walk around the neighbourhood etc. However, for the first time our thorough-ness let us down... we idiotically were looking at Sunwing Kamala Beach for all of this, and had actually booked Sunwing Bangtao! Didn’t realise until our transfer collected us that we had made a mistake!

As far as we could tell there isn’t a huge difference between the two and from talking to people a lot seem to prefer this one anyway.

We have probably had the BEST customer service out of all hotels here. We are fairly independent travellers and don’t usually ask for too much. However, nothing has been a problem. My husband had a tummy bug and was up sitting in the outdoor lounge area near reception at 2am so not to disturb the family while he wanted to be close to some toilets. It was pouring with rain and he asked for some water (he thought there might be some just in reception). No problem - someone immediately went out in the rain to some other location and gave him a bottle of water. Another night my son (also had a tummy bug) managed to get some vomit on the bed, my husband rang reception and in less than 60seconds housekeeping was at our room changing the bedsheets.

The lady that has been our main housekeeper has been awesome. Working around what we are doing and what the room needs.

Breakfast has been amazing. So many choices. All the food is delicious and managed to keep all the family members happy and satisfied.

So far we have only been to dinner at the hotel once. The food was good. The kids meals were pretty small but as they are included free with paying adults I can’t complain :) Also the lady serving us didn’t speak any English (not complaining though, we are in Thailand and I feel it’s rude to automatically assume that they can speak English) but even with sign language or changing how we described things she struggled and we just gave up (we wanted to know if the kids fish was fried, battered or crumbed - we incorrectly assumed it must be battered - it was pan fried, which meant our fussy kids wouldn’t touch it, we did though and it was very yum!) Our next two meals will be here so will get a better idea of the meals over our last two nights :)

My husband (in his 30’s) has had hip surgery and although would be fine with stairs it was much easier to be on the Ground floor. On arrival at the hotel we asked reception for a low or ground floor if possible. They gave us the option of having the 1st Floor room we were booked in to or if we were happy to wait 30mins we could have a G floor room. So glad we waited :) Ground floor rooms are so easy to come and go. Our daughter enjoyed the freedom of wandering to the Teen Lounge or MiniLand. We enjoyed having the pool just at our door step.

The room was ideal configuration for our family. We were a bit dubious about having just the one room for the 4 of us but we all slept well. Kids share a room at home so adjusted well and we just made ourselves settle down when the kids did with some low lighting and quiet phone or laptop time while the kids slept.

We had no problems with the room facilities. One time our toilet got blocked (I blame the kids). I called reception and shortly after went to the pool. By the time I came back it was all fixed. Fridge and freezer was big enough for the few supplies we accumulated. Plenty of cupboard and storage spaces for unpacking bags.

Pools were great and different options which suited all aged children. There isn’t a specific adult pool (I think the Kamala Beach Sunwing has one?) but I doubt it would have been hard to find a quiet area. Some times it was had to find a deck chair by the pool but usually could find one. Pools are a great temperature and the kids enjoyed the slide.

We didn’t have problems with insects or bugs etc. I got a few mosquito bites but they love me so it’s always expected :) The kids ate sticky ice blocks on the deck which like every where in the world attracted a lot of ants but didn’t have issues in the room.

There is great sea access straight from the hotel. You can even be on a hotel deck chair and be on the sand of the beach. The sea at this time of the year is too rough for swimming in front of the hotel but I notice just about 50m south the sea is a bit better and swimming is allowed there.

In the area there are some beach front restaurants. I liked The Beach Bar which is less than 100m south. Most Thai food options there are about 150 baht each. Also a market on Monday and Thursdays just a short walk East (just before Lotus Tesco).

We also got a taxi to Boat Avenue. Which was alright. Mostly slightly upmarket shops and a few restaurants but also some supermarkets (one local - cheaper - and one that specialises in imported food - more expensive).

Also recommend taking the family to an Elephant Sanctuary. We went to the Elephant Retirement Sanctuary, but there is also one next to it called Green Elephant Sanctuary. Both are very close, about 2km away. Also both are quite pricy but well worth it.

MiniLand and Teen Lounge are both good. There is no provided “childcare” and kids at MiniLand are suppose to have a parent supervising. Our kids like being independent and are good at knowing what they are and aren’t allowed to do etc so we have trusted them to go to by themselves. We figure if the kids are self sufficient and happy then it’s not a problem (hopefully?! Anyway no one has complained!). There are staff there but their job isn’t to babysit, it’s to facilitate activities and materials for the areas. There are some paid activities (2-3 a week) lasting about 1-2 hours which don’t need parent supervision. I was once with my son who is 5yrs and at the teen lounge hanging with me and his older sister and I was told (very politely) that he should be 8yrs old to be there - I had assumed that as he was with an adult it wouldn’t have been a problem. Anyway she didn’t say we needed to leave so we stayed for a while longer (he was partly through colouring in and it was raining). But we haven’t taken him to Teen Lounge since. I know that not having a “kids club” is hard for some families especially with younger kids but we were aware of that so didn’t have that expectation.

I tried out some of the fitness activities (core class and water aerobics) both were fun. The gym was great with some good quality treadmills and lots of good general equipment and machines.

Oh, finally the massages are brilliant. Well priced (from 300 baht/hr) which is the same as places outside the hotel. Really good massages too!

I hate writing only positive reviews, but really struggling to find any possible areas of improvement. I guess the only thing is some of the opening hours. I would love the gym be open at 6am rather than 7am and dinner to start earlier (5pm rather than 6pm) and everything (mini land, slide, towels, etc) closes down from 1pm-2pm. Not a huge problem and is well advertised but I guess could be seen as an inconvenience (wonder if its religious or a legal requirement?). But to be honest really none of these have been a problem! (And in some ways it keeps the kids interested if they know they have limited time etc). - Note as well we are visiting in off peak season so things might be different during peak season.

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Shalyse M
Edissa R, Communications Supervisor at Sunwing Bangtao Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2018

Dear ​Shalyse M,

It was a good read​​!

Lucky us for having your feedback as you affirmed you don't often do this and
so we highly appreciate.

It pleased us to hear that you were impressed with our hotel plus the second to none service-
though, your initial preference was our sister family resort in Kamala.
We concurred with your view that these family resorts indeed don't have much difference.
We are happy that we were able to accommodate you.

Furthermore, thank you again for your positive evaluation of our service!
We are delighted to learn that the team went out of their way
and did a good job assisting you with your needs especially,
when your husband and son were sick​ - which we were saddened to hear.

On the other hand, we appreciate and ​well ​noted​ ​your constructive feedback.
This will certainly help us improve and serve you and our other incoming guests in the near future.
Rest assured it will be communicated with the relevant departments and looked into.

Should you choose Phuket again for your family trip, we hope that you will return to us.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

So nice hotel where is a lot of things to do. There is mini land for kids and teen corner. Gym and sport lessons, water aerobic ect. Service is friendly. Food is really good. Breakfast is versatile. I love the porrage. There is also mini market. The hotel is at the beach. The Hotels pool area is wonderful!!

There is an other restaurant Opposite the hotel but other shops is 1,5 km far a way.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Edissa R, Communications Supervisor at Sunwing Bangtao Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2018

Dear Tiina M,

It was a pleasure to accommodate you here.
Thank you for taking the time to share us your excellent feedback.
We are delighted to hear that you liked our place and enjoyed what it has to offer
especially, the food.

See you then again next season.