12 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Expedia.comUS$809
FindHotelUS$809
ZenHotels.comUS$928
Trip.comUS$809
TravelocityUS$809
Orbitz.comUS$809
All reviews canoe house surf shack million renovation pre renovation light switches pools including poolside service favorite resort bell staff the big island way over priced common areas location is excellent fabulous beach four seasons pupus water features
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 January 2021

My family has been going to the Mauna Lani since the dawn of time. We were super excited to go back after the big renovation and we hoped that the hotel had become a little more luxurious. The prices were nearly twice as high as pre-renovation.

Unfortunately, post renovation, little has changes. It is still a nice, relaxing hotel, but not one that's worth such a huge price increase. The rooms were tiny, with only minor changes to increase the style. The pool and beach area were also different, but only moderately, to again make them more stylish. The food was no better than pre-renovation, arguably even worse (our soft boil eggs were all hard boiled). I'm willing to have some empathy because we are in the midst of Covid, but if I'm paying what I paid, I expect better. The price didn't match the experience.

The big renovation seems like an excuse to bump up prices when the product is the same, albeit more instagramable than before. However, I wasn't there to post on instagram, I was there to have a luxurious beach vacation.

Despite my grievances, it was a relaxing vacation. The staff was lovely and they are not to blame in any way for my disappointment. I just don't feel like I got what I paid for. With a smaller price tag I'd have been pleased, but with this big price I'd rather go to a different hotel. So I'm sorry to say that my love affair with the Mauna Lani has ended. I won't be going back.

Some specific things (besides the prices) I disliked: small rooms, no desk in room, eggs cooked incorrectly, food only good (when for what I paid I'd want outstanding), they messed up our taxi to the airport bringing us close to missing our flight home, no option to reuse towels or do other environmentally friendly things, no bar snacks with our million dollar drinks, no snacks in the room, unless you got the expensive fruit plate the fruit was mediocre, etc. These are all prissy little things but when you pay such a price you expect some of this.

So, Mauna Lani, I recommend either lowering your prices or upping your standards. I'd pick a four seasons over you any day. But again, the staff was lovely. I'm sorry I won't be seeing them again.

1  Thank doryb2016
Thomas B, Guest Services / Front Office at Mauna Lani, Auberge Resorts Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2021

Aloha doryb2016,
We apologize that your experience at Mauna Lani did not meet your expectations. With your feedback, we can only improve. Please reach out directly at your earliest convenience.

1.808.885.6622

Reviewed 14 January 2021

We had the best vacation experience at the Mauna Lani Resort. Excellent food and customer service is above and beyond. The Mauna Lani Golf Course is amazing. We will absolutely return and highly recommend to all.

Aloha nateshaf2021,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your Mauna Lani experience! We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us on Hawaii Island.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 14 January 2021

Amazing times and great staff - Food at the canoe house was awesome
We felt welcome and safe
cleanliness and safety protocol were in place and felt effortless.
outdoor activities were great and lead by a young dynamic team
fantastic location and Beach
Strongly recommend

Aloha benoittouquette,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your your experience with us at Mauna Lani. We are so glad you felt safe and welcome, and that you were able to join us for outdoor activities. We will pass your note onto Chef Matt at CanoeHouse.

We look forward to welcoming you again when your travels bring you back to Hawaii.

Reviewed 14 January 2021

This spot of paradise provided everything and more! The kids club was easy and created some special memories for our kids (5 & 7). Room was perfect, and the restaurants were awesome. Canoe was the spot great sunsets and a menu that was different each time.

Date of stay: December 2020
1  Thank J2075PZmike

Aloha J2075PZmike,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your Mauna Lani experience! We are so glad your keiki made some memories at our Holoholo Kid's Club, and we hope you made some too! Glad you enjoyed CanoeHouse; there is not a more beautiful place to dine on the island.

Reviewed 11 January 2021

The resort itself was stunning.
All the staff showed aloha even the groundskeepers which really brought a sense of aloha to our stay.
The Kainalu Outrigger Experience was a life changing highlight of our trip. Josiah & Keanu were extremely knowledgeable and charismatic throughout the entire trip. I wish that all residents and visitors alike would be able to experience such an amazing and humbling ritual.

1  Thank MosMrKissoon

Aloha MosMrKissoon,

Mahalo for taking the time to share your Mauna Lani experience! We are so glad you felt the aloha here. The outrigger paddle is one of the most exciting and moving experiences here. We are so glad you were able to go out with Josiah and Keanu.