8 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$834
PricelineUS$834
Orbitz.comUS$838
Trip.comUS$834
TravelocityUS$838
TripadvisorUS$834
1,696 results
All reviews copper bar hau tree mauna kea manta rays golf course main tower the big island beautiful beach mid century four seasons beachfront room clambake golf view understated elegance old hawaii beach bar banana bread
Selected filters
Reviewed 8 January 2021

We had a great visit in December 2020 at Mauna Kea. It was my first time at this resort and I was a bit hesitant about one pool on property- needless to say, we never even visited the one pool! Definitely a beach resort and the nicest beach in Hawaii.
All COVID protocols were in place. We had to be tested before we went and again when we landed in Kona. This made me feel safer and the resort did an excellent job as well.
We had breakfast at Manta every morning and two wonderful dinners there as well. You cannot beat the view and the food here.
Copper Bar was lovely and had great live music and drinks for our dinner there. We also enjoyed the Hau tree on the beach every day for lunch and cocktails- Jacques was our favorite!
We had an ocean view deluxe room and you truly cannot beat the view. When you walk in the only thing you can see is the ocean! We had a huge balcony and loved sitting out there for sunset. The room itself was a bit smaller than I would have expected but the rest of the trip made up for it. Concierge was also great with booking taxis and all of our reservations on and off property. Can't wait to come back!

Room tip: Tower - Ocean View
Date of stay: December 2020
Mauna Kea Resort, Agency / Consultant at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2021

It is truly our pleasure to deliver an enjoyable stay during your recent visit with us. Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience enjoying everything the resort has to offer. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 29 December 2020

This historic hotel had been shutdown during the pandemic and has just recently re-opened. We've missed being here and returning here has brought back fond memories.

Due to pandemic, the hotel has made some safety changes and really, it's for the good for all.

During our stay, the stay seemed to be in re-training mode and are working very hard to bring back their standards as best as they can. The ALOHA spirit is still there with every employee. You are greeted with an "Aloha" upon arrival and that spirit permeates through out your stay.

The beach is as beautiful as ever and being able to obtain drinks and food at the beach is still a luxury. And being able lay down in a beach chair with umbrella over you is heavenly.

Room tip: Upgrade to a luxury room. These were three rooms converted into two rooms.
Date of stay: December 2020
Mauna Kea Resort, Agency / Consultant at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2020

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us again and it was truly our pleasure to share and serve you with the spirit of Aloha. We are thrilled to hear that you were able to enjoy the same experience you have come to know and love. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come!

Reviewed 29 December 2020

My husband and I stayed at the Mauna Kea in November, arriving on Thanksgiving Day 2020 and departing December 1. Overall, we really enjoyed our stay there as it was a perfect getaway at a much needed time. Here are the pros and cons as I viewed them (for reference, I am an Ambassador member):

Pros:
- Location! You are a very short walk to the beach from your room. Just walk out of the hotel and you're basically there. Plus, the views from the oceanfront rooms are perfect!
- You don't have to pay for lounge chairs on the beach. Tip though - we learned quickly people head down first thing in the morning to reserve a chair (throwing a towel/shoes on it). Go down early if you want a closer chair to the beach and in the front row.
- The food at Manta and Copper was pretty good. We had free breakfast in the morning at Manta with my status which was totally worth it. And we basically found ourselves eating at Copper every evening as there isn't much else in the area. Luckily, the food was great, as was the ambience with having the beach right there and Hawaiian live music.
- The staff was, for the most part, friendly, welcoming, and helpful.

Cons:
- Rooms are a little outdated. While spacious, there were key touches that prevented me from giving it a 5. For example, the carpeting in the closet was ragged and old (luckily they provided slippers as I didn't want to touch it barefoot). The vanity areas were older and the caulking was sloppy (it looked like someone hurriedly either added it or tried to fix a leak, but it stuck out badly). For how much rooms are each night, it should be much more up to date.
- There were often long waits at Manta in the morning (even when there wasn't a crowd). I totally get staff is probably stretched a bit more and are juggling more tables which we were sympathetic to...but Management should probably be aware that it's affecting service. On our first morning, we were sat at the table but no one came to wait on us for 15 minutes (I timed it, giving them the benefit of a doubt!). I finally had to go say something and the woman at the front seemed like she couldn't have cared less. There were a couple other days where there were longer waits to get in because no one was at the front and the hostess wasn't too apologetic when she did return to the front. Our servers, on the other hand, were all great and friendly. Like I said, I'm sure this goes hand-in-hand with the various shortages and restrictions, but something to be aware of.
- Not so much a con, but something to be aware of - you'll definitely need a car, as there isn't much around the hotel. And if you want to do a tour somewhere, or go to a grocery store or restaurant, you can't rely on public transportation. Given that, there is onsite parking with a fee.
- My Suite Night Upgrade was fine - I'm happy I got an ocean view room. But we were on the lowest floor (5). I would have hoped to be a bit higher given my status.

In the end, I'm happy we stayed here and am glad we could support the tourism industry during a much needed time. If we went back to Kona, I would definitely consider staying here again, largely for the location and amenities!

Room tip: Get an ocean-facing room, and a higher floor than level 5 (based on how the balconies are staggered, you can see people above you outside)
Date of stay: November 2020
3  Thank Blair S

Aloha and mahalo for taking the time to share your review with us. We are thrilled to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us but do apologize for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. We assure you that serving each and every one of our guests with nothing but the highest service standards is what we strive for and I apologize if we fell short during your stay. We are so thankful you entrusted us with your stay in these uncertain times. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 23 December 2020

This is our 2nd visit to the property in 8 years and it's just how I remember it. They just re-opened in November due to COVID and they are doing their best with the COVID guidelines. Mask, social distance, work out equipment outdoors and hand sanitizers everywhere. No valet but bell staff to help with your luggage up to your room. Our room overlooked the ocean, great size shower and separate deep soaking bathtub. Copper restaurant is outdoors and relaxing with entertainment. Fabulous breakfast at Manta restaurant and the private beach is great with the lounge chairs spread apart. The ladies at the pool were on their game with cleaning table and chairs after each use. My husband and son did the Manta Ray swim but unfortunately, there were in Manta Rays in the area. We also took part in the luau which I felt was overpriced, the food wasn't that great and the show was just ok.

We are only here for 2 nights and I absolutely would choose to stay here every time.

2  Thank Zamamama
Mauna Kea Resort, Agency / Consultant at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2020

Aloha and mahalo for your review. With the mission not only to meet but exceed our guest's expectations, we are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time here at the resort. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come! Mahalo!

Reviewed 21 December 2020

We loved it so much, we kept extending! Keith in reservations was especially helpful (choosing rooms/booking/etc). The beach was the best we found in the area. Beautiful, great waves and it was easy to find chairs (at least in covid-times). The pool was unimpressive, if you are into that kind of thing.

They have a viewing area to see manta rays in the evening, which was incredibly cool and memorable.

They have a whole outdoor-ish area with 4-6 peloton bikes with safety protocols in place.

We looked forward to the breakfast every day. There was great service and views. Had dinner at the Copper Bar and loved the pizza, sushi and drinks.

We are already plotting our return :)

2  Thank Lauren B
Mauna Kea Resort, Agency / Consultant at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2020

Thanks for your review! We're glad you enjoyed the restaurants, the views, and the amenities here. We can't wait to welcome you back!