“Disappointed after past lists were better”
Review of Cafe Mantra

Cafe Mantra
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Oakura
Cuisines: Indian
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Mantar offers great Indian food but I did not enjoy my last experience. Despite no longer serving pizza it remains on the menu and the waiting staff did not inform us. The music was terrible and loud making conversation hard. Our request for more water was forgotten. Needs to lift its game to get back to past levels.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

We visited for lunch and enjoyed something a little different... pasta and balsamic mushrooms. Both were tasty - the mushrooms quite rich. Service was ok - Could have been quicker and more attentive considering they were not busy. I would visit again to try curry dish.

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

Wasn't overly sure how an Indian restaurant that also did Pizza was going to work, but being in Oakura choices were limited, so gave this a try.

Very pleasantly surprised. We opted for the Indian food on the expansive menu and weren't disappointed. One of the better meals we have had outside of Asia.
The decor in the restaurant was classy and semi authentic with a bit of kiwi fusion. The staff were very good, friendly and helpful but not overwhelming.

Food was excellent and portion size was decent without being over large.

Friday night takeout business was busy too.

A little gem for this seaside town, and worth the drive out from New Plymouth.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Love the design, love the service, great coffee to boot. This building has been here for many years I must say I love the refurbishment that it's been through. Just a few blocks from the sea front it holds its own. It is now a restaurant cafe with a varied menu of New Zealand and Indian cuisine. This little gem is well worth the visit, while we only enjoyed our fab hot coffees I'm looking forward in returning to try out the menu. Highly recommend a visit.

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Ate at this restaurant recently & we were very impressed. I had the chef's special which was lamb cooked in a sauce with ginger & whiskey - like nothing I have ever tasted! The other dishes were also delicious but mine was the favourite. The service was friendly & efficient. Well worth the short drive from New Plymouth for this hidden gem.